Light failures thread

STR

Newly Enlightened
The Light is the TerraLux LightStar 100 model. The button seems to be iffy at least on mine. Several times now the light for no reason at all shuts off on it's own during use. Comes right back on after this but no rhyme or reason as to why this happens. Seems to make a sound like something is moving position or shifting in the switch when this occurs. Other times rather than shut off it just changes settings on it's own. That event has only happened twice though. Even working correctly this light is not what I thought it would be with the very narrow almost too narrow beam its pre-set at. This switch issue is the real worry though. Nice light other than this. This one will be going back for a repair/or refund here shortly.

jamie.91

Enlightened
My ITP a3 Eos one day just decided to stop working, i tried the usual, new cells, clean threads and check contacts but no glory :(

At a guess i would say the led remains but the driver is at fault

l337m4n

Newly Enlightened
The tail cap switch on my romisen rc-n3 has broken twice in the two times i used it. It's now on the third one and probably doesn't even have 5 mins of runtime :(.

bronzet

Newly Enlightened
Olight M20 R5 low,medium and strobe works but the highest setting does not work.Rarely used and never been dropped so no idea how it broke.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD20 failed to turn on with alkaline AA's (they were not leaking). After taking it apart the LED board in the head was loose. I thought about sending it back to Fenix but they only offer a 30 month maximum warranty (I've owned it for 4 years) so I threw it away rather than incur repair charges.

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
I bought a new old stock Nitecore EX10 (XP-E R2) back in October. After receiving it, I checked the light to make sure everything was in working order. The light was then stored and not used. Yesterday, I decided to power it up and nothing happened. I tried several batteries with no luck. Not sure what to do at this point.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
My Eagle Tac p20A2 worked great for about five days. Now it is terribly weak with freshly AA charged batteries. Contacted retailer, tried cleaning, tightening, etc. Replacement module is on the way apparently.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My little iTP Ti (AAA) model stopped working. Cleaned the threads and tried a different cell and it's dead. No clue why it stopped working. It just didn't work one day when I tried it. I guess I'll just throw it away, don't know what else to do with it ...........:mad:

Last edited:

bronzet

Newly Enlightened
Your lights that failed

Just curious what lights you owned that failed with just regular use.So far i have 2.

The Klarus XT10 just compltely died on me.I have never dropped it and its main use is when i walk my dogs at night,not to mention its only 2 months old.Its too bad since i love the UI and their tail switch :sigh:

Olight M20 warrior partially works meaning the highest mode is gone :shrug: but the medium and low works fine.Basically it was my "walk the dog" light till the Klarus came along.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Your lights that failed

The only two I've had fail are an Ultrafire 602c (first high power LED light), which I fixed, and a Solarforce with a bad solder job on the pill (also fixed).

All the rest have been flawless.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

These flashlights failed to light or went dim suddenly:

Arc AAA-P DS (received dead from Arc, replaced by Arc)
Peak 3-LED Matterhorn (replaced by Peak)
River Rock 1AA 1 watt - died after 2nd battery (replaced by dealer)

These flashlights failed or became intermittant shortly after purchase:

Gerber Tempo (returned to dealer for refund)
Inova X1 2nd generation (replaced by dealer)
Inova T1 tailcap (tailcap replaced by Inova)
Inova X5 several of the 55 lumen variety, flashing LED (replaced by dealer)

This flashlight became intermittant after modest usage:

Snap-On penlight, pushbutton switch began to flake out.

Lost 2 Maglites due to alkaline battery leakage.
Maglite Solitaire became intermittant

For more flashlight failures, see the earlier thread entitled What lights have failed on you?.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

1 arc-aaa that flickered and died getting very hot.suspect converter death via short.
replaced by arc.
brass peak 3 led aaa.
bad engagement of oring let head fall out and get lost.
replaced by peak.
all others not to be considered failure.battery leaks,dirty switch,ect.
several arc-ls torn down and upgraded as better led's came along.

jorgen

Enlightened

I've also had 2 fail. the first was a Brookstone AAA. I got it about 6 years ago. t was my first Led. I liked it a lot but dropped it once too often in about a year.
The second was a Nitecore D20 with an alky battery leak. I applied Deoxit and I got it to turn on again but it would not ramp. After a couple more application I can now change brightness with some difficulty. I never cared too much for this light even when it worked right.

LedTed

Enlightened

Not counting the LED FLs I received not working, my SpiderFire C-013 locked in programmable mode after only about a month of casual EDC use.

whill44

Enlightened

Three out of three itp aaa standard (single mode) all failed within 14 months. All three were gifts. One died after coming apart in the washing machine. The other two were carried in their owners pockets and use daily and of course dropped on the ground from time to time. It was after one of these drops (the last one as it turns out) that both lights failed.

Last edited:

Numb

Newly Enlightened
4sevens mini AA and CR2. The first stopped working after being dropped from waist high the other just stopped working. A nightcore D10 got wet inside (bad O-ring).5 Lots of cheap lights that I kind of knew was going to break when i bought them. And of cause the lights that I dropped i the sea, lost in the woods or drove over with the lawnmower. ;-)

/N