Looking for the best dog walking light

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
500+ lumens, 1 hour runtime, short, and light weight? a P60 host with SST or linger special drop-in would do fine. my oveready C2 with nailbender SST-50 or SST-90 with AW2900 battery fits that.

the SST-90 drop-in is a super flood light. incredibly smooth beam, and plenty bright. The SST-50 drop-in is also plently bright, maybe better runtime, throws surprisingly well, and still has a bright spill, with a smooth beam. My NB SST-90 3000k is warm tint, and my SST-50 4500k is neutral tint. but the beam of the nailbender SST-50 is really great all-around. I personally prefer warm tint more. Also, nailbender makes a 2x XP-G drop-in called "linger special" which really floods, putting out at least 500 lumens! for only $45. and you have your options for tint!

my suggestion, get yourself a oveready host, (I know, its costly, But I dont regret mine one bit, and actually thinking of buying another). but if your on a budget, which we can all understand, a solarforce L2P for about $20 will be fine, and it will readily accept 18650 li-ion. (which is the best rechargeable option if you want bright, runtime, and size).

I like surefire and solarforce hosts because there are many available parts and options for them. I sold my friend a olight M20 almost a year ago, his switch is acting funny now, and olight has not responsded to my email yet. if this was a solarforce or surefire, I could have easily replaced the switch by now. and since I sold him the olight m20. I feel partly responsible about his light malfuctioning. But I cant really help him, besides suggesting another light.

oh! another thing, 500 lumens for walking your dog? your gonna be blinding your dog, and lighting up half the block. just saying:whistle: I live in a major city and 500 lumens will draw alot of attention.
good luck!

Last edited:

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
oh! another thing, 500 lumens for walking your dog? your gonna be blinding your dog, and lighting up half the block. just saying:whistle: I live in a major city and 500 lumens will draw alot of attention.
good luck!

I was curious about that too...?

But it would make sense if you lived in a more rural area. If I went strolling at night with 500lumens bouncing off the pavement I can be assured I would get some odd looks.

gerlin

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking that the option of having 500 lumens would be a good idea, especially if I used a diffuser. I assume that greatly reduces the perceived output of the light (though I may be wrong).

My thought was that I would likely use the medium (or even low) output of the light most of the time, though I would like to have more power available if I feel the need for any reason.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the McLeash accessory for McGizmo's lights. It is a leash adapter with a 1/4" thread (just like a camera tripod mount). The light itself becomes a "T-Grip" for the leash! Brilliant!!!

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking that the option of having 500 lumens would be a good idea, especially if I used a diffuser. I assume that greatly reduces the perceived output of the light (though I may be wrong).

My thought was that I would likely use the medium (or even low) output of the light most of the time, though I would like to have more power available if I feel the need for any reason.

very reasonable thinking in my opinion :thumbsup:

so you need a very bright light, with modes,

only about 20 EXCELLENT lights to choose from, good luck :party: