Mag SST-50 & SST-90 heatsinks

wquiles

Flashaholic
Copper is way to expensive and heavy and offers no substantial gain over aluminum for flashlights from what I have read.

$70 per foot compared to $10 for aluminum.

Mac

+1

I am with Mac on this one. Technically Copper is better thermally, but Al is "really" good for the job at hand.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I would be interested in D size and also the C if this is also for the SST-50. Are you going to have the emitter on a center ridge with the plus and minus pads exposed like I did?
There really isn't any need for an HA finish either on these.
It's interesting that the SST-50 has a wider center solder pad than the 90.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested in a sink for a D sized mag and sst-50. I think it would make for a pretty cool single cell, dd aspheric.

NetKidz

Enlightened
I'm interested in two SST-90 heatsink for MagD if you could ship internationally.

:thanks:

How about instead of a heatsink a whole body that acts as the heatsink for it? I am thinking a one piece of metal with fins and flutes, it would be able to hadle the intense heat of those SST leds.

I think FM prototyped such a light, google search...... Bingo! here it is

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=204829

Too bad this did not came to be. Just an idea for you to consider.

AlexGT

No one picked up on this suggestion. Seems to me that if heat is really an issue, designing the whole light to dissipate heat makes sense. Or is it the case that the heatsink alone is cheaper and does a good enough job for 99% of applications?

bill

wquiles

Flashaholic
No one picked up on this suggestion. Seems to me that if heat is really an issue, designing the whole light to dissipate heat makes sense. Or is it the case that the heatsink alone is cheaper and does a good enough job for 99% of applications?

bill

The whole light "already" dissipates the heat either to air, or to your blood, but like with CPU heatsinks, some heatsink designs are more efficient than others in dissipating heat to the air.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finished up the prototype heatsink and it works well. It could a little tricky soldering the wire but I managed on the first shot. If they where anodized it would be easier.

On to the pics :)

P1040161-vi.jpg

P1040163-vi.jpg

P1040167-vi.jpg

With some Glow

P1040168-vi.jpg

P1040171-vi.jpg

P1040173-vi.jpg

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was playing with this heatsink and new SST-50 and was amazed at the hotspot using a standard Mag Smooth reflector. The beam had a nice round hot spot with a slightly dimmer clover pattern from the square die. I'm picky when it comes to beam patterns and the slight clover did not bother me at all.

It appears we have a new king of the hill LED :)

I'll offer a batch of these at $28 shipped each. I know this is more expensive than other LED heatsinks but these are also not being made on production orientated machines.

Mac

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice Mac,

I have a P60 drop-in from Dave with a SST-50 and I love the beam. I prefer it over my P7 and MC-E. I only wish they offered them in a warm tint.

Now we just need to find a way to run these at a higher amp to get closer to the max output if that is possible.

netprince

Enlightened
That looks great, I'm in for one D size if its not too late...

EDIT: SST-90, D-size mag

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the final product going to be black ano? Did you solder the leads on, then AA it to the heatsink? The SST-90 sink has a different pocket?

I'll need one for a SST-90.