Maglite XL200

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
Not going to go too off topic, but the Mini Maglite Pro is still a little ways off, and ANSI results show 200+ lumens.
Yikes if they have that many lumens I may buy more than a few , I can retire my Minimag 3AA thats been run over by a forklift and a loaded 18 wheeler , it still works but its bent .

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, customer service is usually not up-to-date on the latest information.

NOt up to date would be if it were already in-store & they didn't know it yet, but they are actually ahead of date by telling me it's in-store before it really is. Mag-Lite is providing customer service... from the future!

ryguy24k said:
sounds like a great little light. I might get one if it was AA

Now THAT (edit: along with the led solitaire) is way too good an idea to ever happen.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
And customer service isn't their only department with a time machine either, because someone from marketing retrieved this flyer... from the future!

jpv5oj.jpg

Last edited:

NWLumenoob

Newly Enlightened
Soooo back to the XL200 - my understanding is that it doesn't have a 'low mode' per se but that you can adjust the brightness of it's normal mode to whatever you want? (I'm not talking about night light mode where it shuts off after a while.)

Thanks! Glad to hear you like yours!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, XL200's normal mode can be adjusted down to 8%.

And customer service isn't their only department with a time machine either, because someone from marketing retrieved this flyer... from the future!
I got the flyer from them earlier this year when the Mini Maglite Pro was till undergoing ANSI testing. It was originally supposed to be similar in brightness to the XL200, but it ended up being more, and the latest round of delays is supposed to be related to battery life.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Thanks for another nice review, Robin24k.

Very interesting light with an amazing UI. A little too big for EDC for me, but I'll probably get one anyway.

My favorite features are the memory and the lockout - just an outstanding design.

Maybe I missed it, but don't see in your review - how low will this light go?

Who would have believed just a few years back that Mag would be releasing a light as advanced as this?

Unfortunately, there are those on CPF who just won't give Mag a break no matter what.

Doesn't matter what models Mag releases, now or in the future.

Doesn't matter how good a warranty Mag offers.

Doesn't matter that you can walk in and buy one off the shelf, all across the USA.

Unfortunately, Mag Derangement Syndrome seems rather common on CPF. ;>

Well, I am on CPF, and have a ton of custom (From most of the CPF Sub Forum makers), semi custom, and top notch production lights (That I told my friends I would not have, and stick to Surefire's, no custom lights -like my gun and custom knife collections), and I still have my old 3D blue ano Mag that I bought at a truck stop in Indio, California in 1983, another D cell from 1978, when I was a FF with the CDF, many Mini Mag Lights, well, all around the house, studio, and truck, all diffused with gel, and I still love them.

For me the Mag lights were the first quality lights I had - until Surefire came to life in the late 80's. At that point, I did make the SF's my flagship lights, however my Mag's were still in use because, I could dim them with gel - the 6P was too bright for the inside of a vehicle. The L1 changed that with lower levels.

So, after all those years, I still have Mag's in use along side my customs, and I have a blue XL-100 in my shaving kit for travel. The XL-100 is a perfect hotel light.

It is nice to know that while traveling, if say, the TSA took my lights, or something - I could just go to any Mega-Lo Mart, and get a Temp. replacement EDC for the trip.

I like the unique UI, and the fact Mag Lights are made here in California! (Surefire is too)!

So even though I have all the-up-to-date-state-of the-art lights, Mag's still remain a part of my flashlight inventory. Really, for the money, you Can't go wrong.

Carry on,

Best wishes,

RL

Really, All I really need is a quality production light, SAK, Leatherman tool, a Spyderco, and a Glock. All stock out of the box, no modifications.

Last edited:

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd share...

img1710hm.jpg

img1713b.jpg

img1714c.jpg

Measured 35% brighter than my XL100 in my yet uncalibrated sphere. QC needs some help as the plastic lens on mine is loose :thumbsdow. I'm too lazy to return it, so I'll just leave it on signal and let my cats play with it.

-DF

uknewbie

Banned
When people ask me to recommend a good light, generally I'm not going to tell them to order something on the internet. Especially not a light that uses CR123 cells.

I tell them to go to Lowes and grab a Mag 2D or XL50.

The internet exists worldwide, not just in the USA.

Lowes do not exist in the UK or much of Europe. Maglite being in every store is not so common in other parts of the world too.

There are over 500 million people just in the EU who your answers would probably not help in that case.

cccpull

Enlightened
The internet exists worldwide, not just in the USA.

Lowes do not exist in the UK or much of Europe. Maglite being in every store is not so common in other parts of the world too.

There are over 500 million people just in the EU who your answers would probably not help in that case.

Heartbreaking!:mecry:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the first 3xAAA lights that has interested me (ignoring the one with a laser that I bought as a cat toy). I thought the XL100 UI sounded too involved and the XL50 was just the same UI as the new minimags, but with a clicky rather than a twisty.

The XL200 can function as an easily programmable one-mode light, but if you want the other features, then you can access them via multiple clicks. This sounds like a workable compromise to me.

I don't know that I'll get one, but I am a bit tempted.

--flatline

Kmdo

Newly Enlightened
Just got one yesterday and like it a lot. Similar output to my quark aa2 tactical, but it won't throw nearly as far as my pelican 70 and 8060s. Didn't compare it to my surefires. Brighter than all 4 or my various older maglights (d cell), dont own a newer dedicated led version. The quark is a bit brIghter and more flood but longer ranges seems the mag has it as the beam is more concentrated. I'll likely store this light in a bag or vehicle with some energizer lithiums. Looking fwd to new mini mag. I'm quite happy living in the US with my arsenal of weapons that the EU would never allow.:grin2:

Jakpro

Newly Enlightened
You can't beat $22 for this light. thanks

The photo is for the XL50, though. The description is for the XL200-I wonder which one will ship?

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
got one on ebay for $40, good light, i like it, the only problem, is that there was lots of dust on the reflector, and inside the lens, used vaccum cleaner to remove large particles, small ones are still there, but it doesn't affect performance, imo,

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't beat $22 for this light. thanks

The photo is for the XL50, though. The description is for the XL200-I wonder which one will ship?
Regular price of $29.99 should be for XL50. XL50 has a regular price of $59.99 on their site, so it looks like they mixed up the two.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
First time poster here. Thanks to everyone for an informative site.

Received my XL200 (gray) from WCoyote/Amazon today. Shipped fast, good service. Just playing around with it, getting used to the user interface. Offhand, I think the NiteLite mode is going to get a lot of use. There are so many little tasks, like hooking up a computer or an audio/video system or checking the oil in a car, where I am constanty picking up and putting down a flashlight to read labels or see a connector or read a dipstick even though there's enough light in the room for general purposes. To have the light automatically turn on when I pick it up and (more or less) off when I put it down is fantastic. Not to mention, ideal for tent camping or as the default mode sitting around during a power failure.

On the hotly debated AAA issue, it was a plus benefit for me. I've already got a Maha 8-slot AA/AAA charger and a pile of AA and AAA batteries. With a Petzl headlamp that takes three AAAs, having a flashlight that also takes AAA actually makes battery management easier. 12 batteries gives me four sets of 3 batteries, one set in each light and a charged back up set for each light. I'll just keep two sets of three batteries in an 8-battery Thomas Distributing plastic case and those will be the AAA flashlight batteries.

-------------------------------

I've also got a Mini Mag AA LED on the way (made more sense to buy a new one that a retrofit for almost the same money. That will become my new glovebox light in the car. And a Fenix E05 for the keychain, which looks like a cute little devil.