• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

M43vn - Best of 2015?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinh sorry to hear about your grandfather :(

here are some numbers for the m43 stock

Noctigon Meteor M43 XPG2 S2 dedome
sony vtc
6002 @ turn on
5872 @ 30 sec
3432 h1
1827 h2
945 m1
448 m2
92 l1
3 l2
80,000 lux

Luxion

Newly Enlightened
jmpaul - Thank you for posting the figures from yours. I received my M43 Monday with the same setup as yours and I absolutely love it. I have accumulated quite an arsenal of V54 lights over the past 14 months so although I am relatively new at this I certainly can appreciate fine quality and performance and the M43 has that in spades. For those curious about the heat I measured the head temperature on mine using fresh VTC5's and it was 94F at 30 seconds, 120F @ 60 and 128F @ 2 minutes and then the thermal regulation started ramping things down. The battery tube never exceeded 99F and the Ambient temp was 75F. I could not visually see it dimming, but my high tech (ha ha) phone Lux app clearly showed it. I pitted it against my LD06vn and TM06vn and the lux number was nearly double. If there is a downside to this light I have not found it although I do need to read up on programming it even though the way it ships is not bad. Thank you and all of the other guys who post regularly because I am soaking up the information like a sponge.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ui 2 will allow turbo with one long press of about 2 sec from off
nice, but what about high mode? Can high mode be activated with just a single press? It's looks like on all three ui's, it requires a double press.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang the XPG2 dedomes go fast haha. Guess I better get my order in while I can.

$200 XPG2 6500K Shipped USA Stone White
+ $50 XPG2 PDTc

+ $5 "V54" hand engraved
Please engrave on tail cap above or below writing.

= $255

I had to sell other lights to get this. Can't wait!

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe if you set the ui to have memory you can access any mode from off.

This light does run very hot stock. Way hotter than the mm15vn and any tn36vn. The temp control doesnt prevent the light from getting scalding hot either.

Last edited:

Luxion

Newly Enlightened
I sent an email to Noctigon and shared my concerns about the heat levels and Hank (the owner) responded: "It will not turn itself down but will reduce power to half, still ambient temperature may not let the light cool down fast enough, at that point the user can change the modes to better suit his personal temperature range. Due to excellent thermal path the head will heat up very fast, hat is the effect of it. The fresh VTC5 are powerful cells able to maintain the high current draw, better the cells the higher the heat. Head should be around 5C in normal operation. Or higher up to around 70C for temporary modes as seen in the PDF manual.

And this line is from the PDF Owners Manual: Brightness threshold is 50C for every mode, except for the Holding of the button for Turbo where the thresold is 70C.

Its seems that this light is designed to take some heat!

lumentia

Enlightened
50*C (122*F) is starting to get too hot to hold for me. My max is about 125*F and I never run any of my lights above that. 70*C (158 F) is cooking temps haha. I don't see anybody being able to hold the button down up to 70*C without gloves.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm not worried about getting burned or the discomfort so much; it's the high temps around the batteries. That just scares me!

Capolini

Banned
I HAD the TN36[stock] and sent it back to illumns primarily because of the heat. It was even too hot on high after 12 minutes or so w/ 36F TEMP.!

I am sure the TN36vn would generate more heat than stock. Justin says that STOCK M43 is even hotter than TN36vn! :eek:

These lights are becoming so SMALL, BRIGHT, POWERFUL and generate Extreme amounts of heat. In my mind and For me they are "WOW" lights and are NOT practical unless you like Low and medium and use max for 30/45 second bursts! ;)

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I HAD the TN36[stock] and sent it back to illumns primarily because of the heat. It was even too hot on high after 12 minutes or so w/ 36F TEMP.!

I am sure the TN36vn would generate more heat than stock. Justin says that STOCK M43 is even hotter than TN36vn! :eek:

These lights are becoming so SMALL, BRIGHT, POWERFUL and generate Extreme amounts of heat. In my mind and For me they are "WOW" lights and are NOT practical unless you like Low and medium and use max for 30/45 second bursts! ;)

even the h1 mode heats up and cannot be left unattended. it really is a WOW light due to the output and size... like any wow light though just step it down to a medium mode or h2 for general use and there is no need to worry

markr6

Flashaholic

Thanks for that info. Even though I am searching for a WOW light, I think I may reconsider and get something more tame :) I would not leave anything unattended, but still don't want it to get so hot, so fast.

I wonder if the Nichia 219 M43 would run cooler?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that info. Even though I am searching for a WOW light, I think I may reconsider and get something more tame :) I would not leave anything unattended, but still don't want it to get so hot, so fast.

I wonder if the Nichia 219 M43 would run cooler?

doubtful... same current, just less lumen... im still on the fence about owning one of these puppies (my review sample is a passaround from BLF, so its going to someone else next for some photos etc)... if I do buy one it will be a 219b version though. - tint snob! :)

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
even the h1 mode heats up and cannot be left unattended. it really is a WOW light due to the output and size... like any wow light though just step it down to a medium mode or h2 for general use and there is no need to worry

Doesn't the M43 have a thermal sensor? At one point does it cause the heat to level off?

Luxion

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering how much quicker the XP-L version will hit the thermal regulation after seeing how much hotter my K40Lvn gets compared to my K40vn? Vinh needs to modify one of those battery pocket fans so it can mount to the light aimed at the head....just kidding, but someone needs to come up with a way to cool these lights or we might be looking at the brightest and smallest light for sometime to come.

Latest posts