Magic Fire 65W HID

BVH

Flashaholic
Can't. There is no more space to add even .003" shrink tubing (times both sides for .006") and have the loaded cartridge fit in the tube.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH: My CGRs the same as yours, with the fully exposed bottom. I don't see why it will be a dead short scenario as the whole body of the cell and flashlight is negative current, only the carrot/button top/positive contact spring the only positive current right? I think the exposed bottom would only be a problem with protected cells where they have that conductive strip that connects the PCB at the base to the positive on top of the cell?

BVH

Flashaholic
BVH: My CGRs the same as yours, with the fully exposed bottom. I don't see why it will be a dead short scenario as the whole body of the cell and flashlight is negative current, only the carrot/button top/positive contact spring the only positive current right? I think the exposed bottom would only be a problem with protected cells where they have that conductive strip that connects the PCB at the base to the positive on top of the cell?
If the cells were in parallel, there would be no issue when any case touched any other case but since they are in series, there are different voltages at any given two different cases. The moment the two battery cases in the two forward-most positions in the carrier touched the body, there was instant arc and much heat and a tiny bit of smoke.

BVH

Flashaholic
Not sure if I'm explaining this clearly. Try lining up 4 18650 in series in a line. Place the negative Volt meter probe on the last cell case and then proceed to probe the other 3 cases up the line. You'll get positive Voltage readings so to touch case number one with cases number 2-4 will result in a negative to positive short.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, they are a bit hard to find (see very little mentioned of them) but AW now makes 2000mah IMRs as well as their old 1600mah version.

However, I don't see any reason why 4 x 3100s shouldn't work just fine for 65w. 3.6v x 6.2a= 22.32w x 4= 89.28w

:ohgeez:Bugger... I'll use AW IMRs then.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unprotected 3100mah cells are not "safe" chemistry cells like IMRs and CGRs. Using 4 in series could seriously be tempting fate. I've tried to squeeze protected Xtar 2400s and 2600s and they could not fit because they were too wide.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using x4 Eagletac 3100 - they fit perfectly. It says IC protection against over charge or short circuit protection.

Mohan

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I removed the ridge from the top of the tube, my Redilast 2900s fit fine in my MF (but it's snug, no doubt.)

Unprotected 3100mah cells are not "safe" chemistry cells like IMRs and CGRs. Using 4 in series could seriously be tempting fate. I've tried to squeeze protected Xtar 2400s and 2600s and they could not fit because they were too wide.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using x4 Eagletac 3100 - they fit perfectly. It says IC protection against over charge or short circuit protection.

Mohan

Thank you for the info, as I plan on using Eagletac 18650 3100mAh cells. I realise the runtime won't be very long, but I will probably buy the 45W too.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The battery fit situation is so bad with this light it's almost in need of a battery compatibility specific thread, as in the case of the TM11.

I can 'wedge' 3000mah Ultra-Fire cells in mine but they're very tight, not to mention they're fire cells.

Redilast 2900mah cells work.

Eagletac 3100mah cells work according to Mohanjude.

Kallie's CGR 2250mah cells don't work according to BVH

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are pictures of the batteries inside the battery tube.

The Green batteries from Panasonic fit perfectly.

DSC01794.jpg

DSC01795.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

mohan
The battery fit situation is so bad with this light it's almost in need of a battery compatibility specific thread, as in the case of the TM11.

I can 'wedge' 3000mah Ultra-Fire cells in mine but they're very tight, not to mention they're fire cells.

Redilast 2900mah cells work.

Eagletac 3100mah cells work according to Mohanjude.

Kallie's CGR 2250mah cells don't work according to BVH

yifu

Enlightened
OK - the gremlins have struck again... I thought this HID looked identical to the 45W.... side by side was no different. It looked really bright - but then I had forgotten that the 45W HID was not a bad light at all. Putting them side by side after having charged the 2nd set of 18650 gave me that sinking feeling. I have now had confirmation from Rick via email that the 'shipping department' has sent me a 45W by mistake instead of the 65W. So here we are with a another false start. He has promised to put it right with no cost to me. He is hopefully going to ship the '65W' light in the next few days as it sounds like he hasn't got one in stock. I am sorry to have got off to this false start but these things do happen....
So have you heard from them again? Have they shipped the 65W version yet? Maybe there's no such thing as a 65W MagicFire, only 40W Magicfires, and everyone got cheated. Please do report back when you receive the "65W" version. Thanks for being an early adopter, so we can learn from your mistakes or otherwise :)

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a variety of excuses including International Labour day. I am not impressed with the slow progress but I am going to give it a few more days.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
So have you heard from them again? Have they shipped the 65W version yet? Maybe there's no such thing as a 65W MagicFire, only 40W Magicfires, and everyone got cheated. Please do report back when you receive the "65W" version. Thanks for being an early adopter, so we can learn from your mistakes or otherwise :)

A) I'm not sure if you've ever dealt with Ric before, but I have and I can assure you he is not that kind of person.

B) The MF65w does exist, read the posts from the 40w forum and you can see that some users in China already have it and have taken measurements.

yifu

Enlightened
Of course i have dealt with Ric before, and i'll agree, he tries to make things right everytime something goes wrong. Since he is just a distributor, i was worried that he got cheated by the manufacturer. And i've seen the posts on shoudian.com as well, it's just that i would like to get a CPFer's impression before i jump in.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I have had a email from Ric saying he has shipped but no tracking info.. Monday is 'Labour day' in the UK so looks like it will Tuesday when it arrives if he has shipped today. DHL do not deliver on the weekends unless Saturday delivery is paid which is a premium..

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK here we go ROUND 2 - the replacement 65W light has arrived - thanks Ric for sending it as promised.

Packaging is exactly the same.. carboard sleeve and bubble warp protecting the torch inside plastic sealed DHL envelope
DSC01799.jpg

DSC01800.jpg

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

No obvious damage apart from a very small nick on the Bezel. I am not complaining but you can see it on the front shot

It looks identical to the 40W - in fact if I didnt put a 65W sticker on it I wouldn't know. The 65W is the one on the left and will be now on from all the photos.

DSC01806.jpg

The battery cage is exactly the same

DSC01804.jpg

I had trouble intially getting the Eagletac 3100 to work - it would flick on and switch off immediately. Tried with Panasonic 18650 3100 and worked. Switched back to Eagletac and it worked again.. protection having second thoughts ??

The rough ceiling bounce test shows that under the exact same conditions (daylight with background lux registering on the meter) the 65W is brighter. I know it is a crude test but when you are comparing the 2 it is quite clear. 432 vs 307 on freshly charged cells. A 40% increase..

I didn't have time to check amp draw during my lunch break but I suspect the amp draw will be correspondingly higher

To the naked eye the 65W beam profile looks nice (I did not adjust anything) as I could not see the horrible shadow of the arc wire.

DSC01807.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

AMP Draw Video - this off Panasonic cells - if I have time I will wire it to a 14.4V LIPO 4amp 20C cell and see if it is any different

Last edited: