Lumapower M3 Transformer

liquidinfo

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, I was under the impression that the turbohead on the M3 would give D-mini comparable performance. If the D-mini is that much better in the throw department with the same head, do you think it's because they might have different LED bins? All I can gather for both lights is that they're XR-E's, unless you get the D-Mini SE with the Q5. Or maybe it's the digital light engine on the D-mini?

The new D-mini is super tempting with the latest bin (Q5) and great UI. I'm looking for an EDC though, so the design of the head is a turnoff. If they could just throw one of the newer bins into the M3, maybe make it a digital with a memory mode, I'd be all over it. But for now I'll just stick to my new M1 Q5 in Pure Black.

In the meanwhile, I'm CLOSELY eyeing the new Nitecore . . .

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D-mini is driven harder. More current to the LED(~550ma). Here are the lux numbers taken from Lumapower at 1m using smooth reflectors: M3 with Turbo force head-5100 lux, D-mini-7700 lux.

Last edited:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my measurements:

D-Mini_vs_M3_Turbo.gif

These runs were all made using an AW RCR-123 cell.

I don't know the bins of the LEDs originally in the lights, but both were pretty early versions so likely had P4. I put the Q5s in. The M3-Q5 puts out about 75% of the total light (lumens) that the D-Mini-Q5 does.

So far I haven't seen anything using a single CR-123A size cell that touches the D-Mini for throw.

c_c

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is really very simple: the head has two positions, high when tight and low when loose by a quarter of a turn. Levels are pre-set in the factory. Then you have the switch in the tailcap with two types supplied, a reverse clickie for on-off or a "tactical switch"; the latter is a push button that gives you a momentary on, if you want a constant on you just tighten the tailcap.

If I wasn't clear enough please ask.:)

gravityz

Enlightened
It is really very simple: the head has two positions, high when tight and low when loose by a quarter of a turn. Then you have the switch in the tailcap with two types supplied, a reverse clickie for on-off or a "tactical switch"; the latter is a push button that gives you a momentary on, if you want a constant on you just tighten the tailcap.

If I wasn't clear enough please ask.:)

ok that part is clear but can you set those levels to a user adjustable level

eg
turn tight HIGH
turn a quarter USER DEFINABLE preset like the nitecore
i thought this was one of the advantages of the lumaspower lights

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
can anybody explain how this light works

i thought it had like one or 2 setting which can be preset at any level

somehow nobody explains this(not on lumapower.com either)

is it like the nitecore defender?
It has three factory set levels which you can't change. The plots I posted were for the highest level. Calling the levels 1 (lowest), 2, and 3 (highest), the switch gives you 1 - 2 - off. Twist the body a bit and it replaces the level 2 with level 3 so you get 1 - 3 - off with the switch. You can switch between 2 and 3 by twisting the body either when it's on or off.

c_c

gravityz

Enlightened
It has three factory set levels which you can't change. The plots I posted were for the highest level. Calling the levels 1 (lowest), 2, and 3 (highest), the switch gives you 1 - 2 - off. Twist the body a bit and it replaces the level 2 with level 3 so you get 1 - 3 - off with the switch. You can switch between 2 and 3 by twisting the body either when it's on or off.

c_c

ok

so it is low,middle, off
when you tighten the head it is Low, High, off

does it have memory or does it always start at low

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really hope they release an updated driver for the M3. Its a great light, toss in a newer bin cree, a forward clickie, and maybe their Epsilon circutiry and it should be way nice.

pipspeak

Enlightened
I don't know the bins of the LEDs originally in the lights, but both were pretty early versions so likely had P4. I put the Q5s in. The M3-Q5 puts out about 75% of the total light (lumens) that the D-Mini-Q5 does.

Thanks for the figures. Can you recommend a source for a Q5 replacement emitter for the M3? I have an M3 on the way and would love to have an output boost to give the turbohead a bit more turbo. Is it a simple drop-in replacement easy enough for a modding noob to do?!

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the figures. Can you recommend a source for a Q5 replacement emitter for the M3? I have an M3 on the way and would love to have an output boost to give the turbohead a bit more turbo. Is it a simple drop-in replacement easy enough for a modding noob to do?!
I got some from a group buy which is now closed, and some from DX. Both DX and KaiDomain sell them. The mod requires quite a bit more than a drop-in replacement, and I wouldn't recommend it for a "modding noob". You have to remove the mini-star and either unsolder the existing emitter and solder on a new one, or get an emitter already mounted on a star and cut down the star to the right size. When I tried cutting down a star with a Dremel cut-off wheel, it very quickly got so hot the emitter solder melted and the emitter fell off. So I had to solder one on anyway.

c_c