Luxim Plasma Bulb Claims 140 Lumens/Watt

snarfer

Enlightened
I called up Luxim and tried to buy a development kit. They referred me to someone named Jan's voice mail. I left a message and they never called back, emailed, or otherwise attempted to contact me.

Scientist

Newly Enlightened
In order to avoid hotspots in the small glass they might "spin" or "stir" the microwave beam by using a small motorized reflective surface.

Analogous to a conventional microwave over where the food is usually rotated on a platter to avoid hot spots.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think lep or luxim are discussed enough in cpf, probably because it doesn't fit into led, flashlight, or household fixed lighting. And fixed lighting seems more for completed technologies, rather than theory.... Well, maybe not following enough sections, but googling, shows cpf not discussing luxim for about two year, though I finally caught a luxim reference in the led forum this week.

Todays Home Depot worklights suck. The huge (too huge for my big work van with everything else) and heavy wobble light is a weak florescent (not like the mail order hid), the halogen setup suck, lack a good form factor, and are outdated. I once used a photographers 700 watt halogen lowel tota light (obviously designed for car portability). It put out like four 500 watt halogens. I think it could achieve this with: 1. higher efficiency, by running hotter 2. more forward reflector 3. better out the front lumens with better reflector. (probably not orange peel) It was also way lighter and easier to move around than any Home Depot work light. The Tota light downsides: price, ever failing bulbs, and availability. (Got fresh job signed to do this week, then you need something by next day. Buying early, ties up hundreds of dollars in something you might not need for months. )

I think the luxim.com light would offer these advantages of the Tota, perhaps even twice the lux as the lowell tota. Problem is Luxim marketing people aren't thinking work light, or 110 volt power supply. And, price is outrageous, as yet. Still in the range of the rich hobbiest, photographer, or some lucrative specialty field.

They wrote me:

Thank you for your inquiry. I have attached some information on our lamps as well as information on our luminaries' development kit which is what one typically purchases on initial order. Below are the components for the development kit.

There are three components to the development kit:

1. The lamp. This includes the emitter and driver, and interconnecting cable.

2. Accessory kit. The kit includes power supply to provide a desk-top standalone system for testing purposes, the driver heat sink, small stand for emitter, and appropriate connectors and wiring to support easy setup. The lamps do not plug directly into the wall but use 28V DC source, and the power supply has the required connections to provide a system that is ready to go from the box.

3. Communications kit. This interface allows you to control the lamp further using our customer Graphical User Interface. You can operate the lamp without the GUI as a simple on/off lamp, but to get full use of the dimming controls and other system controls you will want to use the GUI software. The GUI software is specific to the family of lamps that you use, as they have different control functions in support of different applications.

The development kit with everything listed above sells for $795.00.

Let me know if you have any questions. We are looking forward to working with you.
Regards,

Dawn Sansen
Customer Service Coordinator
Luxim Corporation

Main Phone: 408-734-1096
Direct Phone: 408-470-4758
FAX: 408-400-0013
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
It takes lots of money to play with one of those Luxim kits.

My only issue is that it is only available in ~270w. I'd love to see 20w, 30w, 50w, 100w, 150w.... so that the end user can pick and choose how much lighting they'll need. I don't want to dim it to work in place of a ceiling or outdoor fixture. I just don't see their target market being a home user or even a small office. The multiple A19 bulb and fluorescent tubes do just fine.

Get the LEP bulbs in lower wattages.... in PAR30/38 15-20w range. If at a reasonable price, they'll sell like hotcakes, and we won't even care about LED or CFL. Not sure if they can adapt it to an A19 shape either.

Don't get me wrong. If I had $800 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd probably get one to see if I can light up an acre from the top of a utility pole. But, no way is $800 worth me replacing the A19's, R30's, or PAR38's around the house. For now, I can affordably do that with CFL and LED.

Latest posts