Li-ion to jump start a car?

rpm00

Enlightened
Re: The new lithium-ion jumpstarters

I was thinking of getting one of the Anker models as I've found them to be a pretty reliable company.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Re: Battery Jumpstarters

If that is truly 30,000mah or 30Ah then it is about 360 watts which has more available power than SLA packs. I think there is two things needed... high current capability and enough capacity to sustain cranking long enough to start an engine. Most engines these days start a lot easier than older engines but if you did get a car that has a hard time starting some of these packs may poop out after the pack depletes. a 30Ah pack that is turning an engine that takes 400-500 amps can theoretically maintain cranking for about 6 minutes or so but one thing to consider is that battery packs wear in time and capacity is reduced so half way through the life of the pack your 6 minutes of cranking time may drop to closer to 3 minutes which would have you needing to recharge it after every use. I have a feeling we will see more and more of these lion packs in stores as people will be more impressed by the small size and claims than realizing the actual use of them may not meet up with expectations a few years down the line.

What I have written is absolutely true witnessed with my own eyes a few weeks before xmas.
The garage owner gave me the jump pack to look at before he used it & when he passed it to me saying "what do you think of this" I thought he was giving me his new mobile phone to look at.
He then told me what it was & that it had been given to him by a rep to try out.
He said that he had used it to start a few small cc petrol engined cars & was going to see if it would start a 3 litre diesel engined pick up that they had just done a top end re-build on.
It started it easily & he said that he was very impressed with it.
I am not 100% sure if it was the same pack as in the ebay link I posted just that that pack has the same lime green end as his.
Capacity claims may well be over inflated as per a lot of chinese stuff but the one he has certainly works.
Next time I see him I will ask how he is getting on with on it.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
NOCO has a video showing their GB30 starting a V8 Ford F150 after both the truck and booster were at -30C for 2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSKU0nKY4I
I watched the video and to be honest I noticed two things going on here the first is it seems like the truck wasn't -20C to begin with and was put in I guess a freezer for 2 hours along with the battery pack and there is no way an engine at even 10C can drop to -20C in 2 hours unless you have colder temps than that blowing at the block itself. The second thing I noticed was the sound of it starting sounded like it wasn't cranking anywhere near as fast as normal and it was sounding like just before it started it was starting to slow down cranking speed and that was with less than 15 seconds of use. Now this may be fine if your car starts easily in cold weather the first time. Sometimes my truck won't start the first time I crank it I have to pause for a few seconds and try again and then it starts. I may be a skeptic but if you go on over to amazon.com and start reading the negative reviews you start to get a picture that this pack may be woefully underpowered. These days it is quite easy to flood the internet with fake reviews and to be honest it sort of looks that way on youtube with most of the reviews coming from the company itself (sponsored).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just noticed that some reviewers were claiming to be skeptical of this products high ratings because a lot of the 5 star ratings were from people who got the product free (Vine program) and may not even have sincerely tried it out enough to give it an honest rating. I would be certainly willing for a CF expert to chime in that has this product and can give us a less biased opinion.

Whitedog1

Newly Enlightened
Interesting thread! I'm joining in to be up2date! :naughty:

Got this one yesterday: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00QJL4Z8C/
20000mAh and 300A (600peak) starting Amps.
Did a discharge test at the EC5 plugs (which are, i assume direct battery poles...?) and got from the 3s battery ~3000mAh!!
I then did a start test at my Octavia 2l Diesel engine without the main battery connected.
The first time i cranked it didn't start, a few seconds later at the second attemt it started!

So i think with the main battery connected, even when it is broken down, it should be possible to start the engine with this jump starter!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

You can make your own car starter by buying a 3S Lipo battery for about $50 (example: 11.1V 5200mAh 50C )
and making some cables w/alligator clips that will adapt to the 3S connector in place

..just need a Lipo charger

>> Lipo batteries have much greater C ratings than Li-Ion
Lipo = big Amp currents

3S are listed as 11.1V,, fully charged they are 12.6V & that's the important number

Last edited:

Whitedog1

Newly Enlightened
I also tested this one recently: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00PGXSJG8/

I got 4600mAh out from the 3s lipo battery!
It is rated for 300A cont. and 600A Peak!
I did a start test with disconnected main battery on my 2L diesel engiene and it started at the first attemt! (the car was sitting over night at 5°C!)
So for me this is the best jupm starter in this class! I can recommend to anyone with a diesel engine!

All the others rated as 200/400A are not suitable for diesel engines!
Also be Aware of the weight of the jump starter - it should be around 450g to have enough lipo power inside to start a diesel engine! (just my findings after testing some different models!)

@orbital:
you are right, but you didn't get the decent housing with the other Features! Maybe useful sometime.... :candle: :rock:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I also tested this one recently: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00PGXSJG8/

I got 4600mAh out from the 3s lipo battery!
It is rated for 300A cont. and 600A Peak!
I did a start test with disconnected main battery on my 2L diesel engiene and it started at the first attemt! (the car was sitting over night at 5°C!)
So for me this is the best jupm starter in this class! I can recommend to anyone with a diesel engine!

All the others rated as 200/400A are not suitable for diesel engines!
Also be Aware of the weight of the jump starter - it should be around 450g to have enough lipo power inside to start a diesel engine! (just my findings after testing some different models!)

@orbital:
you are right, but you didn't get the decent housing with the other Features! Maybe useful sometime.... :candle: :rock:
Most cars around here are larger than 2L my truck has a 4.0L V6 in it. Get an older car with a 5.7L motor in it and these jump start packs would have their hands full.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
…………………...I did a start test with disconnected main battery on my 2L diesel engiene and it started at the first attemt! (the car was sitting over night at 5°C!)………………..

Was the booster battery also at 5C?

Whitedog1

Newly Enlightened
Was the booster battery also at 5C?

no, at room temperature!

@Lynx_Arc
Yea, i'm from Europe... :wave:
yours is a Petrol engine right? (4.0L V6) Because these need not as high amps during cranking as diesel engines! So your V6 can probably started also with this device! :thinking:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

if an alternator keeps a cars electrical system running at 14V..

Wonder if a 4S Lipo pack charged up to 14V, would be a stronger option for a starter setup??
200amps @ 14V is clearly stronger than 12ish

Although the cells aren't up to full charge, so this may effect amp current,, hmmm

watts = amps x volts

Last edited:

Whitedog1

Newly Enlightened
+
if an alternator keeps a cars electrical system running at 14V..

Wonder if a 4S Lipo pack charged up to 14V, would be a stronger option for a starter setup??
200amps @ 14V is clearly stronger than 12ish

Although the cells aren't up to full charge, so this may effect amp current,, hmmm

Yes, personally .... if I would use just a blank battery to start i would use a 4s life battery which is at full Charge at 4*3,6V=14,4V !! :bow:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think one problem with a 14v starting battery able to put out over 200amps would be the impact on the vehicles battery as you essentially try to "charge" it at a 200A rate the results may not be optimal (could be dangerous).

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
My friend bought one of these recently from Costco UK & showed it to me today.
It was just off the charger (5 minutes) & showing fully charged.
According to my DMM it showed 12.27v ?

spencer

Enlightened
How well does it work in low temp environments?
I didn't read this whole thread but most of it. I live in Canada and it is safe to say that for at least 8 months of the year, none of these products would ever work. The only way they would ever work is if they charged the lead acid battery for long enough that it was able to provide enough power to crank the vehicle. Due to the extreme cold where I live, batteries that start to preform poorly get weeded out on an annual basis. The most common reason people need a boost where I live is because the vehicle is almost always kept in a garage and the vehicle got parked outside too long the block got WAY colder than usual.

Unless the battery is nearly new, you almost always need decent synthetic oil to start an engine with a block and battery core temperature of -20C. It also doesn't help that a significantly larger portion of the vehicles in this county are trucks/SUVs, or at the very least vans, and have higher displacement engines than nearly all cars.

Another thing working against these chargers is that they are most likely kept in the vehicle and have the same temperature as the engine. All battery performance is degraded at low - and exponentially so at extreme low - temperatures. For those who have never seen below even 10F (-12C) this may be unfathomable to you.

In summary, the starter would have to be VERY premium, have a very heavy (relative) and short cable, be kept at roomish temperature, and have excellent batteries in it to even stand a chance where I live.

SemiMan

Banned

Lead acid batteries charge at over 14 volts and for short term high current I am not worried.

LiPo IS lithium ion. It is a construction method not a chemistry for the nth time :)

Posted by really crappy Tapatalk app that is questionable wrt respect of personal data.

SemiMan

Banned

AGM batteries still do quite well at -20C, much better than flooded and much better than lithium chemistries. With the low weight of the boosters I wonder how much self heating comes into play after the first couple quick boost attempts?

On average cars in Canada are smaller than the US.

Posted by really crappy Tapatalk app that is questionable wrt respect of personal data.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Couple reasons why I was banging-on about just getting a 3~4S rc pack & making your own

> while back my battery was just not enough to start, really not in a spot to get a jump,,, could have used a Lipo boost
..second about making you own,, Lipo batteries don't like to be stored in fully charged state, so it's a bit of a conundrum for those nice units with USB ect.*

I'd rather ruin a $50 battery over time than a $90~140 complete setup.

*which are using Lipo batteries anyway