Led lights with infinitely variable brightness?

Glow_Worm

Newly Enlightened
Here's the thread on the Coast light w/ this feature. A link to the Coast model is in Post #9.

<https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174181&highlight=7798>

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Here's the thread on the Coast light w/ this feature. A link to the Coast model is in Post #9.

<https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174181&highlight=7798>

Nice! Thanks for that - another worthy consideration! Unfortunately its not edc size but still cool. I already have a modded 7438 so I can exchange the tail to get this feature which is awesome.

So far the list for lights available with infinite/extreme brightness adjustability is as follows:

1)Peak First Responder (knob adjustment)
2)Surefire Titan (knob adjustment)
3)Various Liteflux models (cycles through to appropriate mode required)
4)Photon Freedom/Photon Rex (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
5)VB-16 Dealextreme light with 32 brightness levels (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
6)Gatlight v3 (knob adjustment)
7)Coast Frogman/Dimm (knob adjustment)
8)The current AND upcoming (2008) cree based LRI Proton (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
9)Novatac 120P (press and hold digital brightness ramping)

The list is looking good and hopefully a few more can be added. I still feel the only light with this feature that can be used practically as a edc is the titan. Yikes!

Last edited:

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Hmm you're right! From reading a fairly comprehensive review I've come to understand that the 'click click press' function ramps the brightness up and down. 22 levels is pretty damn adjustable in my book so it should go on the list!

Thanks for the suggestion. If only it was a liiittttle bit smaller. Still, a worthy consideration.

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looked at these little edcs thoroughly. From what I can gather, they have 22 levels to cycle through in order to choose a preset but you can't fluently cycle through those modes with ease for general use... Or can you?
I don't know if it's fluidly, but 2 quick clicks and a press(hold button down) starts the light ramping up levels let go when you get to desired brightness. Once letting go of the clicky, if you repeat the process it ramps down levels.

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm you're right! From reading a fairly comprehensive review I've come to understand that the 'click click press' function ramps the brightness up and down. 22 levels is pretty damn adjustable in my book so it should go on the list!

Thanks for the suggestion. If only it was a liiittttle bit smaller. Still, a worthy consideration.
It's really not much bigger than a Fenix P2D here's a link to a picture with both lights(and more) for comparison:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2115989&postcount=1

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
If I can't find a edc with knob adjustability (titan *cringe*) I'd definately consider the novatac. Maybe I'll just buy a novatac for the hell of it because its such a fine little light and still continue on with my pursuit for a knob adjustable edc (titan *cringe*) ;)

Gatsby

Enlightened
If user adjustable levels (rather than infinitely adjustable levels) any light with a Flupic board installed (the main candidates for drop ins that I can recall were the Jil CR2/JCR2, the Nuwai Q3, the Exolion, and I believe TNC custom lights have some drop in or premade modules) have a fairly wide range of user adjustable settings - but it is a set it and forget it kind of operation (much like the Liteflux and the Arc 4/HDS but apparently not the Novatac which has an easier access to the user levels).

I just got a Jil JCR2 IT and have been playing with it a bit, interesting UI with a fair amount of flexibility.

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
Sounds interesting. I've heard the term flupic tossed around this forum and knew it was related to regulation but didnt know the specifics.

My whole reason behind starting this thread was to tap into fellow members knowledge in order to collate a list of lights with manual adjustability. Due to there not being a great deal available with this feature I MIGHT have to settle for something else.

The crux of the matter for me is that a manual rotating knob as a means of adjusting brightness is very appealing and not to mention more practical than any other digital alternative.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds interesting. I've heard the term flupic tossed around this forum and knew it was related to regulation but didnt know the specifics.

My whole reason behind starting this thread was to tap into fellow members knowledge in order to collate a list of lights with manual adjustability. Due to there not being a great deal available with this feature I MIGHT have to settle for something else.

The crux of the matter for me is that a manual rotating knob as a means of adjusting brightness is very appealing and not to mention more practical than any other digital alternative.
It only has 6 levels but a Surefire U2 has a rotating collar behind the head for brightness adjustment.

Gladius01

Enlightened
Just wondering which current led lights out there, preferably in the EDC category have a rotating knob that controls the brightness level.

I'm pretty sure the gatlight v3 had/has this type of brightness control and whilest I never liked that light, I love the feature itself and want at least one light in my collection to have it.

Any suggestions?

Eh! Blackhawks Gladius might have similar but the only think is you select the function and you continiously pressing the knob and it will increase or decrease the bightness of the light.

Also the WiseLED Tactical do the same functions and I think have 13 steps.

Last edited:

Photongun

Newly Enlightened
I have actually owned a wiseled tactical. It's an impressive light but not all that practical. It's highest level constantly drops to compensate for heat generation and has to be manually ramped up every other minute. Also its (digital) variable brightness control is very imprecise.

I have been playing with my old Proton Lri and its feature set and interface are actually pretty usable and impressive. It's digital variable brightness control is quite seamless and while it's all a done with the push of one button its quite practical. I will definately be buying the new Lri being released next year as a possible edc.

Led lenser's 7798 is also on the cards as a solid, bright and reasonably priced light with manual knob seamless brightness adjustment. Unfortunately it aint edc size.

Ultimately I'm hung up on having an edc with good output and a manual rotating knob with seamless brightness transitioning. The surefire titan, as putridly exorbitant as it is, might be the only light meeting the criteria! :ironic:

The Voice of Reason

Newly Enlightened
Resurrecting an old thread - the beauty of the "search" button! :grin2:

This is exactly what I am looking for...

It would be interesting to see if there were any significant update to the list from an earlier post in this thread (reproduced below):

So far the list for lights available with infinite/extreme brightness adjustability is as follows:

1)Peak First Responder (knob adjustment)
2)Surefire Titan (knob adjustment)
3)Various Liteflux models (cycles through to appropriate mode required)
4)Photon Freedom/Photon Rex (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
5)VB-16 Dealextreme light with 32 brightness levels (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
6)Gatlight v3 (knob adjustment)
7)Coast Frogman/Dimm (knob adjustment)
8)The current AND upcoming (2008) cree based LRI Proton (press and hold digital brightness ramping)
9)Novatac 120P (press and hold digital brightness ramping)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since 2007, there are LOTS of infinitely variable lights. From NiteCore to Energizer to AKOray.

...and from SF (Titan T1A and Saint/Minimus). It's kinda funny reading the earlier posts in this thread talking about a secret new version of the Titan to come in the future. :laughing:

-Robert

Rexlion

Enlightened
Since 2007, there are LOTS of infinitely variable lights. From NiteCore to Energizer to AKOray.
Yeah, if you are willing to go with a different control method, you have all kinds of possibilities. The Nitecore D10 and EX10 ramp up/down by pressing and holding the piston. The ITP C7 and C9 ramp by loosening the head, tighten when you get to the desired level. Plenty of others, but I own these two brands so I'm familiar with 'em.

Latest posts