• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

MadMax in a 1 AA Mini-Mag?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: Runtime of a MadMax in a 1 AA Mini-Mag

It has been stated ( by unknown authority) here on the CPF, that the output of a light has to change by 50% or better for the human eye to detect the change in the output of the light.

If the location of the adjustment pot were rotated 90 degrees so that the wiper arm faced to the outside, adjusting the MadMax+ would be much easier. I'm sure that there is very good (unknown to to me) reason for it's current position! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MadMax+ in a 1 AA Mini-Mag?

But, wouldn't the highest light output correspond to the highest voltage applied to the luxeon?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Sorry, I wasn't clear as to which thread I was refering to in the 09:52 thread. I was refering to a visual estimation of light change.

As I see it, the problem with ONLY checking the voltage Is a plateau effect, where the light output stops changing with increasing voltage. I don't know if the MadMax+ has a plateau effect or not. Someone with the patience to measure voltage vs light output and plot the results, could answer that question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was basing my assumption on the reports I've read here, that an increase of 0.1 V on a luxeon, could result in an increase in current of 100 mA or more. (after the forward voltage is met)
I haven't the resources to test luxeons like this, myself. I figure it sounds reasonable. Once the forward voltage is exceeded, any increase in voltage would increase the current through the luxeon, to some degree. But the question is, is the increase in brilliance worth the extra spent power? The answer would be different for each user, I guess.

What do you think, Dat2zip? Is the above method viable for adjusting MadMax brilliance? How do you do it before shipping them?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Madmax Modules are tested before they are shipped, but, only for a general gauge of Pass/Fail criteria. Depending on the module with 3V applied the module should draw some amount of current. Module to module and LED variances create a small range and we generally look for gross errors. Like way too little current, way too much current and no light conditions.

The trim pot creates a voltage divider from Vout to the feedback pin. Adjusting it to wide open is basically setting the trim pot wiper to GND.

In the new board, there is a SMT resistor from the feedback pin to GND which accomplishes the same thing.

Any diode or LED follows some IV curve. An increase in Vf is definitely an increase in current (I).

Since Madmax is a voltage regulator the Wide Open mode is really setting Madmax to try to regulate to 5V. Since it can only deliver X amount of power, The LED clamps this to some lower level and the Madmax dumps the maximum power to the LED in an vain attempt to try to raise Vout to 5V. Since it never acheives that stability it is running wide open... It's like you have the petal to the metal on your old car, but, it never goes faster than 45MPH.

There are only a few tricks that will boost Madmax output. 1) Use a higher Flux LED like an R or S ranked Luxeon. 2) Get a Luxeon with a lower Vf bin code. The lower Vf means more current to the LED. P = V * I

Where P = Power (Constant in this case)
V - Vf of the LED.
I - Current to the LED.

This simple equation shows that if the Vf of the diode goes down with fixed power, then the current (I) would go up to keep the equation balanced.

Hope this helps.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I made an "actual size" picture of the M³ in photoshop, with the Kroll transplanted from a pic that Jtice posted.
It is actual size when screen resolution is 1152 x 864.

This should give you a good idea of the pocketability of a light of the caliber of a MadMax+.

fbbd4eef.jpg

jtice

Flashaholic

Nice work shankus....
Although,, on my monitor, with 1152 x 864, the pic is alitttle smaller than the actual light. But close.

souyou

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
dat2zip said:
In the new board, there is a SMT resistor from the feedback pin to GND which accomplishes the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Off topic, but does this mean that new batch of Madmax will not be adjustable?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two of the new sandwiches, and both have the trim pot, and both trim pots are the metal ones on mine.

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
Although,, on my monitor, with 1152 x 864, the pic is alitttle smaller than the actual light.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is just right on mine. I only dabble a bit in graphics, just a tiny hobby. Perhaps the difference in the dot pitch of various monitors may make it smaller or larger?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes and No.

The new board can be loaded either way. With or without the trim pot. I will be making both types. No trim pot and with trim pot. Original and Plus.

Wayne

souyou

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, Wayne.
I need Original MM with trim pot for my project.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Dat2zip, regarding your 7-2 post, I just turned the pot down on my MMQ+. After purchasing it, a while back, I had turned it way up, to point where it wanted to turn off. I backed down a hair, and ran with it. My run time was 1 hour 20 minutes of good lite. I now realize that I was wasting power by turning it up so high, for no real gain in brightness.

Bill

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill,

That's the bleeding edge stuff. I'm not that thrilled with the electrical and thermal connection the module makes to the flashlight housing and as such cringe when the LED is overdriven so hard.

The WOW factor is cool and for intermittent usage that's great. but, it seems many use it as an EDC. As long as you can keep the top clean and the inside battery tube lip very clean really helps the heat transfer.

Wayne