Looking for an Inexpensive Flashlight to be my Headlight

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
I've been riding my bike to work for about a month now and I've used cable ties to strap a $2 plastic flashlight to the front of my bike as a headlight. I also use a small, omnidirectional led light.

I start my commute at about 4:30 in the morning and it takes me just under an hour. I travel about 3/4 the way on a wooded bike trail so I need a headlight to let me see, and I need a headlight to be seen.

The flashlight gets too dim too fast and the led shines in my eyes.

I really like just strapping a flashlight to the handlebars because it gives me the flexibility to use it as a flashlight. I'd rather not put a light on my head.

I'm looking in the $10-$30 range.

I had a one CR123 flashlight that is very bright, but it only lasts about 20 minutes. Ideally I'd like to use 2 AA batteries, rechargable and only have to charge them on the weekend.

I'm very sorry if I'm asking a question that's been asked before and I missed the answer. I have looked around a bit, but hadn't seen just the same situation or requirements before.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need five hours of runtime and you only want to charge them once a week?
That is a tall order, unless you operate at a very low level.

If you modulate between low & high mode, [low on the wooded trail, high on the street] you should be able to make five hours of runtime.
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-213/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-II-CREE/Detail

There may be something better in the bargain basement of DX, but I don't shop there.

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's neat, I could use the CR123 I already have or 2 AA.

What if I could use it for a couple of hours before charging (that way if I miss a day I could still use it without worrying about it going out in the middle of the woods)?

I suppose that would be easier to do.

Thank you very much.

joe1512

Enlightened
For such a low budget, I would go with this one:

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-212/Romisen-RC-dsh-N3-CREE-R4/Detail

It uses about the latest emitter out there, which is good for maximum efficiency. I dont think it has modes though, but hitting the budget was tough enough as is. 2xAA, 25 bucks.

I'd recommend you strap one of these on and see how it goes.

Another option is to get two of these at 15 bucks each including shipping:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18626
Its a 2xAA light with multiple levels of output. Not as efficient as recent emitters but not bad.
It also gives you 4xAA's worth of runtime.

Hey, here is another option: a 3xAAA light. Assuming your charger can do AAAs which most can:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26798

It is flood to throw so you can pick your beam shape. 3xAAA > 1xAA runtime wise. Buy 2 of these at 10 bucks each and you are good to go. They are a lot shorter than the 2xAAA offerings so should be easier to mount.

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
I too am having this dilemma, but my budget is about 10 bucks better. I would search for a Fenix E20 on "The Bay." You can get one for about 30 bucks, they're 2xAA, have an adjustable focus (flood to spot), have one output mode, and run for roughly 3 hours.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/205501

Should be good.

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
I think the problem with the CR123 light I have now is that it overheats after 20min. Is that a problem with any of these?

I like the AA lights better. My charger says it does AAA but when I've tried they don't charge. I don't know what's wrong with it.

I'm guessing these are all waterproof?

For the $5 difference between the Romisen and the Fenix is it really worth it?

joe1512

Enlightened
This is why you want multiple modes. A tiny 2.3 inch long CR123 light will overheat.

However, a 2xAA light or 3xAAA one should be ok because they can produce less light in lower modes, and also because they have a lot more surface area to help them dissipate the heat, especially when you are riding.
This is why I recommend a light with several different modes, and recommend buying 2 dimer lights instead of 1 brighter one. You get more runtime and no heat worries.

That fenix looks pretty good. That is a tough call between 1 of those and 2 of the 10 dollar cheapos. It depends if you plan to 'permanently' mount the lights, or if you are going to take them off your bike everyday. In that case the annoyance factor of dealing with 2 lights would be too much.

Oh hey, this is kind of cool. Another flood 2 throw light that comes with a nice mount. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26800
Something to consider.

Last edited:

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
inner prop, are you a member of cpfmarketplace? I just got hooked up (won't disclose details), spent about $35, and got the answer to all my problems.

If you are looking for a light with more than one mode, then don't go with the Fenix. Though, the fenix e20 will have better build quality, it's tough as nails, it's waterproof, and has a reputation for reliability over the romisen.

I had a Romisen rc-n3 II q5 that I ended up giving away, didn't like the runtime and it got kinda warm. Also, with 2 aa's you will have to place o-rings on the battery nearest the head to prevent rattling.

Last edited:

Makedonas

Newly Enlightened
I'm on the quest for a strong headlight for my bike as well.

I started this thread and got some interesting replies.

I'm going to go for a 1x18650 setup, so that I can have one battery in the flashlight and one in the saddlebag for backup.

Also 5 mode is important... strobe mode can come in handy while on a bike and low is a good way ton increase runtime.

What mount are you using?

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Is a 18650 the same as a AA? They look alike. I like AA because they are everywhere.

Right now I'm strapping my flashlight to the handlebars with cable ties. I'm probably going to change to some sort of pipe clamp so I don't need to get a flashlight to fit my mount.

Are you in Greece? My in-laws just left for Greece the other day. They are visiting relatives for a month.

I dont' really like the stubby flashlights that bundle the batteries, though those would probably mount easier.

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me you would also like the Fenix L2D.

And yes, I believe an 18650 is a rechargeable lithium AA. But they are frequently rated at 3.7 volts, so you have to buy a special charger and be mindful of your light's voltage tolerance.

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
Okay, since lots of us got it as a gateway light, I suggest running with the Romisen. Shiningbeam will typically get it to you within a week.

Good luck :D

pe2er

Enlightened
Is a 18650 the same as a AA?
And yes, I believe an 18650 is a rechargeable lithium AA. But they are frequently rated at 3.7 volts, so you have to buy a special charger and be mindful of your light's voltage tolerance.
18650 is bigger and has a higher voltage than AA cells.

The Li-Ion equivalent (in size) of an AA battery is the 14500. The 14500 also has 3.7 Volts versus the 1.5V of an AA cell.

Makedonas

Newly Enlightened
Is a 18650 the same as a AA? They look alike. I like AA because they are everywhere.

Right now I'm strapping my flashlight to the handlebars with cable ties. I'm probably going to change to some sort of pipe clamp so I don't need to get a flashlight to fit my mount.

Are you in Greece? My in-laws just left for Greece the other day. They are visiting relatives for a month.

I dont' really like the stubby flashlights that bundle the batteries, though those would probably mount easier.

Like pe2er already stated 18650 is larger than AA.. but they pack alot more energy. I just ordered this fenix mount yesterday... a bit pricey at 18$ shipped but i liked the design and i think its the best out there.

I don't like the stubby flashlights either, I've basically decided on the Ultrafire 502 and work two batteries through rotation (one in the light and one as backup).

Yep I'm in Greece, I lived roughly half my life in the US and the other half in Greece (i'm 31 now). Your in-laws visiting family out here? So your wife is Greek? Did you have a big phat greek wedding :p Do you know what part of Greece they are visiting?

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Yep I'm in Greece, I lived roughly half my life in the US and the other half in Greece (i'm 31 now). Your in-laws visiting family out here? So your wife is Greek? Did you have a big phat greek wedding :p Do you know what part of Greece they are visiting?
Did you start out in the US for the first half or did you break it up? They're going to Athens and Crete, though my father in law is from the northern part of the country.

I've never been there myself, which is a sore spot for me. Also, I'm having the durnest time learning the language, though we've been married 20 years.

I'm Catholic so I didn't have to convert or anything, otherwise it was pretty much the same as the movie.

Wow that's a nice mount. It's a lot better than my zip ties. Maybe I should ask Santa to get me that for Christmas.

I am really thinking about getting two lights, so I'll have the LED for right on my front tire, one for mid-range and one to look far forward.

I rode to work this morning and I could see out pretty well with my little cheapo light, but from 2' to about 10' I couldn't see a thing (especially with oncoming traffic).

Makedonas

Newly Enlightened
Did you start out in the US for the first half or did you break it up? They're going to Athens and Crete, though my father in law is from the northern part of the country.

I've never been there myself, which is a sore spot for me. Also, I'm having the durnest time learning the language, though we've been married 20 years.

I'm Catholic so I didn't have to convert or anything, otherwise it was pretty much the same as the movie.

Wow that's a nice mount. It's a lot better than my zip ties. Maybe I should ask Santa to get me that for Christmas.

I am really thinking about getting two lights, so I'll have the LED for right on my front tire, one for mid-range and one to look far forward.

I rode to work this morning and I could see out pretty well with my little cheapo light, but from 2' to about 10' I couldn't see a thing (especially with oncoming traffic).

I'm from the northern part (Macedonia) as well... I spent my first half in the US (Chicago born, SF Bay area raised) and moved here at 17. All my family is here, so I don't really think of moving back... but I do get nostalgic sometimes... I really need to take a trip back... You should take advantage of your situation, Greece is a very hospitable place (and has some of the best beaches in the world) :twothumbs

I don't commute with my bike (the weather is still too hot here for that)... but I like to take afternoon rides that end up catching me outside after dark.

My primary concern is a strong light for cars to see me. But your application does need two lights. You plan to mount one near your tire? (on the suspension?) That seems like a good idea to get the road in front of you lit up well, and then one on the handlbars for more long range light.

What are you using as a taillight?

Theo

Inner Prop

Newly Enlightened
Small world, I'm from Chicago, moved out to the suburbs when I got married. I grew up on the Northwest side. What part of town are you from? My wife grew up in Oak Lawn.

I have a couple of little cheapy LED lights on the tail.

Hmm, I guess I could use the holes for mounting disc brakes on my fork to mount a flashlight. The zipties should work well for that.

QUESTION: Are more lights better? I mean if you can put out the same amount of light with one as with two is there an advantage to two, or three, or four? Let's say you have lights in all directions, would it be better to have one light facing forward or two (assuming they're both aimed together)?

Last edited:

ryanandty

Newly Enlightened
18650 is bigger and has a higher voltage than AA cells.

The Li-Ion equivalent (in size) of an AA battery is the 14500. The 14500 also has 3.7 Volts versus the 1.5V of an AA cell.

Oops, my bad :stupid:

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
iTP SA2 mounted with a Twofish lockblock .
I have been using this setup with lithium primaries and on medium it is plenty bright and I'm getting at least 10 hours of runtime .
It has taken a lot of vibration well , too .