Maglite vs Surefire Shootout in the Rain.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Tonight a thunderboomer snuck up on me, and was flashing and crashing outside before I knew it. So I took the opportunity to play, ahem, test out some flashlights! The two players, ahem, I mean, test subjects, were my newly acquired 3xD Maglight ML300LX and my Surefire P3X Fury Tactical. I wanted to see how their beams compared cutting through rain. :touche:Well the rain was coming down very heavy, and the 3xD ML300LX was up first. I focused the beam, and the light stabbed through the rain and the darkness with no problem at all, and I could see very clearly. Next up was the P3X Fury Tactical, which at 1,000 lumens, had much greater horsepower than the 625 lumens rated ML300LX. Switch on! The 1,000 lumens blasted out into the rain and darkness, but, hey! Something isn't quite right here! The light was floodier than the Mag, and the light reflected back off the rain drops like a car's high beam headlights in a heavy rain! All those extra lumens were not helping due to the beam spread. Well the ML300LX won this round, but I have a feeling that there will be another rematch, and soon. :) Maybe next time I'll have the presence of mind to take some beamshots! :duh2: :banghead:

No batteries were harmed in this test, although some may have been weakened through normal use.

Last edited:

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
As a firefighter I've experienced this many times in smoke. Very tight throw beams or you blind yourself. You don't need a ton of output. Just the right beam for the job. Too Floody or too much just makes everything worse.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cool thread supernova.

At my work I'm on a night shift near a lake on a very humid night.

At my disposal are several flashlights, up to 2000+ lumens.
Yet the 2 that are the best for seeing any discernable distance are the lowest output ones with pencil beams. And the clear winner is lowly 177 lumen Mag running on eneloops.

After 1am I shut off lighting and watched mother natures short lived pencil beams (known as a meteor shower) streak across the sky.

But the Maglite is hard to beat in all kinds of conditions.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
As vadimax was saying, blue light scatters in the rain much more than yellow light. So save the bright cool lights for a clear day. Want to prove it? Try using an amber light, cuts right through.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Floodier lights are not the best in rain, snow and mist. One of the reasons why I pack a flashlight along with a headlamp in the woods. Headlamps are even worse and more so given the beams tend to have more flood. Also this is not a SF vs M@g thing rather a comparison of performance between two gear items within the context of specific conditions IMHO.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is not a SF vs M@g thing rather a comparison of performance between two gear items within the context of specific conditions IMHO.
I think the comparison is fair. And is in many ways what sums up the difference between Mag and Surefire.

Most Surefire lights are smaller, good output and thus floodier.

Most Mags (as in all of their full size and mid size range) are physically bigger, but with bigger reflectors, moderate output and much more throwy,

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Floodier lights are not the best in rain, snow and mist. One of the reasons why I pack a flashlight along with a headlamp in the woods. Headlamps are even worse and more so given the beams tend to have more flood. Also this is not a SF vs M@g thing rather a comparison of performance between two gear items within the context of specific conditions IMHO.

The Maglite vs Surefire in the title was not intended to represent the companies, but rather to pique interest in the thread. The two lights in the test are of those brands, and no attempt was made to claim that their performance in this informal test were representative of their entire product line, or that one was superior to the other. As you said, "...a comparison of performance between two gear items within the context of specific condition..." The results are a personal opinion only, and worth exactly what you paid for them. No purchase decision should be made based on this test, in all cases do your own testing and research, and let the buyer beware.

I didn't realize I needed to post disclaimers in anecdotal threads... :sigh:

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
GSN; Great post. You prove that there is no one flashlight for ALL jobs, including EDC.
One has to think about where and when they will be using the light. Then, brightness, lamp color, size ,battery and cost (among other factors).
That's why I carry at least 2 lights and in my vehicle I have 3 or more. I also carry more then 1 hammer when I do construction.
Otherwise you will have to compromise.

Lateck,

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
GSN; Great post. You prove that there is no one flashlight for ALL jobs, including EDC.
One has to think about where and when they will be using the light. Then, brightness, lamp color, size ,battery and cost (among other factors).
That's why I carry at least 2 lights and in my vehicle I have 3 or more. I also carry more then 1 hammer when I do construction.
Otherwise you will have to compromise.

Lateck,

Thanks, Lateck.

Yes, sometimes there just is no substitute for the right tool. Probably 99.999% of the general public don't realize that pertains to flashlights. I guess I've become a bit of a flashlight snob, looking down my nose at the general populace, but I have come to believe that for any lighting need, there is an ideal flashlight. Some flashlights may do most lighting jobs reasonably well, but there likely is a flashlight in existence that is ideal for each situation. For most of us with limited funds, we invest in the multi-purpose lights and a few inexpensive specialized use lights, while those with less limited budgets can explore the many facets of the craft. Personally, I'd love to have one of those WWII anti-aircraft searchlights! :drool:Alas, I'd have to win the Powerball to afford one of those! :laughing: :broke: Fortunately, I can live vicariously through the members of CPF, and enjoy their stories and photos. :twothumbs

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure you want one of these?

757181.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Maglite vs Surefire in the title was not intended to represent the companies, but rather to pique interest in the thread. The two lights in the test are of those brands, and no attempt was made to claim that their performance in this informal test were representative of their entire product line, or that one was superior to the other. As you said, "...a comparison of performance between two gear items within the context of specific condition..." The results are a personal opinion only, and worth exactly what you paid for them. No purchase decision should be made based on this test, in all cases do your own testing and research, and let the buyer beware.

No disclaimer needed.

One of the reasons Mags are still so popular is the choice between throw or flood.
Another reason is you can get a flashlight that will last 25+ years for not a lot of dough.
99.99% of the masses never notice the stuff we get all worked up about, like Mag artifacts.

Maybe if you have an extra $9 next time you go to Wally World then get ya an incan mini mag for trying in the next frog strangler. You'll see quite a lot flood or throw.

Woods Walker

Naw. No need for a disclaimer. LOL. I get it brother. Also there was more to my post than just that as I did address the actual issue.

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
No disclaimer needed.

One of the reasons Mags are still so popular is the choice between throw or flood.
Another reason is you can get a flashlight that will last 25+ years for not a lot of dough.
99.99% of the masses never notice the stuff we get all worked up about, like Mag artifacts.

Maybe if you have an extra $9 next time you go to Wally World then get ya an incan mini mag for trying in the next frog strangler. You'll see quite a lot flood or throw.

I have several, but I've put NiteIze three LED conversions in them, and I'm not sure where the incan guts are! Funny thing, when I did the test, I had my new 97 lumens LED Mini Mag on me, and didn't even think to try it! :duh2: :banghead:

Woods Walker

I think the comparison is fair. And is in many ways what sums up the difference between Mag and Surefire.

Most Surefire lights are smaller, good output and thus floodier.

Most Mags (as in all of their full size and mid size range) are physically bigger, but with bigger reflectors, moderate output and much more throwy,

All is fair. SF also has lights with more throw for those who want that however dang if I can aford them. The throw on a C or D cell m@g is impressive and more so given the newer LEDs. Fog is also hard on flood lights.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I always thought that it would be neat to see an led maglite with a warm / amber led pumping out 200 ish lumens in a pencil beam. Myself personally I really only have floody lights and I do not have anything with a range past a few hundred feet.

Flashlights in the fog is a particular interes to me because the place I live tends to get very thick fog in the winter that lasts for days at a time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I always thought that it would be neat to see an led maglite with a warm / amber led pumping out 200 ish lumens in a pencil beam. Myself personally I really only have floody lights and I do not have anything with a range past a few hundred feet.

Flashlights in the fog is a particular interes to me because the place I live tends to get very thick fog in the winter that lasts for days at a time.

Here ya go Tre

Top is an ML25 LED using eneloops
Bottom an ML25 incan running 18500's and a 4cell Magstar bulb

Perhaps further throw...

Or the 1000 lumen Mag 2C incan

Last edited: