Laws on laser pointers in Australia explained

fixorater

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have a simple answer on Lasers in the US. My impression was that Class IIIB were legal as long as the device had appropriate safety mechanisms like a key and delay switch?

laserblue

Newly Enlightened
AS far as i know also Class IIIB is legal as long as it has the safety turnkey feature.

nero_design

Enlightened
Re: Laws on laser pointers in USA

I think there's a lot of confusion in the USA still.. and much of the problem is exasperated by false impressions by both Customs and the different variations of the law from State To State.

I was informed a couple of years ago that even with various safety features incorporated into the stronger Class 3B lasers, the user is still expected to own a "variance" in order to import, possess and operate the laser in the USA. Someone in the industry once told me that it was "easier to obtain a license for a fully automatic submachine gun that it was to obtain a laser variance". Worth considering. This relates only to US customs and not to Australia. Each state in Australia has a different rule for lasers to the next. Just watch out in Victoria (& possibly South Australia) and Western Australia where they're closely monitored and not permitted over 1mW without a special exemption permit from the Police commissioner of that state.

Citivolus

Enlightened
I've heard that NSW will soon have an amnesty period for you to turn in your >1mw lasers which are not only illegal to import but also illegal to own as of 1st July. There are exemptions available to certain groups, such as astronomy club members.

Regards,
Eric

Ramshaw

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from malaysia with a green laser from petaling street. I live in new south wales so does that mean my laser is illegal? It says on the label wavelength is 532nm and maximum output <20mW and it runs on two AAAs. I would not like to hand it in. If i walking around th streets of regional sydney pointing it at things, showing mw friends at school will that be illegal?

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes its illegal.

That 532nm wavelength isn't the problem, its the power rating (>20mW)

Anything over 1mW is no go. So you wont find any handheld lasers that are legal.

Since that laser is over 1mW, any use with it is illegal. :caution: LOL

Antz_cro

Newly Enlightened
well , yesterday i ordered a 5 Mw red laser poniter of ebaybut it was a module with a black and red wire coming out of it , it was the diode with a brass casing ,

and the item is located in america. the shipping will ship to sydney , ( i live in A.C.T where laws are not yet established ) and i am wondering if it goes to customs , will they let it through or not because laws for laser pointers are in actions in the NSW area but not in the A.C.T

thanx

Antz_cro

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
well , yesterday i ordered a 5 Mw red laser poniter of ebaybut it was a module with a black and red wire coming out of it , it was the diode with a brass casing ,

and the item is located in america. the shipping will ship to sydney , ( i live in A.C.T where laws are not yet established ) and i am wondering if it goes to customs , will they let it through or not because laws for laser pointers are in actions in the NSW area but not in the A.C.T

thanx

Antz_cro

Check the link to the customs page given above. To summarise, you'll have to get a form from state police saying that they're legal where you are, and then send that off to get an import permit.

Of course, they might not even check the package.

Martini101

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm currently in singapore but live in perth. I have a found a 50mW green laser but i'm not sure if customs would confiscate when I return, or would i need to declare it.

Thanks.

Martini101

Newly Enlightened
Well do you reckon there is a good chance that customs would either find it if it wasn't declared or would they definately confiscate is it was declared.

I promise I won't point it at people, or blind pilots with it. I'd probably only just use it in the house or burn balloons or matches and that'd be it.

buneyha

Newly Enlightened
I've order my laser about 1 month ago and has just been shipped from DX today. Has anyone from SA recently have any problem with custom for importing laser? is sucks that you can't get permit for owning laser in sa, cause it's not the laser that harms people it's the person using it!

Please pray for my laser not to be taken.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
funny - some would say lasers are no more dangerous than big sharp kitchen knives - (in the wrong hands) but we don't license those.

Just try wearing a kitchen knife in your belt walking down a suburban street... you'll soon see that it's morphed into a "Dangerous Article" unless you happen to be in Victoria where carriage (on person) of knives by the general population is prohibited regardless of type (limited occupational exemptions apply) ;)