Mag Switch Resistance Fix.. 1/6th stock!

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using de-soldering braid I ran a piece from the bottom to the top of the spring. I roughened the inside of the cap and made sure the cap threads were clean for good contact.

The braid I wrapped around the spring wire and soldered the braid closed. The braid is soldered to its self and captures the spring wire. The braid makes contact to the cap and to the bottom of the battery. The spring holds it in place is all.

You must heat it too hot to solder it to the spring in most cases which changes the spring temper.

Over the years I believe I have showns with the many experiments, mods and posts the 5761 puts out a bigger and beam and more lumens than the ROP and teh ol' '85 at only 7.2V!! Your ROP will benefit with the mod.

I found this modification and a modification to the switch to be very beneficial in providing more power to the bulb.

Have fun and look forward to building more and brighter!
As an after thought, a picture. The bottom connection shows the wrap. It is turned around for the photo. The top is isolated because the circuit has a fuse. The second photo shows an alternative to the spring. link: 2C Mag Tail Cap mod for AW's "C" cells and link:
Tail Cap Spring Substitution Solution!
tailntcfusepv5.jpg

springreplacementmz8xq7.jpg

NL

Last edited:

Jarski

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jarski,

When I did this mod I added the piece of braided copper wire to the center of the spring, but to do it rather than the soldering iron I used a pencil torch. I roughed up the inside of the cap a bit and put a little flux in there and held it with some pliers. Then I cut a small piece of solder and dropped in. I held the cap over the torch until it melted and stuck the braid in and let it cool (touched the bottom to a piece of ice). IMHO this by itself made a noticeable difference for my M*g5761 project. With this and some progold on a 5761 bulb it raised the VF to the point I had to make a soft start to keep from :poof:ing the bulb. With an ROP I dont think blowing the bulb will be an issue (if you are using 2x li-ion or 6x nimh) since the flash point is higher for this bulb.

If you don't have a torch, you could probly use a stove burner, I think either a propane or even setting it on an electric would probly do the trick.

I'll try this. Thanks!

Latest posts