Leadlight GPL-110 Modifications

LaserMod

Enlightened
Re: Leadlight GPL-110 Information

Bootleg - I thought you had an extreme or at least some deal with WL to comment on them... sorry about that.

You say you have shorted the 102 and got a difference in power... I suspect the feedback module is providing the information to the circuit that it is being overdriven.

The speculation is that the feedback sensor is not a LDR but a solar cell of some sort which will be harder to work around. You may want to try a resistor in series of the solar cell to see if this makes a difference?

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened

Ok so what i suggest is we post everything we have tried, even if it doesn't work so at least we can do this by process of elimination.

Double_E

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
CHP said:
I have a schematic together but the circuit looks "funky". I wouldn't have designed the circuit this way. I've simulated the circuit and it seems that the maximum current to the LD, if the feedback is disconnected, is much lower than the models without the feedback circuitry. I assumed that the IC is an op amp and that the feedback is actually a mini solar cell instead of a PD. The circuit tracks the pot movement (turn clockwise to increase output power) until the circuit's maximum current drive limit is reached. Then, further clockwise adjustment of the pot does nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

CHP, what did you simulate the circuit in? Do you have the file for others to mess with? Thanks

CHP

Newly Enlightened

Double E,

I have a hand drawn schematic that I have to transfer to something that others to read before I post. I used the evaluation of PSpice for the simulation. The simulation works and optically regulates fine. I have an idea of how to modify the circuit, but I don't have one of these to try. Is there a volunteer that has a current limited power supply, a 110, and a some soldering skills?

DaFiend

Enlightened

What the???? where are all the pictures gone????? both wyvern and laser mods.

bootleg2go

Enlightened

Hi CHP,
I have a very nice/fine pitched solder station
http://www.metcal.com/products/1.2.2.1.1.htm
as well as a 110 and powersupply. PM me and let me what you have come up with. This 110 has been modded already, replacing the 10K Res. above the pot with a 21k and the 102(1k)res. to the lower right of the pot shorted. If possible email me your schematic. The only question I have is how did you identify the types of transistors as well as that 5 pin component on the back, or are you just guessing as to what they are?

Jack

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
CHP said:
Double E,

I have a hand drawn schematic that I have to transfer to something that others to read before I post. I used the evaluation of PSpice for the simulation. The simulation works and optically regulates fine. I have an idea of how to modify the circuit, but I don't have one of these to try. Is there a volunteer that has a current limited power supply, a 110, and a some soldering skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

i will have a 110 by the end of the week (hopefully) and some soldering skills but no psy :-(

LaserMod

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DaFiend said:
What the???? where are all the pictures gone????? both wyvern and laser mods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I've been messing with the website this evening...should be back on now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaFiend

Enlightened

good, cause i think i might have found some one who may be able to help us with this problem while over in the cafe, and wanted him to check it out. we'll see what happens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Double_E

Newly Enlightened

CHP, is there a way I could get your PSpice files, I'd like to see the way you simulated the optical feedback?

DaFiend

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DaFiend said:
good, cause i think i might have found some one who may be able to help us with this problem while over in the cafe, and wanted him to check it out. we'll see what happens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. No good. jeffb said he'd need to exactly what we've been doing. simulation, reverse engineering etc. we are on the right track & i thanked him for taking the time to look at this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

from the cafe thread "what's your occupation?"(extract from jeffb's post):
[ QUOTE ]
jeffb said:

Sales, Application and Design;

Sensors (Photoelectric (with LED's snd fibers),Proximity, Ultrasonic, Laser ), PLC,s and Operator Interface, Motion and Drives, Safety (Light Curtains, Mats, Safety Switches), Industrial Newtwork, I/O, Switches, Cable (Industrial Ethernet, DeviceNet, Profibus, Asi, etc), Process meters, counters, timers. Industrially "Hardened" Computers and Monitors, Vision Systems (LED lighting).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to get your hopes up guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CHP

Newly Enlightened

Double E,

I'm using MicroSim's Pspice version 7.1 for the simulation. PM me your e-mail if you can work with the .cir file. I'm using a current controlled voltage source as the "optical" feedback. The current sense is in series with the LD and the controlled voltage is fed back on the same two wires as on the circuit board. I have the gain set to 2, but the control is really a difference between the pot setopint and the feedback.

CHP

Newly Enlightened

bootleg2go,

My guess is that one 3-pin package is a zener diode, two 3-packages are NPNs, the other two are PNPs. I'm guessing the 5 pin package is a single op amp. Did you see a change with your mod? I think the 10K is in series with the zener and changing it to a 21k would not do much. The 1k that you shorted is providing the base drive for an NPN in series with the LD and should have helped increase the maximum current somewhat. The problem, as I see it, is that there are two NPNs in series with the LD which limit the maximum LD current. PM me your e-mail.

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
CHP said:
Double E,

I'm using MicroSim's Pspice version 7.1 for the simulation. PM me your e-mail if you can work with the .cir file. I'm using a current controlled voltage source as the "optical" feedback. The current sense is in series with the LD and the controlled voltage is fed back on the same two wires as on the circuit board. I have the gain set to 2, but the control is really a difference between the pot setopint and the feedback.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have pspice 9 and would like to have a look ia the file if i could i'll pm you my email address

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened

i just recieved my 110 and did thth pot mod on it and it worked a treat i'm esimating about 25-30 as it is much brighter that my 20mw pointer i have in pieces on my desk waiting for a new diode - on which note what is the most powerful 5.6mm diode for glp, where can i get it and how much does it cost?