• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Logan QTC

sassaquin

Enlightened
If not for the $13 shipping charge to MA, I would have ordered at least two Peaks already. I ordered an Eiger AAA from Peak directly in April and the shipping charge was $5. However, it took Peak over six weeks to get my light to me with no communication or status updates at all even though I emailed them three times for an update. I realize they are extremely busy with the QTC launch, but they should hire a customer service person to handle the phones and emails. The wait was certainly worth it, but would have been easier if I had a little communication along the way.

After reading about the Logan QTC, I know I will break down soon and order a SS model - I am very intrigued by this QTC technology. Does the QTC break down and need to be replaced? If so, does Peak warranty it or sell replacement pieces?

Update - I broke down and ordered a SS 123 Logan QTC on 7/1. Bob was very helpful in answering my questions regarding the QTC via the online chat.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading about the Logan QTC, I know I will break down soon and order a SS model - I am very intrigued by this QTC technology. Does the QTC break down and need to be replaced? If so, does Peak warranty it or sell replacement pieces?

It does break down but with the pill, Curt mentioned it should have 1000 cycles before it breaks down. Not sure how they will handle replacements.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but then it functions as just a full single power #8 level Peak light. Not sure of the runtime of that in an Eiger or El Capitan but I'm guessing pretty bleak like under 10 hours.

Curt R

Enlightened
I have no idea how long the QTC will last in the pill that I
have made for it. I stopped my testing after 1000 full on
off cycles and it still seemed to be working the same as
when I started the test. I did not say that it would work
for 1000 cycles and then not work, that is what someone
on here inferred from what I had previously wrote here. I
had other things to do than sit for hours and twist on and
off and on and off... As for sending extra parts, that is
normally a waste as the parts are so small that they are
easily misplaced, lost in a drawer, and latter what the hell
are these things? All of those small parts are free for the
asking, (windows, trim rings, donuts, o-rings), when you send
a SASE, and the info as to what they are for. We have been
in continuous business operation since June of 1975.

The QTC pill is easily opened for maintenance if require and
then reassembled. We modify the QTC material before we
assemble the pill so as to lessen the force required for activation.
The Eiger AAA size QTC is different from the larger battery units.

Curt

De-Lux

Enlightened
Kurt,
Would it be possible to order a Logan #8 wide with QTC and momentary switch in the 17500 body directly through Peak? I have ordered a couple eigers in the past directly from you and was happy with the service. I do not mind waiting either as I know you are quite busy. I would order from Bob but I know he does not have the Logan in a wide optic. Thank you for your time.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kurt,
Would it be possible to order a Logan #8 wide with QTC and momentary switch in the 17500 body directly through Peak? I have ordered a couple eigers in the past directly from you and was happy with the service. I do not mind waiting either as I know you are quite busy. I would order from Bob but I know he does not have the Logan in a wide optic. Thank you for your time.

+1 I'd like to know the same thing.

DUMDUM

Enlightened
Guys you can check with Curt I don't believe that we make a wide optic in anything but the Eiger. I would carry it if we did.
Thanks
Bob

DUMDUM

Enlightened
The standard ship is narrow that's what the factory shipped me I have asked for a few mediums in the next shipment. I think
that the beam is alot more pleasing in narrow. More defined hotspot That's just me.
Bob

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, that might be your preference but mine is flood. I'd like a medium instead of narrow. I wish this was disclosed before I bought mine as I would have never purposely bought a narrow.

Death's Head

Enlightened
yeah, that might be your preference but mine is flood. I'd like a medium instead of narrow. I wish this was disclosed before I bought mine as I would have never purposely bought a narrow.
You could have asked before you purchased it. Bob has been very helpful for any of my questions. I've contacted him via email, phone and his chat customer service. He's almost always available during normal daytime hours.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never thought of asking as nothing was disclosed so you'd have to assume medium was standard and wide or narrow would naturally be special requests with medium being the norm.

Death's Head

Enlightened
Never thought of asking as nothing was disclosed so you'd have to assume medium was standard and wide or narrow would naturally be special requests with medium being the norm.

I can understand that.
I noticed that some of his standard Eigers came in narrow and medium, so I asked to make sure that I was getting was a narrow QTC Eiger.

jorgen

Enlightened

I would be unhappy if I received a narrow beam as well. So thank you for bringing this up before I placed my order for a SS Logan.

netprince

Enlightened
I have a question for you others with QTC logans. Have you noticed this?

As I slowly tighten the head, I get a nice gradual increase in brightness until about 1/3 or 1/2 brightness, then it jumps to full power and doesn't get brighter. Slowly loosen the head and I get a jump from full brightness to about 1/2 or 1/3 power and then a gradual decrease until the light is off.

Anybody? Thanks.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my mind is made up for a Logan 17500 SS pocket. I was thinking it may be a bit heavy for EDC but I have smaller lights for that. It just looks fantastic in SS and I like the heft when using a small light. The 17500 should fit nice in the hand with the slightely longer length and wider diameter. The extended runtime is nice too.

If the beam is similar to my El Captain narrow optic, I will be a happy camper since it has a great balance of spill and throw. Even if it is a bit more narrow that is a plus to me. The one thing I would prefer is a glass lens. My 2 or more year old El Captain shows scratches even with infrequent pocket carry.

Now the wait begins.

Last edited:

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I have a question for you others with QTC logans. Have you noticed this?

As I slowly tighten the head, I get a nice gradual increase in brightness until about 1/3 or 1/2 brightness, then it jumps to full power and doesn't get brighter. Slowly loosen the head and I get a jump from full brightness to about 1/2 or 1/3 power and then a gradual decrease until the light is off.

Anybody? Thanks.

I would like to hear from others how this works. I have heard it is jumpy, but this sounds broken, for a lack of a better term.

netprince

Enlightened
FWIW, I replaced the small qtc square that came with my logan with a piece I picked up in the marketplace. Now my Logan ramps perfectly from low to high every time. The piece that came with the logan had a hole in it, looks like it was punched with a tiny hole punch. I am guessing the hole is to help keep the qtc centered between the two metal discs. The new piece has no hole, but I am giving it a try anyway, we'll see how it holds up...