Maglite are coming out with new LED!!!

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I guess I'm the only guy who does NOT want to see a 120+ lumen stock Mag in Target. I like to keep masses ignorant, and myself privileged with my Cree lights.

The more crees out there, the more money they make. That money gets dumped into R&D and we get brighter/more efficient lights quicker. Put a Cree/SSC/Rebel into every light out there and lets see some better stuff.

Roger

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
If mag does a complete redesign of their head for good heat sinking, a Cree would be fabulous. If its another un-heat sinked drop in, it's still pretty useless.

Why? They can switch to an emitter that's 2x as efficient, then reduce the starting current to produce the same or slightly more output than the Luxeon version. With the reduced heat load, there will be no need for the drastic throttling back of current (and output) that is now necessary with the current MagLEDs.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Very interesting thread here. :thumbsup:
Surprised that i just saw it today ! (i'm slipping :))

I believe defloyd77 has a very good point, in his post #31.

Mag Instrument could use this "new" opportunity to Go Green, and make "bonus points" by doing so.

Just as they make (or at least made) a big deal about being "Made in U.S.A".

Here's my prediction/opinion/wishful-thinking/wildassguess:

They'll bring out another 2-AA cell flashlight.

It will appear VERY similar to their original "classic" 2-AA design (externally).

It will have a latest-generation emitter, like the Cree XR-E.

It will no longer have focus-ability. That didn't work out too well. :whistle:

Instead, it'll have improved heat-sinking capability.

May or may not retain Candle-Mode. If that needs to be sacrificed for heat-sinking, then it'll be dropped.

But now, my friends, here is the "Green" part . . . .

It would be packaged with Duracell low-self-discharge NiMH cells !

These batteries, for those of you who don't know, are shipped
Pre-Charged, and Ready for Use, right outta' the package.

They hold 85% of their charge after a YEAR, so you could install them in the Mini-MagLED2 and use 'em right away.

And yet, they can be recharged, rather than simply thrown away.

"Better for the environment. Better for your wallet. Blah blah blah . . . ."

But wait, there's more:

The flashlight would have 2-brightness levels.

Selection would be with the same ol' Mini-Mag-type switch,
but as the head is unscrewed (to turn it ON), it goes first to High mode, and then next to Low mode.

If they DO keep Candle-Mode, that would always be at Low.

Since they now have the added Power of NiMH cells,
the High level could be set at a higher current draw.

Low level, while still plenty bright (way more than 2AA incand.)
would be at a more reasonable current, to make Alkaline users happy.

Regulation ? Who knows. :sigh:

That would be GREAT, but they may pinch pennies and skip it. :mecry:

But nothing i've stated here is "pushing the envelope", even for Mag. :kiss:

And could easily be implemented into their Product Line.

Oh, and they'll bring out Pretty Colors this time. :party:

And Nascar versions. And Sports teams versions.

And a CandlePowerForum version. (ok, i just made that one up)

Whatta' ya' think, guys ?

:popcorn:
_

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of me wants (hopes for) Mag to get it right. The other part of me wants them to fail utterly to be a warning for other American manufactures to learn that they must continually innovate and not just stand on brand name alone.

I look forward to what happens either way.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why? They can switch to an emitter that's 2x as efficient, then reduce the starting current to produce the same or slightly more output than the Luxeon version. With the reduced heat load, there will be no need for the drastic throttling back of current (and output) that is now necessary with the current MagLEDs.

Because the sentence after that states...

Especially to CPFers who want to drive a cree(s) at 1.5+ amps.

What's the use of a 70 lumen Mag? If I only need a little bit of light I"ll grab a 1XAA or 1XRCR123 Light. No reason to haul a monstrocity like a Mag around if it can't throw hard. Runtimes don't matter in these days when you can get days from a single AA light.

Part of me wants (hopes for) Mag to get it right. The other part of me wants them to fail utterly to be a warning for other American manufactures to learn that they must continually innovate and not just stand on brand name alone.

I look forward to what happens either way.

I feel the same way, though unfortunately mag isn't going to go down anytime soon. Still way too many undereducated Americans out there to keep them afloat. All I can do is educate all those I can about how terrible mags currently are. It generally takes a little show and tell demonstration because they don't ever believe a 6D mag can be beaten. :shakehead

xiaowenzu

Banned
Many things can be debated But only one thing is certain: At the end of a global nuclear war, only 3 things will survive... Cockroaches, Cher, and Maglites. :laughing:

Mags are great for modding too! :))

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many things can be debated But only one thing is certain: At the end of a global nuclear war, only 3 things will survive... Cockroaches, Cher, and Maglites
Mags are great for modding too!
I believe that Cher is far and away more modded than any extreme Maglite in existence. :p

Runtimes don't matter in these days when you can get days from a single AA light.
Well, you only get days from an AA in low mode. Besides, I guess some people just want to toss in a few D cells and forget about batteries for the following few weeks/months.

Last edited:
I was in Wally's today and I'm happy to say Mag has some serious competition. Next to what was left of the Mags was a peg full of Brinkman 2AA Led lights for about $13. On the other side were several pegs of ROV extreme 2AA 3 watters for about $25. If Mag does not innovate they will be lost. Just another American company that rested on its laurels (sp?)

:sick:

Illum

Flashaholic
My bet is that they come out with some new colors of anodizing. :sigh:

Probably won't happen....if thats the case Mag wouldn't have released so many colors in the first place...check out that old thread called "My minimag collection"

2. They use normal batteries and don't require an internet connection or $11 at Wal-Mart to buy replacements

5. People won't generally steal them so my $250 Quad Cree XRE Q5, Fraen FRC, MaxFlex, HA-III, black strike bezeled bored 8AA beast generally won't walk away. Hammer somebody with 800 lumens and the stealth nature of the Mag gains teeth. There is a reason so many parts are made for the Mag.

6. The stock head can handle 10 watts of heat! Modders love that the light can take some heat and still work.

2. try using normal batteries outdoors around 30F....see how far you can go before they give up :rolleyes:[this is I think the only grudge I have with alkaline cells, this and leaking when the temperatures about 90F]

5. actually nonflashaholic people tend to steal what they know how to use, or if its big enough to be noticeable.....don't ask how I know, I lost a few buddies:mad:
6. makes you wonder why Mag put so much heatsink in the head and not use it for anything doesn't it?

I've noticed over th past 6 months that Mag is not supplying ANY of their retailers (from Target, Wal-Mart, Sporting goods, ACE and True Value, just a few) with anywhere near complete restocking of their products.

considering Mag instruments is a private company, is there any chance mags are simply "giving out" from a shift in customer focus/sales [partially or completely because of us and or people like us]?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. try using normal batteries outdoors around 30F....see how far you can go before they give up :rolleyes:[this is I think the only grudge I have with alkaline cells, this and leaking when the temperatures about 90F]

5. actually nonflashaholic people tend to steal what they know how to use, or if its big enough to be noticeable.....don't ask how I know, I lost a few buddies:mad:
6. makes you wonder why Mag put so much heatsink in the head and not use it for anything doesn't it?

Most people use alkaline cells so unless the flashlight has a built-in cell phone, they won't go for $5 a piece CR123A cells. For AA lights you do have the option of using Energizer E2 lithiums for cold weather.

People will tend to steal anything! If the light looks "tacti-cool" it is gone. They either throw the light away when the batteries die or go to Wal-Mart and freak when they see the replacement battery cost.

Mag put so much material in the head for durability, weight and "smackability" The 4D lights are clubs that light up.

Mag has to make a move now, they took a baby step with the MagLED and if the Cree rumor is true, they might (should) make a change to thermally regulate the heat and use a proper heat sink. Throw in a low mode and I would think of buying a few for gifts.

We are not talking sending someone to Mars...

Illum

Flashaholic
on #2, I was referring to the D mags...as I'm fairly certain theres no E2 lithium Ds in the alkaline section as far as I know

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if Mag knows whats best, they'd go back to luxIs [as it appears to have comparable output anyway] driven at less than spec current where its more efficient, then kill the price down to something worthy of being bought.

Won't happen. According to the e-mail (O.K. so a Mag employee found a time machine; it happens) I received asking about a possible 1xAA version a year or so ago, they considered Lux I as old technologies and won't be going backwards.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just hoping they don't obsolete all our great mods with a new package that doesn't have any oomph.

As long as the ability to utilize some form of PR-based bulb is there, I'll be happy with it.
If not and they go to a soldered LED/circuit board based light, I'll just stick to my Energizer Hard Case in D-sized offerings full time as a larger light. It's already my vehicle light for the winter because of it's mostly plastic body. That is unless somebody FINALLY starts offering something newer in configurations other than AA and/or CR123. I won't hold my breath.

slvoid

Newly Enlightened
Our company makes window shades. And they're pretty big and large volume shades too. But we're not the most advanced nor do we have the best presentation, but what we have works and works well for what it is and we are one of the very few companies that can deliver extremely high volumes.

I think maglite's kind of like that. They have a well rounded proven platform for a good price. I'm guessing their line of thinking is that they wanted to keep as much of their current tooling as possible while balancing out the performance features. If a region requests 100,000 lights from surefire, they might be able to deliver it. But if it's for 10,000,000, I'll trust maglite more to deliver on time and in stock.

Besides, how special would our lights like the novatac's be if they were offered for $24.99 and everyone and their mother had one?

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I for one, hope they continue to make the time tested incan version. WHAT?... Think about it. If they change the design radically, what would would we use for mod hosts?

KingGlamis

Banned
I for one, hope they continue to make the time tested incan version. WHAT?... Think about it. If they change the design radically, what would would we use for mod hosts?

I'm sure they will for a long time to come. It's their main source of $$$.

Taboot

Enlightened
As other people have said, Maglite hasn't really had a need to innovate, I would bet that at least 25% of US households have a maglite somewhere. Most cops have one or two, either has a primary duty light or a backup that gets buried in the gear bag.

Mr. Smith doesn't know too much about flashlights, but he wants to take his kids camping. So he goes to Walmart or Target and looks at the flashlight selection. He's never heard of a Brinkmann and such. LED, watts, lumens, candlepower, ect mean nothing to him. So he grabs a maglite because it is the only light he's heard of. I think maglite will be selling their original light for many years to come.

That being said, a cool powerful LED would be nice. I hope that is what mag is planning

well said. I was Mr. Smith once. The 6D MAGLite was the pinnacle of flashlights...

The new MAGLite should be an 8D ! I'd probably buy one:p

wildta

Newly Enlightened
This is a little off topic but I thought I would get a good answer from this thread. I have an old 3D maglite that I would like to upgrade to LED with a drop-in LED. Where would you recommend I purchase a drop-in bulb that is both cheap and has a decent throw/brightness? Please let me know. Thansk in advance!