MagLite upgraded to a Rebel!! (pics in post 34)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, Mags are the perfect loaner/emergency light when getting involved with non-flashaholics. You don't have to explain them, no caveats about rechargeable batteries, heat etc. They take garden variety D cells and can easily be reloaded by anyone. They are tough and are the very definition of a knock about beater light. And, the rebel versions are actually decent output, reliable lights that will get real world jobs done.

I'm not a massive Mag fan vs the zillions of other lights I have, but I appreciate them for what they are. If 100s of rescue workers were about to wade into a disaster area at a moment's notice, Mag D rebels are what I'd want them equipped with.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, Mags are the perfect loaner/emergency light when getting involved with non-flashaholics. You don't have to explain them, no caveats about rechargeable batteries, heat etc. They take garden variety D cells and can easily be reloaded by anyone. They are tough and are the very definition of a knock about beater light. And, the rebel versions are actually decent output, reliable lights that will get real world jobs done.

I'm not a massive Mag fan vs the zillions of other lights I have, but I appreciate them for what they are. If 100s of rescue workers were about to wade into a disaster area at a moment's notice, Mag D rebels are what I'd want them equipped with.

+1 I've owned, and I have known a lot of people that have owned Mags, and I can attest to their toughness. LEDs have solved the biggest weakness Mag incans have...you can drop them even while turned on and they will easily survive. I've lost more Mags due to leaky alkaline batteries, than from damage...in fact, I've never had a Mag fail from being dropped, or used as a hammer, etc, other than incan bulbs of course.

ncka

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about the double post but I just realized something. On the Luxeon Rebel web page the only 060 it list is under the warm white emitters. It puts out 60 lumens at 350ma. The 090 puts out 90 lumens at 350ma. To me this is a win-win situation. If its a 090 we get a pretty efficient emitter. If its an 060 we get a warm incandescent like light. Scroll down to products on the Lux rebel web page and click on cool,neutral,and then warm. You will see what I'm talking about. The old Lux 3 that the mag drop in use to use is rated at 60 lumens @700 ma.

Mag only uses the Rebel 90 emitter in their Mini Mag LED.

ronkar

Newly Enlightened
Got one. Lowes has plenty of the 2D's in several colors, but could not find a single AA. They do not have general internet in the store, only their own website, so even customer service could not help me. :(

Maybe tomorrow? :confused:

They seemed to be rolling more things out even at noon time.

Probedude

Enlightened
Got one. Lowes has plenty of the 2D's in several colors, but could not find a single AA. They do not have general internet in the store, only their own website, so even customer service could not help me. :(

Maybe tomorrow? :confused:

They seemed to be rolling more things out even at noon time.

They had a lot at my store (Ventura, CA). There was an area in front of the cash registers with 2D's and 2-AA's.

The AA is impressive, 4 mode operation too.

DigMe

Enlightened
I thought the flier said they would also have the 3Ds at $15 too. Did anyone see those for that price? I'm looking to replace the incandescent club that has resided in my car for the past 10 years or so. I was planning on heading into town tonight to pick one up.

FYI: if your Lowe's is out then just take the printed ad to Wal-mart and they will price match any ad.

Probedude

Enlightened
I thought the flier said they would also have the 3Ds at $15 too.

It does, but the location they had them in my store only had 2D ones.
I used to have a 5D incandescent Mag and it was too unwieldly for certain applications. Buying a ton of D cells sucked too so this time I went for the 2D and didn't bother looking for the 3D ones.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I got the 3D Rebel LED Mag and the 2XAA Rebel muti mode mag at Lowes. 14.99 and 10.99 was darn cheap. I have a 2C that has the older LED and the Rebel sure seems like an upgrade to me. Was brighter to my eye. Also the tint was ok too. Going to toss the 2xAA into the truck. I liked the candle option shown for the 2XAA. Looked cool.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm about $35 short of buying insurance for my truck.

So last years 2D Rebel (or maybe I paid full price earlier this year) is just gonna have to do.

Being out of work SUCKS this time of year!

edit: BTW my 2D has an 060 Rebel. If new ones have 090 I'm sad.

sabre7

Enlightened
I'm about $35 short of buying insurance for my truck.

So last years 2D Rebel (or maybe I paid full price earlier this year) is just gonna have to do.

Being out of work SUCKS this time of year!

edit: BTW my 2D has an 060 Rebel. If new ones have 090 I'm sad.

Sorry about you being out of work, I know that doesn't help much. :( Isn't 090 the same as 060? Maybe you are just looking at it upside down, hope that helps cheer you up!!

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 2D Rebel MagLEd today. Compared to my 2D MagLite with the older Luxeon LED module that has been upgraded with a Seoul P4 U-bin, it is roughly the same, output wise doing a bounce test off of my ceiling. The Rebel had a slight edge from what I could see. The P4 that I had used was slightly dimmer than the other P4s that I had bought from DX but it also had a warmer tint to it. I believe that the output would have been about the same or even giving a slight edge to the P4'd module had I used one of the brighter LEDs instead of that warm one.

I measured the current draw at the tailcap of a stock 2-cell Luxeon MagLED module at 1200mA, my P4'd 2-cell MagLED module drew a little over 1000mA in the same host, and the Rebel MagLED drew 1600mA, all from the same fresh Alkaline D-cells. I wonder how hard that Rebel is being driven?

Burgess

Flashaholic
I measured the current draw at the tailcap of a stock 2-cell Luxeon MagLED module at 1200mA,
my P4'd 2-cell MagLED module drew a little over 1000mA in the same host,
and the Rebel MagLED drew 1600mA, all from the same fresh Alkaline D-cells.

Yikes ! ! ! :eek:

That's a LOT of current from Alkaline D-cells !

Wonder what it is in the 3-cell models ?

Thank you for that detailed report.

:thumbsup:
_

Probedude

Enlightened
I measured the current draw at the tailcap of a stock 2-cell Luxeon MagLED module at 1200mA, my P4'd 2-cell MagLED module drew a little over 1000mA in the same host, and the Rebel MagLED drew 1600mA, all from the same fresh Alkaline D-cells. I wonder how hard that Rebel is being driven?

Wow! That is a lot! Wonder if I should go and return the 2D for the 3D version for longer runtime.

Just did a measurement with my 2D one. With 2 qty NiMH AA's in a D holder off the charger I got the same current draw - 1.6A.

Anyone know what the current draw is for the incandescent 2D Maglite?

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
.8A for the incan, regardless of cell number. My rebel draws 1.4A. This is why I have wanted to see a runtime plot for this light on alks.

Hmm this is a bit disappointing, I thought the LED Maglites would have longer runtimes than the incandescent ones. Does this mean the runtimes will be shorter?