• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

M43vn - Best of 2015?

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone should make a scary movie about a jilted woman with crazy eyes who cracks unsuspecting men over the head with a GladiatorVN. They could call it No Ring!

Last edited:

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that really bugs me about m43 is that ringy corona which I first noticed in Vinh's own video and which is discussed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G6f9UjtWR0 beginning 4:30.

I really hate rings. But hopefully they can be mitigated by replacing narrow clear optics for some frosted ones. In all my triples I have replaced the clear lenses by either wide frosted (my Mac, indoor use) or narrow frosted (my triple ZL SC600). Has anyone tried any frosted version lenses in m43?

If this solves the problem then m43 would be the best candidate for my next purchase.

Good vid. I could see the ring in the pool but nowhere else. I guess the camera doesn't show what the eye can see. That's cool that you're wife gets involved.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good vid. I could see the ring in the pool but nowhere else. I guess the camera doesn't show what the eye can see. That's cool that you're wife gets involved.

I could clearly see that ring in Vinh's own video even though he was moving the beam around very quickly. Which means that at least in two cases the rings were very real. The beamshot of the stock light has it too:
M436__77253.1459400814.1280.1280.jpg

Now, since NewLumen does not see any rings it probably means that those rings come from XPG (both lights in the videos used xpg) while xpl is free of them. Or the ring in NewLumen's test was just too far sideways for him to notice.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots for the M43 posted on the German forum: ww.taschenlampen-forum.de/beamshot... will show what's happening with corona rings for various emitters for the M43, for the sample lights that were on hand for the photographers at the time.

I have the much beloved M43vn as indicated in the small print at the bottom of my posts, but my beam profile may differ from others, due to many variables.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots for the M43 posted on the German forum: ww.taschenlampen-forum.de/beamshot... will show what's happening with corona rings for various emitters for the M43, for the sample lights that were on hand for the photographers at the time.

I have the much beloved M43vn as indicated in the small print at the bottom of my posts, but my beam profile may differ from others, due to many variables.

I dont ser any ring on my m43vn xpl pdt. How about you rich?

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the fantastic resource! I have no idea how I could have missed that.
Looks like all LEDs produce whitewall visible rings with clear narrow optics although the nichia version has less of them. I think I would try to combine different optics in one light. For example, two triples with narrow frost and the other two with medium or wide frosted. Any combination would give its own resulting beam shape so everyone could settle on one he liskes most.

ven

Flashaholic
HUGE thanks vinh, :bow:amazing little light and thats before powered up(waiting for cells to charge as been stored) Cant believe how compact/small it is!

Will try out later, hopefully attempt a few beam pics when i get chance:)

ven

Flashaholic
Blob tops charged and good to go

WOW it gets warm quick on 100%, proper little beast is this and looks a real nice creamy tint to my eyes. Cant wait to try it in the dark!

quad triple and triple quad

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure you will enjoy this ultra classic item, very short length for two and a half inch pop can light that commanded much deserved attention when it first came out. I still only have one Meteor: Same leds as your new one, (Vn VPL pdtc) but with original driver. I am overdue for another Meteor; I got mine over a year ago. I have been holding out for 12000 lumens from the Meteor, before I grab my second Meteor.

When you can, please tell us about the beam profile. And congrats! :)

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks mr buff:) I hope to get out at weekend and stretch its short legs and attempt some beam pics/comparisons. Getting dark now so going to sneak out and test in a bit:D The xpl PDT are not cool, more closer to 5000k, kind of a creamy white to my eyes.

ven

Flashaholic
Very impressive mr buff, astonishing for its size..............ok CRAZY for its size. It will reach out or punch the light more than far enough for me, followed by flood/spill in abundance....

Quick n dirty and useless pic really as no chance of catching much out front

Punch

close up

Too wide to catch, would need to set it up front a few metres to get the flood angle. I would say you could EDC this little monster in a coat without too much bulk.............the ultimate kick a55 EDC (and crazy). If not an inside jacket pocket, certainly a side pocket!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I found frosted version to provide nicer and more useful beam so I plan to swap the clear ones in the Meteor I am buying right now.