Looking for outdoor floodlight recommendations.

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Thank you so much for your help!! The issue we faced with the Lithonia MH type fittings, such as https://www.lowes.com/pd/Lithonia-Lighting-Lumen-Gray-Metal-Halide-Area-Light/1000703090 is that the shade (the opaque plastic part and metal rim on top) tends to come off.

If my family member wanted to swap out to a similar fixture type but one which would accept LED bulbs e.g. PAR 38 or medium base which I can change when fused, do you have any recommendations?

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it.

I've never come across a standard security light style fixture that accepts regular bulbs. The best option is to just convert an existing one by bypassing the ballast and if necessary replace the socket.

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just throwing out an alternative idea...feel free to shoot it down. Might suit the OP, if not maybe someone else's requirement.

Would distributed 12-24vdc "auxiliary" i.e. off-road vehicle lighting be an option? They typically run on 10v-30vdc which of course needs to be sourced/distributed, but regulation is loose. They are essentially constant-power loads, as they should be; so higher voltage, lower-current may have some minor advantage.

They are mostly directional. Small lights are typically up to 1000 lumens or so (claimed), typically 5000K. The ones I have use lots of heatsinking and look to be ruggedly constructed, meant for trucks, farm equipment etc. Larger light bar claims >3000 lumens, 32W typical measured so not bad efficacy; payed about $50 on sale.

I cannot vouch for long-term reliability of these things, in spite of any claims. Just an idea.

Dave

Last edited:

callehayes

Newly Enlightened
Thank you this is an interesting idea

Just throwing out an alternative idea...feel free to shoot it down. Might suit the OP, if not maybe someone else's requirement.

Would distributed 12-24vdc "auxiliary" i.e. off-road vehicle lighting be an option? They typically run on 10v-30vdc which of course needs to be sourced/distributed, but regulation is loose. They are essentially constant-power loads, as they should be; so higher voltage, lower-current may have some minor advantage.

They are mostly directional. Small lights are typically up to 1000 lumens or so (claimed), typically 5000K. The ones I have use lots of heatsinking and look to be ruggedly constructed, meant for trucks, farm equipment etc. Larger light bar claims >3000 lumens, 32W typical measured so not bad efficacy; payed about $50 on sale.

I cannot vouch for long-term reliability of these things, in spite of any claims. Just an idea.

Dave

Adam_Clap

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would never spend $100 for a flood light... sure enough the $50 POS I bought 2 years ago was rusting already...

By recommendations on here with the RAB I can honestly say it's nicely built. It works and that's that.

That's the one I bought. I can rest assured now that if it does break after ten years it will have only cost me 10 a year to own... which is cheap. It's solid as far as the construction is built.
Comes with lens covers if you don't want complete scan coverage. At night and during the day you can see red LEDs scanning like night rider. This lights up the entire one side of my yard and my neighbors.

I can say that I should have gone with this brand first, but I didn't even know about them. When I put a another light on the other side of the house I will be buying the exact same light.

Has manual mode, sensitivity, hour, dawn dusk..etc. It's a really nice fixture!

TechGuru

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would never spend $100 for a flood light... sure enough the $50 POS I bought 2 years ago was rusting already...

By recommendations on here with the RAB I can honestly say it's nicely built. It works and that's that.

That's the one I bought. I can rest assured now that if it does break after ten years it will have only cost me 10 a year to own... which is cheap. It's solid as far as the construction is built.
Comes with lens covers if you don't want complete scan coverage. At night and during the day you can see red LEDs scanning like night rider. This lights up the entire one side of my yard and my neighbors.

I can say that I should have gone with this brand first, but I didn't even know about them. When I put a another light on the other side of the house I will be buying the exact same light.

Has manual mode, sensitivity, hour, dawn dusk..etc. It's a really nice fixture!

I'm liking #1 and #3 other than their color temp being too high. I can imagine putting 4 of the number ones around the outside of the house and tying them to a strobe circuit that is tied into a alarm system. Send night burglars tripping over there own feet with disorientation trying to get away. lol