Looking for a no-headaches 18650 cell recommendation

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my Keeppower 3500mAh batteries before I got the MD2 that they were destined for so I pulled out my old MG L-mini and discovered that the batteries wouldn't fit.

Are 18650's wider and longer than they were 8 years ago?
If I want to start using an 8 year old 18650 light, do I need to get a modern 17650 battery to use in it?

--flatline

Protected cells add width and length to the base cells. You have the protection circuit that has thickness and you have a button top usually, which also adds to the length.

Couple those with a second wrapper (usually) and the metal strip, albeit a thin one and you've got a few hairs' worth of diameter, which may be problematic for older lights.

Chris

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected cells add width and length to the base cells. You have the protection circuit that has thickness and you have a button top usually, which also adds to the length.

Couple those with a second wrapper (usually) and the metal strip, albeit a thin one and you've got a few hairs' worth of diameter, which may be problematic for older lights.

Chris

Hmm...that's annoying, but not really too concerning. This particular flashlight is a L-mini body with a PLI driver and quad emitter. Kind of fun to play with, but not a user. It can go back in the box. If I ever really want to use it, I can throw in some primaries and call it good.

Thanks for the info!

--flatline

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for your responses!.............I'm going to go ahead and order a pair of KeepPower 3500mAh protected cells...........
Dang, I just barely read this post and knew that you might come across an issue with them being too wide. And then read further down and you discovered it.

I got my Keeppower 3500mAh batteries before I got the MD2 that they were destined for so I pulled out my old MG L-mini and discovered that the batteries wouldn't fit.

Are 18650's wider and longer than they were 8 years ago?
If I want to start using an 8 year old 18650 light, do I need to get a modern 17650 battery to use in it?

--flatline
Take a look at this thread on NCR18650GA protected batteries (3500mAh) being a little wider than NCR18650B (3400mAh).
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...0mAh-18650-batteries-too-wide-now-retrofitted

I like the Panasonic NCR18650GA and I just get the red unprotected ones.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Keeppower 3500 fit the MD2 just fine and since that's the light they were purchased for, I'm fine with them. However, since run time isn't a priority for me, if I end up purchasing more 18650 cells, I will attempt to get slimmer cells so that any lights I purchase in the future are more likely to fit them.

--flatline

markr6

Flashaholic
My Zebralights are the only picky ones when it comes to diameter. For everything else I welcome a wrapper to eat up some space and reduce rattling. All my other lights, including the MD2, are generously sized to fit whatever I throw at them.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
My Zebralights are the only picky ones when it comes to diameter. For everything else I welcome a wrapper to eat up some space and reduce rattling. All my other lights, including the MD2, are generously sized to fit whatever I throw at them.

I think some of the early MD2 had issues with diameter of some 18650 maybe the 3500 mAh if my memory is correct. Not sure though. In any case that was some time ago and not relevant to what the OP got. Mine like yours takes anything.

Latest posts