Maglite warranty

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
LiftdT4R, I couldn't agree with you more. I own dozens of maglites and never had one fail even after serious abuse. I've also been lucky and never had an alkaleak. Currently all of my company vehicles have 3D Led models with original alkaline batteries since 2013. Over 4 years in the north east with of hot summers and cold winters and the original batteries are still going strong. I think I paid $20 per 3D Led on sale. I should change out the batteries but I've already gotten my ROI.

I always thought of Maglites as the Toyota Pickup of flashlights. Are there fancier, bigger, faster trucks out there? Sure. But there's a reason why you see Toyota used in the harshest places around the world. The big draw for Maglites to me is the long run time when I'm working at night and the availability of D batteries at every convenience store. You'd be hard pressed to find as reliable of a flashlight with such a long run time on alkalines. A little off topic but if you've ever seen Top Gear's attempt to kill a Toyota Hilux, it's well worth a watch. I'd imagine you could do the same to a Maglite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

@LiftdT4R:

Great Blog, especially the maglite service kit. When I was learning how to mod maglites, I thought about buying one, but eventually let it lapse. It's nice to find out the detailed component list and the see the older spanner tool vs. new, although given the cost, I can see why they discontinued the aluminum tool.

I bookmarked and will be going back to read it in more detail.

Thank you

David

Thanks for the kind words! There are several service kits for the new style lights being sold on everyone's favorite auction site. Since the service centers closed in 2015 it seems like a lot of folks are liquidating their parts. Fortunately or unfortunately the parts aren't worth a ton of money both because the lights are so reliable and so inexpensive now.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I've been using Maglites since they first came out, as my Dad got two of them as safety awards from where he worked. I otherwise wouldn't have had the cash as a teenager to buy one, but Dad knew I was a flashlight geek, and gave me the early 3D, and either a 6 or 7D – unfortunately both long gone.

I've had many since then, and never really had a failure that wasn't my own fault. I've ruined 4 or 5 by leaving batteries in too long, had two stolen, and been careless, lost several.

LiftdT4R : Yes, great blog. I've read about 2/3 of it so far, and learned much that I never knew. Very well done.

So I mostly use my modern Fenixes and Malkoffs for looking at Real Estate these days, and household use, but I still like and keep my old Mags, and have a 3D with wristloop in both trucks. They're always dependable as a backup, and for those times when you feel like having a big piece of metal at hand, it slides right in the back pocket (and front pocket on pants like Dockers), and blends right in with the tape measure on the belt, practically anywhere you go.

Long live the Maglite.

JT

horizonseeker

Enlightened
all 7 maglites that I have now are no longer the old incan originals. 1 is the new 3D LED (had to check to see what it's like), 6 have been modded (1 with P4, 2 with Malkoff, 1 with tri-bore for 12AA with AW switch, 1 with 9AA fivemega and G4 socket, 1 with G6.5 socket driving 4 32650 with an extension).

Maglites' best attribute is probably the modding components still out there. With 1 x 18650 driving 1000+ lumen out there, even the modded Maglites are losing ground I think , but it is still fun to play with the hosts.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
That's interesting, horizonseeker. I came a bit late to the flashlight game, so I haven't had the chance to handle one of the modded Mags, but am considering hopping one of mine up. My factory LED 3D lights actually do surprisingly well in the throw dept. when focused in.

I currently have three 3D Led, and two 2D incan., and will likely be picking up some of the larger sizes soon, just for the heck of it. After the holidays, I'll probably ask you guys to help suggest the best candidate and battery configuration for a nice mod. I'm considering a Malkoff conversion, since I have Gene's lights and like them. I'm not sure yet whether to do it with one of my 2Ds to keep it small, or go larger, or even a C sized Mag.

JT

horizonseeker

Enlightened
The C sized would be interesting. I didn't get one of those even though I live 15 min away from Maglite HQ in Ontario because they "ran out of stock" when I went there to buy one directly from the warranty desk...never thought that would happen...

the new LED Mags are actually not bad, only thing I don't like is the electronic switch that I feel is a bit finicky, otherwise they measure up very well with the popular mods (not the extreme ones).

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on mini mag after using awhile: The only thing is they (mag service center) chased the threads on the perfect head (good, tight and stable)--told them to leave it alone.
Now it is a little wigley--teflon tape time. Now I have a tts 100 lumen led in it and I like it. It has a decent hotspot as long as the head is straight.
Also, the head now scratches the body when turned but, I think the teflon tape will fix those two problems also. They did me alright. Decent led and a little better burn time than original bulb.

Edit: I now don't think they chased the threads, but put a thinner and less beefy new o-ring on it. I think the newer type causes it to be easier to turn on and off with one hand. I'd rather have the head a little tighter and smoother myself as it seems to make it focus better from what I remember, but its been a long time since I've seen the original beam pattern.

Last edited: