Maglite vs Surefire Shootout in the Rain.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
Thanks, I still think that maglite is pretty good for general users.
I was at a campout and I gave some dc fix to a guy who was still using an incandescent mini-maglite. I used to be all about output but I have realized that CRI and warm tints in moderate and lower brightness is better in the dark.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was at a campout and I gave some dc fix to a guy who was still using an incandescent mini-maglite. I used to be all about output but I have realized that CRI and warm tints in moderate and lower brightness is better in the dark.

I find ironic that hot-wired incan light fans search for the whitest beam possible while the LED fan is going for closer to incan look in the beam.

Before the LED took over folks were all about "how white" their super light beam was.
Now these days it's "how not white" their super beam LED light is....

Funny how things work sometimes.
But yeah as experience is gained we all tend to navigate to the more appealing tints and outputs.
Hence the Archimedes graph.
Look at his sig sometime to see what I mean. History indicates the more members post the less output they prefer.

Very few 1st posts start with "I want a dimmer flashlight" lol

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I still have some hot wire m@gs. I rarely take them camping due to weight and battery usage but might during my next truck camping adventure. The other day in a rage I beat a D cell LED on the work bench. No problems. I am going to scrounge all the incans up to get them running. Some have broken bulbs etc.

edit.

leaky alkaline AAs killed one of the incans. LOL!

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find ironic that hot-wired incan light fans search for the whitest beam possible while the LED fan is going for closer to incan look in the beam.

Before the LED took over folks were all about "how white" their super light beam was.
Now these days it's "how not white" their super beam LED light is....

Funny how things work sometimes.
But yeah as experience is gained we all tend to navigate to the more appealing tints and outputs.
Hence the Archimedes graph.
Look at his sig sometime to see what I mean. History indicates the more members post the less output they prefer.

Very few 1st posts start with "I want a dimmer flashlight" lol

This is reasonable. People get impressed by the WOW effect of super bright beam, but the time passes and they notice that in everyday applications excessively bright light does nothing but blinds themselves with reflections :) And human eye doesn't feel so good looking at things lit with a "nuclear blast" :)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Can anyone answer my question? I'd really like to know.:anyone:

Probably not. I must have trail ran and hiked 1000 miles at night in the last year or so. People are probably going to get all crabby over this but despite the pleasing look of NW and Warm in fog and snow I lived just fine with CW as well. I didn't break my leg cuz of tint preference. Odds are you will just reduce the output for no good reason. Only had one 5mm amber light and despised the color. Naturally this is subjective and all of that said I was packing a NW light during tonight's trail run. Was being chased by a nasty thunder storm. The lightning seemed cool white tint. LOL!

Floody Cool White M61LL/SF G2Z in the mist I used it to run with.

Armytek NW Predator. This is a throw light being used in very very heavy rain.

IMHO beam profile and output range gives the Pediitor the advantage in this situation more so than the warmish NW tint. That said I ran a good number of mile with that M61LL CW and it worked better than a headlamp.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone answer my question? I'd really like to know.:anyone:

I put some "daylight to tungsten" photography lighting filter in some of my lights. It works to shift cool tint towards neutral or warm but is not as good as a true neutral or warm led IMO.I don't think that it affects output as much as a regular amber filter would.Haven't had a chance to test them in rain yet and it probably needs to be done away from city anyway.To do a good test it would require 3 or 4 of the same model lights with several different filters to see what happens.With our lack of rain I probably won't get an opportunity but someone in a rural area with more frequent showers could probably do a good comparison.Any test would be subject to the user's perception so realistically it should involve several people as well.

Last edited:

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Probably not. I must have trail ran and hiked 1000 miles at night in the last year or so. People are probably going to get all crabby over this but despite the pleasing look of NW and Warm in fog and snow I lived just fine with CW as well. I didn't break my leg cuz of tint preference. Odds are you will just reduce the output for no good reason. Only had one 5mm amber light and despised the color. Naturally this is subjective and all of that said I was packing a NW light during tonight's trail run. Was being chased by a nasty thunder storm. The lightning seemed cool white tint. LOL!

Floody Cool White M61LL/SF G2Z in the mist I used it to run with.

Armytek NW Predator. This is a throw light being used in very very heavy rain.

IMHO beam profile and output range gives the Pediitor the advantage in this situation more so than the warmish NW tint. That said I ran a good number of mile with that M61LL CW and it worked better than a headlamp.

Woods_Walker, thank you for your reply. The beam shots are very revealing. The Predator's beam is much more transparent looking--I'd take it over the cool white beam any night. Hmmmm, that gives me an idea for some old car headlights... :)

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
I put some "daylight to tungsten" photography lighting filter in some of my lights. It works to shift cool tint towards neutral or warm but is not as good as a true neutral or warm led IMO.I don't think that it affects output as much as a regular amber filter would.Haven't had a chance to test them in rain yet and it probably needs to be done away from city anyway.To do a good test it would require 3 or 4 of the same model lights with several different filters to see what happens.With our lack of rain I probably won't get an opportunity but someone in a rural area with more frequent showers could probably do a good comparison.Any test would be subject to the user's perception so realistically it should involve several people as well.

ZMZ67, thanks for your thoughts on the subject. Sounds like a good experiment for someone!

Latest posts