Lumapower M3 Transformer

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pumaman said:
Just want to thank you for all your great reviews and pics. I have started to depend on your posts for the first look on many lights.

what is your opinion on the focus feature?

I like it but the size is an issue.

The more you turn out the bezel the looser it gets. To really notice a difference in the corona the bezel has to be turned out about 1 1/2 turns. The bezel is really loose and looses it waterproofness.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada said:
Size comparasion.

Left, M3. Right, LM303

m3transformer003smallaj8.jpg

Top. LM303. Bottom, M3

m3transformer004smallhh2.jpg

The M3 is longer because of the reflector and Cree module.

m3transformer005smallzt9.jpg

The reflector is housed in the "smooth section". The Cree module is the "knurled section"

m3transformer007smallch8.jpg

The reflector and the Cree module is located in this section.

m3transformer006smallaa9.jpg

It's also longer for the focusing feature. Thanks for reminding me Pumaman.

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow! Interesting.

So, 2 siwtch assemblies (nice!), but reletively useless focusing feature (ugh!), many battery options, but kinda big.

Thanks so much for the info Ernsanada!

T4R06

Enlightened
@ern
can you put beside L1D? and also if you have L2D as well
lets see the comparison on size AA and 2AA

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left to right, Lumapower M3, Fenix L2P, Fenix L2T

m3transformer001smallsc2.jpg

Left to right, Lumapower M3, Fenix L1D CE, Fenix L1P

m3transformer002small2mu5.jpg

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
T4R06 said:
@ern
can you put beside L1D? and also if you have L2D as well
lets see the comparison on size AA and 2AA

Sorry I don't have no L2D.

lumapower

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ernest,

Thank you very much for nice photos and review. Great job.:)

Best rgds.

Ricky - Lumapower Team

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm said:
Beautiful collection! Which is the furthest thrower, and which is next best?

Brightnorm

D-Mini throws the best.

M1 second best with Cree Module.

Both with shiny reflector.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
bhds said:
Nice picts ernsanada!
I'm a little confused as how the 2 position clicky and the low < - > hi positions on the body work.

thanks.

Click once for low. Click again for high. You can adjust the bezel to turn the light to medium or back to high. Turning the bezel gets the light into medium.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
to add that I had no problems even with reading on the low setting, no flicker that I could detect. Also tried the "move your arm with the light in it on low against the ceiling" test and still couldn't see any flicker.

the PMW doesn't seem to be an issue, and let's not forget it's pretty good to have for runtime purposes!

europium

Enlightened
Could you see if there is any significant difference in the output brightness on high when using a CR123 (or 2xAA) versus using just a single AA? :thinking:

The reason I ask is that in this post:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1894473

the manufacturer gives a table showing the current levels for different input voltages, and it appears that there would not be much difference between power consumed at 1.4v (approx. = 1.386w) and power consumed at 3v (= 1.47w). The big advantage, for me, of using the CR123 and 2xAA bodies would be not the size of the package, but the greater output at the higher voltages. If the power consumed remains roughly constant at 1.4w with all the different voltage inputs from 1.4v through 3.8v (see table at link above), then all that will really change is the runtime. This would seem, to me at least, to negate the advantage of the extra battery input options. :ohgeez: There would be no real need for a CR123 tube or a 2xAA tube since I could get the same result by carrying the light with just the 1xAA tube and an extra AA battery.

The beamshots of the M3 with 1xAA versus the M3 with 2xAA in this post...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1904550

although not side-by-side, still seem to indicate what I have speculated: that there is no real increase in brightness with the extra voltage.

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
europium said:
...it appears that there would not be much difference between power consumed at 1.4v (approx. = 1.386w) and power consumed at 3v (= 1.47w).

There would be no real need for a CR123 tube or a 2xAA tube since I could get the same result by carrying the light with just the 1xAA tube and an extra AA battery.
That was my take on the specs, but I don't (yet) actually have the light. I believe this light was not designed with absolute maximum output in mind. Compared to many other AA capable Cree lights on the market, the M3 seems unique with its relatively low minimum setting. Perhaps a side effect of that driver circuit is that it can not drive the Cree as hard when it is "wide open".

As you noted, if runtime is a concern you could just carry a spare AA cell, and run on the 1xAA battery tube. But, where are you going to store the spare cell? It's easier to keep it in the light itself. Some people may also find it easier to handle a six inch long light. The 2xAA body option would be desirable to those people. For those who prefer a shorter body, the 1xCR123A body saves you two-thirds of an inch over the 1xAA body.

Yes, it does appear the M3 sacrifices maximum output. But, it does offer a tactical tailswitch and an OP reflector. I guess you can't get it all in one light. :)

randyo

Enlightened
Mine arrived Thursday and I'm having some fun playing with it. A couple of things to note:

1. Low setting is very low. Those of you who hate bright low settings will love this one. BUT - only with "regular" AA batteries. With a Li-ion battery, the low level is much higher.

2. It comes with no instructions. Those of you who are mechanically challenged or tend to botch things up until you get the hang of something should know that the built-in battery contact (black plastic disc with the battery contact in the middle) must be removed if you are running a 3.7V Li-Ion battery. It screws out.

3. It is very well built and the anodizing looks excellent on mine as well.

4. It is longer and "heftier" than most other AA or 2AA lights. However, this is not a bad thing. It was obviously not designed to be a keychain light. It's definitely a pouch light, tool or glove-box light, or maybe a coat pocket light. It fits very nicely in my hand and has just the right amount of "heft".

5. The supplied belt pouch has a secondary smaller pocket that is sized perfectly for carrying an extra battery.

6. The 2-stage clickie is nice! But - the momentary switch is very difficult to engage. You'd better have a strong thumb.