Longest Throw 2 Cell AA Flashlight

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wolf Eyes Krait does 11200 lux on 2xaa the (xr-e) r2 version. Havent seen any higher on 2 aa.

walkngdude

Newly Enlightened
JacobJones;[URL="tel:3772929" said:
3772929[/URL]]With an optic an XR-E R2 will throw further than a XP-E R2 due to the narrower beam angle meaning more light lands on the lense. I really don't know what's best when it comes to reflectors

Hi, sorry for being such a newbie but I was just wondering. I just ordered a "EagleTac P20A2 MKII 300 Lumens Cree XP-G R5 LED Flashlight" from amazon and I have no idea what bin #s or r2, r3 & r5 mean. Was this a bad move? I still have time to cancel and buy somewhere else.

Thanks
Marc

Gunner12

Flashaholic
... I have no idea what bin #s or r2, r3 & r5 mean. ...

Bin number is a brightness rating for the LED and each company has their own method. Cree uses a mixture of letter an number. The letter (P,Q,R,S...) tell you generally where the LED is in terms of brightness, with A being the lowest, and the later letters of the alphabet being higher. Then the numbers tell you where in that output (P, Q, R, etc.) that LED falls, with higher numbers being brighter, so a R2 will be a bit dimmer than a R4, but a greater percentage brighter than a Q2. Personally, I don't recall seeing any bins lower than a P2.

But brightness isn't everything. Neutral white and Warm white LEDs have a lower bin rating than cool white LEDs, but provide better color rendering than cool white LEDs. Instead of looking a bit blueish, neutral white LEDs are creamy white, while warm white LEDs are a bit yellow (IMO). So a Q2 bin warm white LED is dimmer than a R4 bin cool white LED, but the Q2 warm white will give you better colors than the cool white LED, at least in my limited experience (I only have one neutral white LED light and no warm white ones, but I have seen plenty of pictures). Usually flashlights using warm or neutral LEDs will tell you in the title, description, or both.

Brightness and color rendering aside, for throw, the size of the emitter is also important. Say you have a foot wide reflector. Assuming the same output, a light source the size of a pin head will project further with that reflector than a light source the size of your palm. This has to do with how much light is emitted per surface area. The light source with more light output per unit area will project than a light source with less light output per unit area with the same reflector.

I won't believe the 300 Lumen claim for the P20A2 R5 (at least not in terms of out the front lumens), but from what I've read, it is a good light.

I think most, if not all of the lights discussed in this thread have been reviewed here. That site also has lux ratings (Higher lux = more throw). From there, it seems like the P100A2 XP-E edition has the most throw.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bin number is a brightness rating for the LED and each company has their own method. Cree uses a mixture of letter an number. The letter (P,Q,R,S...) tell you generally where the LED is in terms of brightness, with P being the lowest, and the later letters of the alphabet being higher.

Sorry to be so pedantic but I believe the lowest letter Cree uses in that scale is A not P. :nana:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Sorry to be so pedantic but I believe the lowest letter Cree uses in that scale is A not P. :nana:

Yeah, I know, but that seems like more of a heat emitting diode than a normal LED. I don't think I've seen any White high power Cree LEDs lower than Q2, but then I haven't looked.

kts

Enlightened
The Fenix E21 throws almost as far as my TK20, I will always choose the Fenix TK20 for outdoors activity, it has the perfect tint and throw.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the TK20 is still up there with the best of them for throw and actual use outdoors.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
Try to find an Eagletac P20A2 with an XR-E pill. I've also heard good things about the Dereelight Javelin.
The Eagletac P20A2 XP-G S2 has great throw for 2 AA flashlight, it also has 340 Lumens, just make sure you get the Smooth (SM) reflector.

Last edited:

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed something.
I had the P20A2 Mark1 compared side by side to my P100A2 XP-E R2.
My P100A2 XP-E R2 clearly out throws my XR-E R2 that's in the P20A2 Mark1(XR-E R2)

I noticed the reflector of the P20A2 leaves space around the bottom the lense for the XR-E types but the XP-E has almost no space around the emitter and is surrounded by the reflector way more then the XR-E is in the P20A2.
Not including the aspherics. I still believe the P100A2 is a much better choice as done in side by side comparisons.

If anyone has the P100A2 XP-E R2 and the P20A2 XR-E R2 currently, compare them side by side.

Sounds odd?
I have 2 of the Energizer Lithium 2AA they have a very shallow reflector.
One has a XP-E and the other an XR-E. There are 2 different emitters in each light, I/m guessing energizer started using the XP-E in the late models as the XP-E is in the recent one.
The XR-E out throws the XP-E, but not in the case of the Eagletacs.

Sounds odd again?
I had the Dereelight Javelin compared side by side as well. XP-E R3 in both the OP/and SMO reflector. The OP reflector could throw farther. Someone else did a test on here showing that the lux numbers were higher on the Javelins published specs then they actually were.

Link on testing for the Javelin.

Fenix TK20: 6,180Lux
Eagletac XP-E Q5(First Mode?l): 6,860Lux don't know what the Lux numbers are in the neutral versions are. Don't nkow what My XP-E R2 in my P100A2 lux is either. It beat my P20A2 XR-E R2 in throw. If it didn't I would not have sold it.

I am always on the look out for a better 2AA thrower not using aspherics.

Last edited:

kartracer77

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered an EagleTac P100A2 XP-E R2 , Thanks animalmother. I also like throw AAx2 lights. I already have the Javelin XP-E R3. I will let you know how the 2 compare when I get the P100A2 in.

john doe

Newly Enlightened
P100A2 can out throw the Javalin and is nearly the same when the Javelin has the 3AA extension. Also the P100A2 is superior in all aspects. I owned both and compared them side by side. The P100A2 is the absolute best 2AA thrower I tried and have yet to find another light to match it. I owned a ton like the Quark Turbo 2AA, P20A2 XP-E, Javelin 2/3AA, etc. The P100A2 will make you happy for a 2AA thrower. A 2AA can only throw so far though.

i sure am glad i bought a p100a2 .its a great thrower for sure for a 2 aa light .mine has the cool white led (cree xp-e r2).i done my research here on the forum then jumped in and bought one .sooo glad i did .and when i read posts like this one i quoted i feel even better about my choice .mine has the smooth reflector as well .

now if one wanted a even brighter thrower do we need to move up to 123`s?is this p100a2 the best it gets for 2 aa`s?
i ask because i am wanting more .you know the ol more power bug .
whats the next step up?
kinda like to stay with the eagletac line and cool white led`s and smooth reflectors .

what do the flashlight gods recommend?

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like it's time... your time has come.

The Fenix TK41 awaits you.

Last edited:

john doe

Newly Enlightened
started looking at that one .it is very nice .i like the smooth reflector and it takes aa`s which i have plenty of .thanks for the info.

i wonder if eagletac makes a comparable model??

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
What's the difference between the XP-E and XR-E? Which one is smaller? Is only the XP-E now capable of R4 bins?

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
i sure am glad i bought a p100a2 .its a great thrower for sure for a 2 aa light .mine has the cool white led (cree xp-e r2).i done my research here on the forum then jumped in and bought one .sooo glad i did .and when i read posts like this one i quoted i feel even better about my choice .mine has the smooth reflector as well .

now if one wanted a even brighter thrower do we need to move up to 123`s?is this p100a2 the best it gets for 2 aa`s?
i ask because i am wanting more .you know the ol more power bug .
whats the next step up?
kinda like to stay with the eagletac line and cool white led`s and smooth reflectors .

what do the flashlight gods recommend?

Hi John, I to am a Eagletac fan I have the t100C2, t20C2 M3C4 single XML, and the D25LC2 Mini. If you want a light that takes 123's, I would recommend you get any of these with the exception of the mini as it is really not a thrower but for a small light is very very bright. Or you can do what I'm doing and try to wait patiently for eagletac to release the new MX25LC2.