LEDs can have a negative effect on your health and eyesight.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my experience with wood burning stoves... 3 feet of snow on the ground, log cabin, all windows open, front door open, shirtless w/shorts, and fresh air. Heated front porch. The stove was a little big for this place, basically a full beer keg sized stove in a small room, but in the mountains, they don't mess around. May still be there, I am speaking of the only log cabin I saw on the New River, last property before the park.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Not sure it matters now, but if you come across such a set up. 6" computer fans in one of the top corners of all the doorways spreads the heat throughout the house, making only one stove work everywhere. So the bathroom door would stay open, usually, then shut when in use. Not my idea, but I have seen this used to excellent effect. I am a huge fan of wood burning stoves, especially the small modern ones. I hope someday to have a need for and money for and get a Kimberly. Outrageously expensive, but super efficient, super neat stove.

When he was married to x wife #3 they had 3 stoves. She got the two small ones in the divorce. X wife #2 got the old natural gas heater.

He lives in the huvel my ancestors built when they first arrived to America from Germany. My great great grandfather saw things taking place under the Kaiser and got the heck out of there while he could. A few years later WW1 broke out. It's a half house where he built the first half thinking some day he'd build the other half. My brother added plumbing and a kitchen in the 1970's. And now he has "modernized" the ceiling lights to CFL bulbs when the 4 for $1 light bulbs kept blowing every few days.
He's retired so I suppose if the lights he uses affect his sleep it really doesn't matter much.

325addict

Enlightened
So, there we have it. Since the invention of LED lighting for home and office use, I couldn't stand that light. And I mainly stick to incans for my flashlights too, as the quality of their light is SO much better. As soon as just RUMOURS were there that incandescent light bulbs were to be ruled out in a few years completely, I started to buy them in bulk. Currently I have MORE than enough incan light bulbs to last for the rest of my life. I have chandeliers all over my home (even one in the toilet!) and these use anywhere between 5 and 16 bulbs. The larger ones can be switched in two halves, in the living room I have special bulbs having an extra low color temperature (the so called "Rustika" bulbs with an enormous filament, not even blinding when you look straight into them), half of these are 25 Watts and the other half has 40 Watts. I may have a total of around 700 of these candle-bulbs, so that will be enough for the years to come. LEDs as home lighting? NEVER! Not in my home, that is.

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
I like my 2700K CFL's...cheap to run like LED's but no/low flicker like halogen...

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compact fluorescent lights can be taken to Best Buy for (hopefully) safe disposal. LED lights are more efficient but it is probably a more appropriate utilization of resources to let the CFL's be used till failure. Given that our family gets our electricity from the sun, we go completely LED and have no issues whatsoever. We did go with 2700K-3200K warm light, but have two motion detector lights in the bathroom (warm) and kitchen (ugly cool temperature low CRI).

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one could exploit the benefits of each type of light in specific applications. If you had a plan such as:

Incan high CRI...bathroom vanity, other areas that call for color distinction like a study or reading space

Quality (°K) CFL...bedrooms, living areas, kitchen and areas with long run times still have cost savings

LED..outside, rooms with high duty cycles

CFL do mot perform well in the cold nor have good lifespan when switched on/off, they perform well when they can be powered up and left on for at least 10 mins.

Put a fan in front of your LED lights or even wave your hand quickly, you may be surprised at the PWM you can detect.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or forgo installed lighting completely and not contribute to light pollution, and just carry a good flashlight. Keep a basket full of them by the door to hand to guests. This would really reduce lighting bills.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keyword there "in". As long as you don't break them it will remain "in" them...

I broke a few

Edit: I know one of them was broken when a wasp got inside and I was trying to hit it with something. The light was close above me. The stuff might have got on my skin and I may have inhailed it. All I know is there was a gas coming out what was left of the bulb.

Last edited:

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
Put a fan in front of your LED lights or even wave your hand quickly, you may be surprised at the PWM you can detect.

I record 240FPS video with my phone to check light bulbs for flicker. Shows LED's to be the worst offenders.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I record 240FPS video with my phone to check light bulbs for flicker. Shows LED's to be the worst offenders.

I have never done any of these tests although I have heard about this flicker.

Nothing is simpler than a bit of heat, metal filament and a reflector.......Having said that, I wonder if there is flicker when we use an incan bulb in combination with AW soft start/three level switch when used on the low level......anyone has any info on this?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would assume that is PWM. AW would have wanted the lamp powered at full V even on low, and PWM will accomplish this. Not so bad as when on LED, because the filament never gets cool enough to go completely dark. Sometimes it can be seen, though. LightSaver Miser also uses PWM on the medium and low modes. Personally, I don't mind it on incan as much as with LED. The dimmer switch used most often in dining rooms for chandeliers has a similar effect, but that is not PWM, rather the electricity alternating between positive and negative drops to nothing as it crosses zero, again, with the filaments not getting cool enough to not prodouce some light.