Luxim Plasma Bulb Claims 140 Lumens/Watt

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal: +1

but I want the 5, 10 and 15 W version, too

PS: can anyone with more background than me explain if this is a hoax, or not?
How can this thing work "without electrical contacts"
:thinking:

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: New Plasma LED

PS: can anyone with more background than me explain if this is a hoax, or not?
How can this thing work "without electrical contacts"
:thinking:

If you placed one of those glass plasma capsules in a microwave oven and turned it on, it would light up. Same idea.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: Is there a 400w LED?

Oh good grief. :rolleyes:

I've heard that fact-checking is becoming a lost art in the race to be the first to get a scoop. Sometimes it results in embarrassing gaffes like this one.

diff_lock2

Newly Enlightened

Oh good grief. :rolleyes:

I've heard that fact-checking is becoming a lost art in the race to be the first to get a scoop. Sometimes it results in embarrassing gaffes like this one.

Thats pretty sad, how they write like they know what is going on.

I would guess they meant HID, if they even know what it is.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Thats pretty sad, how they write like they know what is going on.

I would guess they meant HID, if they even know what it is.

The video demo clearly mentioned a comparison to an HID streetlight; you can see that it's an arc lamp and not an LED. Even if they didn't know what HID is, they could've studied the video before writing about it.

Last edited:

Gryloc

Enlightened

Even though that story is just silly and confusing, I found out that there are super high power LEDs. I got a strange email today from this Jiangsu Bright Optoelectronic Technology Co. It sent me to this link:
http://www.eleclight.cn/index.htm

There, you will see a large selection of high power LED packages, including a 500W emitter! Just click on the 50-500W link. I think this is the same company that makes the 10W, 20W, and 50W LEDs you see on DX. They claim 40lm/W with the 500W emitter, and 45lm/W with the 200W emitter. Even though these things are not terribly efficient, the fact that they make these super high power emitters is nuts! I am kind of curious about the pricing of these things, and their availability. If you want to know more about them, and how they found me through my high power LED Yahoo group, just PM me. I think they thought that I produced products featuring high power LEDs, and that I would be interested in buying their stuff. It is hard to tell with the very broken English, though.

Sorry if this does not pertain to the above article and this thread, but I thought that it would be interesting to share...

-Tony

EDIT: Actually, check out the news page of the Luxim website:
http://www.lifi.com/dynamic/events.php

Look for the two stories mentioning the efficiency and the flux of this new light bulb. Though they do not indicate the bulb being the size of a tictac, they should be describing the same thing as funny the Gizmoto article above.

So, when will we see small scale mini-tictacs that can be used in converted maglites that outshines those 10W HID lights? When will CPF member Ra get a hold of one of these and puts it into his famous Maxablaster lantern? That would be nice. He will burn your retinas out from 8 miles away instead of 4...

Last edited:

Nos

Enlightened
Re: New Lightbulb!

ive seen a link to this bulb earlier this day.....

140 l/w ??? :duh2: ..... is there more information about this bulb?

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Lightbulb!

This is pretty cool, whos gonna do a mod first.

Illum

Flashaholic

Aren't LED's currently available that do better than 70 lumens/watt?

by CREE literature I thin we've hit something like 140 lumem/watt already...but we're still in the waiting period between the press-release and the actual selling of the product :ohgeez:

LedLad

Newly Enlightened
New type of light? Maybe someday?

Article I found on one of my daily viewing sites....

I know the current set of products aren't suitable for flashlights but maybe they'll be able to scale down the power requirement to something useable for handhelds. Pretty comparable efficiency with the best LEDs and according to the site very stable and good color temps. Possible home lighting use? No prices listed tho...prolly sky high, possibly something to watch for?

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Re: New type of light? Maybe someday?

The problem is that even despite the really high efficiency, it generates so much heat that it requires active cooling, which is impossible in a flashlight.

Fird

Enlightened

this is a little more like an HID than an LED, using RF excitation.. a cool idea but i wonder what radiation is emitted? I'd hate to microwave whatever the light is pointing at or sunburn it with UV..

Fird

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

this is a little more like an HID than an LED, using RF excitation.. a cool idea but i wonder what radiation is emitted? I'd hate to microwave whatever the light is pointing at or sunburn it with UV..

Fird
197080d1174032378-spectral-distributions-various-bulbs-sulfur_lamp_spectrum.gif

This is the spectrum of a sulfur electrodeless lamp. Essentially, it's a ~6000k continuous spectrum visible emission, with a greenish tint. By the way, ignore the colors on the graph above -- they show 650 nanometers as yellow, when in reality 650nm is pure red, and anything longer than that is effectively invisible. Likewise, 400nm is violet, and anything shorter is pretty much invisible.

Right now, it looks like 100 bulb lumens/watt electrical input is th best that has been done with the sulfur lamp. I'm not sure if the one described by the original poster is referring to 140 lumens per watt electricity, or per watt of microwave power -- big difference.

Either way though, The biggest disadvantage of these is that a tiny point-source producing hundreds of thousands of lumens would be blinding without a sytem of reflectors and diffusers, which cuts net light output by about half. In contrast, and LED array designed to create a similar flood pattern could have almost no fixture losses. I have no doubt high quality white LEDs will be made that produe as good or better color rendition, with 150 lumens per watt, within a few years.

Last edited: