• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Maelstrom S12 Factory VS Maelstrom S12 Direct Drive on IMR 26650

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did they do that?
IF direct drive doesn't get S12 to 9A on IMR...... then how??

The SR-90 has a Driver and proprietary cell

It actually made 1480-1200 real out the front lumens from turn on to 3-4minutes, which makes it a failure. I still like it's 95k lux though

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
The SR-90 has a Driver and proprietary cell

It actually made 1480-1200 real out the front lumens from turn on to 3-4minutes, which makes it a failure. I still like it's 95k lux though

I tried to burn in my S12 with 6V AC adapter but the adapter only pushed the LED to 4.5A. It did burn in a little though. S12DD is now pulling 4.2A instead of 3.8A like before.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I will send you some NiMH CR123 sized cells that can take 30A!!!!!!!!! 4 of them should fit in that body, but granted you will not use the tailcap and just put a spacer to center the cells.

bigC

Sounds interesting! :huh:

Are these freely available? Do you have the brand or dealer details for these?

Thanks
Stephen

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds interesting! :huh:

Are these freely available? Do you have the brand or dealer details for these?

Thanks
Stephen

I call them CR123 size NiMH cells, but they are a bit shorter in reall life. They appear to be freaking awesome.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/intellect-1600-23a.html

In my Tests:
My SST-50 light would pull 3A at the tail with IMR 18650, but when I used 3 of these the tailcap current was 5.5A or so. So, they appear to deliver more juice then even IMR 18650 cells. I used these cells to test certain lights, but they have proven to be too much for most emitters to handle in that they give me way more current then I wanted for my DD builds. The SSt-90 should benefit from these significantly.

bigC

Bass

Enlightened
Great thread! Nice job vinhnguyen54, on the mod and bigC for the info. It's amazing what you guys get up to!!

lovecpf

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Break in:
Put 5V or so input run for 3 min (yes, alot of current and heat) make sure no blue tint shift. I use 4 NiMH C Tenergy cells for this and get 10A tailcap....50watts OUCH.

Repeat this proces about 4~5 times (let it cool 100% before you begin another cycle) and you will get almost double the tailcap current when you go back to your IMR 26650 and the lumens will nearly double too.

bigC

I have no idea how you figured this out but that is a heck of a trick. Going to try this.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea how you figured this out but that is a heck of a trick. Going to try this.

Remember to try it againts a white wall because you will definitely see any tint change. Angry blue turn it off immediately. White = keep going. Good luck!

I did this to SST-50 and SST-90 lights that are direct drive and to this day the results are spectacular.

bigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
I call them CR123 size NiMH cells, but they are a bit shorter in reall life. They appear to be freaking awesome.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/intellect-1600-23a.html

In my Tests:
My SST-50 light would pull 3A at the tail with IMR 18650, but when I used 3 of these the tailcap current was 5.5A or so. So, they appear to deliver more juice then even IMR 18650 cells. I used these cells to test certain lights, but they have proven to be too much for most emitters to handle in that they give me way more current then I wanted for my DD builds. The SSt-90 should benefit from these significantly.

bigC

Do you soldier them into battery packs and charge them all together?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I had no idea the 4Sevens were protected. That is more useful for me (in my own build). Do you know if they are temp protected/over discharge protected/ over charge protected or all 3?

stienke

Enlightened
How can whe dissamble the thermal resistor?,can you explain it by a picture maybe?
Can you only break in the Led without the driver?,or when you use the light normally the led is breaking in?(after about 5 hours)

GJR

BTW, I get 2.2A from the tail with a fresh IMR/standard batterie:confused:

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you soldier them into battery packs and charge them all together?

I charge one at a time and use them normally....

I have the ones with tabs and just cut the tabs to leave just enough to make them like a nipple on top so the positive side is somewhat a buttontop now. The flat ones without tabs can be used too, but you might need solder applied to the positive side to make them buttontop/nipple top.

bigC

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Just desolder and insulate the red and black leads that connect to the tiny resistor in pic number 2.
How can whe dissamble the thermal resistor?,can you explain it by a picture maybe?
Can you only break in the Led without the driver?,or when you use the light normally the led is breaking in?(after about 5 hours)

GJR

BTW, I get 2.2A from the tail with a fresh IMR/standard batterie:confused:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great thread with some really eye opening information! Thanks for posting these findings Vin and BigC!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I am still in the process of burning in my S12 LED. Just ordered 4 C size nihm battery and still charging to do my first real burn in.

Questions: Since the SST90 in the SR90 is driven so hard does it mean that all SR90 LED are burnt in? If yes Can I just use a SR90 to burn in my SST90 LEDS?