Mag Light Discussion

sniper

Enlightened
Wow!
Things haven't changed much in the last 6-7 years...back then we even had a kid whose username was Maghater. He was 14, passionate, and a nice guy, I wonder whatever hapened to him? Anyway, the discussion seems much more reasonable now.

You either like or hate MagLites. Truly, they are the pick-up truck of flashlights. I've owned 3D Mags since the '80s, and MMags since the 90's. I like them...as was stated, they offer what I wanted, and still do... reliability, weather resistant...you can use' em in the wet!... reasonable cost, and good looks.(IMO) I've upgraded all of my standard Mmags with LEDs, for the improved run time and better light, tho. But, the advances in flashlight technology in the last 6-7 years are amazing!

I like the switch on the C and D bodies, but have never seen the usefuleness of the focus, so I just set mine and forget it. Multiple levels...low and high, and maybe "firefly" are a goodness. Could they maybe offer two ot three lighting levels like others do, using a similar switch? Of course, strobe and SOS seem like a bit of snake oil to me, but everybody's doing it, soooo...

I don't like the twisty head switch on the minis, which is why I outfit mine with a clicky.

The twist-on-mulitple-function-focus head on the newer Mmag LEDs is a mess...a real turn-off. (no pun) I'm selling mine.

I think that Mag could offer a water-resistant two-level tailcap switch in their Mini LED models that would cost about the same as buying an aftermarket clicky, and the customers would be happy.

But, that's just me.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
In the 80s, Maglite was the best handlheld flashlight product. Their technology has remained stagnant since that time.Over the years, there have been many criticisms about Maglite; none of which appeared to have encouraged that company to innovate. I don't really care about their products anymore. Maglite can do whatever it wants.

That individual that criticized Maglite recently is free to do so and at any level. I don't care about those comments. They are as relevant as Maglite's technology.

budynabuick

Enlightened
I'm going to unleash on facts here:

So, go do what you want. But I think I'll go buy a few more LED Maglites now and give them out to family members and close friends, to give a few Americans a job.

P.S. If you want a XP-G LED outting 200+ lumens on easy to find and cheap to replace AA's and AAA's, you can go find an XL200 or a MiniMag Pro (or Pro+). With multi-light settings, it can stay on for days, close to a full week. If you want a Luxeon Rebel LED at a little more than 100 lumens, you can get an XL50. Batts available at any gas station or grocery store.

Now, that's a flashlight every person needs that'd I'd be proud to give as a gift.

Not some over priced and over bright Chinese light that won't last in an emergency and for maybe 2+ decades.

What he said:thumbsup:

Keith (who just bought 3 mags)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I'm a bit lazy tonight...

(answer to magmans post, ragweed typed to quickly)
such a single sided point of view could have been expected from someone bearing such a nickname

the FACT is: those makers did provide us with lights that the big player was not able to give for years
(and all those claims then, that "a led light is in the makes and will be released shortly" - which I personally have been told from the Austrian representative for a total of three years - and then this release is a joke, light that simply is too long and offered nothing, which the chinese makes did use as "standard" already.

Plus the machining, materials used, finish (HA anodizing), UI, ..., of the better makers is not yet offered.

imho that answer from that mod is a bit hard but completely true.

Adapt or become extinct, thats what happens to dinosaurs

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

LostCove NC

Newly Enlightened
Maglites get the job done, but it ain't gonna be pretty. I have several mags, they are durable and strong, but they are strictly glove-box duty. Nothing against them, but my definition of hell is perpetual darkness with only a (stock) maglite to light the way...:devil:

OK maybe thats a little strong...those $2 lights are waaaay worse. I guess we are all a little spoiled. :shakehead

Samy

Enlightened
I have several 4D mag lights at home and work. The plain old Incan 4D's still sell on shelves here for $89.95 which is about $95USD, they have the name so they have the price. However I picked up a couple of brand new blister packs with 4xD duracells on runout for about $15ea at my local supermarket, too cheap to pass up. I don't use them but they get used strictly as loaner lights for my staff and family as they won't get lost, won't get easily damaged, simply turn on or off, batteries last ages even though they get dim pretty quick.

They're not for me, I prefer chinese type modern lights, and I would never pay $89.95 for a basic 4D mag light but for the $15 I paid they've come in handy and well worth it for that price.

Cheers

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a couple of brand new blister packs with 4xD duracells on runout for about $15ea at my local supermarket, too cheap to pass up.

+1 :thumbsup:

I've got one of the $20 clearance 3D/2AA (plus batteries) packs from Coles still in the packaging, as you say too cheap to pass up and I'll always need another Maglite 3D host for modding...

squareapple

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Maglite, you produce a durable and
economical product, Modders everywhere are
forever indebted. Now evolve, broaden your
product line and compete; we all benefit from
having better lights. As for the others, thank
you for the wake up call; your aggressive
innovation is raising the bar rapidly.
The criticisms of both are valid but so what;
we just want more and better lights.
The last decade has been amazing, let's keep
it rolling:)

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bedside light has been a 3C Mag light for many years. I prefer the C size as it fits my hands better. It provided the brightness and throw for my own uses including camping. I recently installed a LED bulb, and it is even better. I would miss the key chain size lights, but other than that if all I had from now on was that light plus a couple of AA Mag Lights I would have all I really need in flashlights.
I also have used a 1 cell Streamlight Twin Task Light on my nightstand for normal night time use, until now I have a Thruite Ti.
Jerry