Laws on laser pointers in Australia explained

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Customs only scans 1 in 25 containers and a little over 50% of mail entering Australia. (source search for 'glock australia post germany')
Do with that what you will.

Enticing readers with such information (regardless of accuracy) is highly irresponsible, working with the 1:25 ratio your proposing (for arguments sake) doesn't equate to which item will be scanned/checked out of the postal grouping, there are many (and varied) factors involved with the decisive filtering options made by Customs Officers...

Obviously shining these things at aircraft should get any idiot cuffed and dropped in a hole

+1 Agreed

I've been refurbishing several inexpensive laser projectors, and replacing the cheap lasers that came with them with higher powered and better performing blues and reds. At least at present these remain legal for import, not that somebody could get into just as much trouble powering them off a 12volt cigarette lighter.

That's because the current legislation is geared towards general public access (at least here in OZ) not business users and related service repairs, this is why building implements with lasers are permissible (here) because they are part of a leveling device and so on... not to overlook the astronomical pursuit utilising lasers which is AFAIK covered by a general exemption providing mounting/usage conditions are adhered to.

jklasers

Newly Enlightened
Yes, Laser Pointers are legal in Australia, but they have become more heavily regulated since mid-2008. The Australian Customs Service and most Australian State Governments toughened regulations on laser pointers due to the actions of a few idiots who were shining them at passenger aircraft.
Many people who I've spoken to seem to think that laser pointers have been banned in Australia. This is false.
To summarise the legal consensus, it is legal to buy laser pointers in Australia, provided that the emissions power is less than 1 miliwatt (1 mW) and that you have a reasonable excuse for owning one and having it in a public place.

I have been doing some reading and this is my understanding of the current situation as of October 2010: