Magic Fire 65W HID

warmurf

Enlightened
Is the 85W a reality? Is it coming or are people just speculating? That would be worth waiting for? Although to be fair it would deserve 6 x 18650s, which then takes away from the compact size. 85W with three 18650s seems like putting a 2 gallon fuel tank on a V8 Mustang..........:sick2::shakehead:duh2::(:drool::ohgeez::confused:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes battery cartridge does not appear to be any different to the naked eye.

I have used eagletac 3100 cells.

I am hoping to take some beamshots tomorrow. Externally the 45W looks the same as the 65W to me. I have had to charge another set of 4 cells so immediately couldn't draw a comparison. Keep you guys posted.

MDJAK

Newly Enlightened
My Magic Fire 45W is on its way back to Ric in China as the bulb went bad. I am going to pay the difference and upgrade to this new light.

I look forward to receiving it. Will report when I do.

mark

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warmuf, these lights use 4 cells, not 3. You know, I just might be willing to upgrade this light if the price is right and if I could have a new reflector tossed on with the deal.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
if there is ever an 85w version made i will definately be wanting one... the option to have 18650 cells and a replaceable bulb (and better build quality) makes these better options than the ebay hids

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm not really sure I'd call the bulbs "replaceable" in the sense that it's a simple plug-n-play task. They are not conventionally sized bulbs either. Not easily available. It takes fine soldering skills and requires damage to the bulb's return wire to get the job done.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not really sure I'd call the bulbs "replaceable" in the sense that it's a simple plug-n-play task. They are not conventionally sized bulbs either. Not easily available. It takes fine soldering skills and requires damage to the bulb's return wire to get the job done.
Agreed. Without a significant internal redesign, it is not at all straightforward to replace. I've had my head opened up and it does not look like it's meant to be user serviceable.

Wilkey

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for the info

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - the gremlins have struck again... I thought this HID looked identical to the 45W.... side by side was no different. It looked really bright - but then I had forgotten that the 45W HID was not a bad light at all. Putting them side by side after having charged the 2nd set of 18650 gave me that sinking feeling. I have now had confirmation from Rick via email that the 'shipping department' has sent me a 45W by mistake instead of the 65W. So here we are with a another false start. He has promised to put it right with no cost to me. He is hopefully going to ship the '65W' light in the next few days as it sounds like he hasn't got one in stock. I am sorry to have got off to this false start but these things do happen....

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
scaled.php

"Wha, yoo blamin mei?
How abt put one in each han, now yo hav 90 Wa" :devil:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somehow I just got this sinking feeling that the difference in output of the 65w to the 40w will not be as great as expected. Those of us who have the ebay 35w/55w/75w HIDs find that the difference in output between the 35w mode and 75w mode is not visually as much as the figures themselves suggest. Compounded by the fact that Chinese made flashlights have always overrated the outputs of their flashlights for marketing and sales purposes. A 40w ballast is already a handful for 4x18650s to handle, imagine a 65w ballast, I doubt very much even the best 3100mah cells today can cope with that kind of punishment and produce true 65w figures.

yifu

Enlightened
Well, quad XPG drop ins run at around 22W and a single 3100mah cell will deliver full output. 65W runs down to 17ish watts per 18650 and thats definitely do-able. If you're worried, you can always use the newer 2250maH LiMn cells. Those will deliver 30Ws each easily.

yifu

Enlightened
A little bit off topic but, yep that's the cell i was talking about. Kallie's Kustoms has a protected version of it(i think). With that cell a 85W version can certainly be a reality, even though the runtime would be a bit abysmal

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...

I've been using Panasonic CGRs before I got my 40w. I reckon the CGRs are better than AW IMRs, my incands seem to run brighter for longer on the CGRs.

BVH

Flashaholic
For those of you with the Kallies CGR2250's and other CGR's from other sellers, does the shrink wrap stop about 1/32" short of fully covering the metal case on the negative end? Mine from Kallies and another seller overseas came the same way which is a definite killer/dead short scenairo for use in the Magic Scorpion and other, tight clearance lights. I don't understand why the material doesn't wrap a little bit around the case as is does on the positive end.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
For those of you with the Kallies CGR2250's and other CGR's from other sellers, does the shrink wrap stop about 1/32" short of fully covering the metal case on the negative end? Mine from Kallies and another seller overseas came the same way which is a definite killer/dead short scenairo for use in the Magic Scorpion and other, tight clearance lights. I don't understand why the material doesn't wrap a little bit around the case as is does on the positive end.
Check out Ebay and wrap them anyway you like in three colors or clear. I use clear and seal a label inside to identify. Works for me. YMMV
(18650 Battery) 29.5MM Φ18.5MM PVC HEAT SHRINK TUBING 25FT

Last edited: