Lumapower M3 Transformer

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
europium said:
Could you see if there is any significant difference in the output brightness on high when using a CR123 (or 2xAA) versus using just a single AA? :thinking:
I've had my M3 for just two days and I've played with the different bodies for some time yesterday night. It is very difficult to notice the difference (if any) in total output between the various setups.
As a matter of fact looking at the current draws it is true that there might be no practical variation. Of course runtimes are another story.

gunga

Flashaholic
Oh, so this is not like the Fenix at all. Or actually, its is like the Fenix on normal mode. Turbo mode just seems to let it all hang loose, while normal mode is similar brightness for all power sources (up to 3 V) with differing run times.

Anyone know runtimes on High/med/low? How about 1 AA vs CR123?

Well, guess that info will come out in the next week or so...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunga,

here you find the first available data. I have no doubt too that much much more will come very very shortly
naughty.gif

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156860

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
last night I got to use a bit more the 1xCR123A tube (with SF primaries), including outside - so far I got to use the M3 mainly on NiMH's AA's inside.

I was kind of surprised at how much light I got on hi, I also thought that huge output is not what Lumapower had in mind when designing this light.

(I thought mainly versatility, being able to eat up almost all kinds of batteries with 3 useful output modes)

but actually on 1xCR123A I was getting a pretty powerful light beam, lighting the tops of trees 30-40 feet away no problem. (now I'm annoyed I didn't do a straight away comparison with the M1!)

I am looking forward to compiling the runtime/output info on M3 (and on the LxD CE's) into my main database/spreadsheet, but with so many modes/tubes I'll need several lines just for one of these!

maybe I need one sheet for just EACH of these lights!

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
These beamshots done with the 1AA configuration.

Lumapower Transformer @ 77" (Nimh Rechargeable Battery)

dsc04674smalluz8.jpg

Lumapower Transformer @ 77" (Protected 14500)

dsc04676smallqd9.jpg

Lumapower Transformer @ 77" (Nimh Rechargeable Battery) Stepped down exposure.

dsc04675smallcb2.jpg

Lumapower Transformer @ 77" (Protected 14500) Stepped down exposure.

dsc04677smallgw7.jpg

L

LITEmania

ersnada :

can you make just a side by side beamshot of

D-mini Smooth reflector (w/ 3.7V R123) vs. M3 (w/ 14500)

TIA

warren,

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left, D-Mini (Smooth Reflector, Protected RCR123). Right, Lumapower M3 Transformer (Protected 14500) @ 86"

dsc04678smalliu3.jpg

Left, D-Mini (Smooth Reflector, Protected RCR123). Right, Lumapower M3 Transformer (Protected 14500) @ 86" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04679smallbj4.jpg

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the UI and jam-packed features of the M3, but it's much larger than I prefer for a 1x123A or 1xAA light. I actually pocket my single cell lights. Still a nice light, but probably just not for me.

I'd love to see chevro or someone else do an output test on it to compare to other lights such as the L1D-CE and Jet1 MKIIx.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
M3 using one freshly charged Nimh Energizer AA Rechargeable 2300mAh battery

M3 Turbo Head (SMO) @ 77"

dsc04776smallfp6.jpg

M3 Turbo Head (OP) @ 77"

dsc04789smalljz5.jpg

M3 Stock Head (OP) @ 77"

dsc04778smallbo1.jpg

M3 Turbo Head (SMO) @ 77" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04777smallzl4.jpg

M3 Turbo Head (OP) @ 77" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04790smallzn6.jpg

M3 Stock Head (OP) @ 77" Stepped down exposure.

dsc04779smalljj0.jpg

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
M3 Turbo Head CR123

m3001smallyr1.jpg

M3 Turbo Head 1AA

m3003smallgk4.jpg

M3 Turbo Head 2AA

m3smallgy9.jpg

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada: Thanks for the great review and the great pics. Thanks for showing the turbo head and all the beamshots. I have always been a huge fan of all lights that run on Lithium AA's. Now with the turbo head it looks like I can have the beam of the D-mini with longer than 30 min of runtime. Thanks. Batteryjunction will have my order tomorrow. The MRV will have to wait for a while:(

Has anyone done a runtime / output graph with 2 lithium AA's? I have not been able to find one, but would gladly pay for the batts if someone would be willing to do one.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are beam shots of the Lumapower D-Mini RCR123 SMO vs the Lumapower M3 RCR123 SMO.

Both lights are using the SMO Reflector. I had only one SMO Reflector so I had to exchange the Reflector during the beams shots and lux readings.

These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using AW's Protected RCR123's which were fully charged.

DBS028Small.jpg

Lumapower D-Mini RCR123 SMO - 6000 lux @ 1 meter

Lumapower M3 RCR123 SMO - 4500 lux @ 1 meter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Left, Lumapower D-Mini RCR123 SMO. Right, Lumapower M3 RCR123 SMO

M3002Small.jpg

Left, Lumapower D-Mini RCR123 SMO. Right, Lumapower M3 RCR123 SMO

M3001Small.jpg

Lumapower D-Mini RCR123 SMO

M3003Small.jpg

Lumapower M3 RCR123 SMO @ 85"

M3005Small.jpg

Lumapower D-Mini RCR123 SMO @ 85" Stepped down exposure.

M3004Small.jpg

Lumapower M3 RCR123 SMO @ 85" Stepped down exposure.

M3006Small.jpg

Last edited:

liquidinfo

Newly Enlightened
hey man,

thanks for these pics. looks like the m3 with the turbo head doesn't quite match the power of the dmini D, but then again, the versatility of the m3 pretty much makes up for it. I wonder if they'll make a Q5 drop-in for the M3 . . .

of course it'd be nice to upgrade the engine on the m3 to be more like that of the dmini D . . . epsilon anyone?

and type III HA in black would be nice . . . hmmmmm

LOL when I think of something else I'll come back . . . Ricky, are you reading???

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey man,

thanks for these pics. looks like the m3 with the turbo head doesn't quite match the power of the dmini D, but then again, the versatility of the m3 pretty much makes up for it. I wonder if they'll make a Q5 drop-in for the M3 . . .
Assuming you're looking for throw, there's quite a difference. Comparing my D-Mini with smooth reflector to an M3 with turbo head and smooth reflector, both with Li-Ion RCR123 cell, the D-Mini puts out a little greater than 50% more candlepower (lux at one meter) in its main beam. That means that the D-Mini will light things up at 122 feet as brightly as the M3 will at 100.

I haven't found anything as small as the D-Mini or any other light that uses a single CR-123A size cell that touches it. The M3 is a neat light for several reasons, but extraordinary throw isn't one of them.

c_c