Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight Review

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the XL-50 tail switch provide a momentary feature when partially depressed? If so, does the momentary action turn on the light at the brightest level?

Thanks.

made in china

Newly Enlightened
Like others have said, not very thrilled about the 3 aaa aspect, but there are some upsides for me:

-The light is rated for 8+ hours on high, not bad from 3 aaa. Me personally I wouldn't be changing batteries often.

-In a emergency event, AA and D batteries are hard to find. Happened to us here a few years ago, big weather event, power outages, iced over roads. AAA and C cells were still available.

-My work provides all the free batteries I can use if I am using this light at work.

I really prefer buying US made products. I have a huge political agenda going on, and I am very happy to see Inova and Maglite so well represented on the shelves of brick and mortar stores.
I was hesitant about the XL100, I knew a part of that $42 price tag here was for the motion sensor. If the XL50 comes in at $25 or less, well that's a great deal at 104 lumens.

Batteries are a issue on many types of lights, so it isn't fair to dismiss the XL50 solely on battery selection. Is it ideal? no. But then again I won't buy any flashlight that runs on CR123 or anything else "exotic" (yeah I know around here there's no such thing as an exotic battery, but I like to keep to the traditional battery forms)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry to say, but Inova was purchased by Nite-Ize.

Nowadays, you can get CR123 cells from any big-name pharmacy. Not cheap, but widely available.

DaveG

Enlightened
I like the switch adjustment on this one over the motion one on the 100 model also.Looking forward to checking this one out.

Chicago X

Enlightened
Can the tailcaps be switched from the XL100 to the XL50? Any functions lost?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup...although not sure why you would want to do that since the rest of the light is identical, and you can't purchase XL50 tailcaps seperately... :crazy:

ama230

Enlightened
I dont like the 3x AAA format but the light is perfect in size and works very well. I had dropped my xl100 when i first got it and broke the accelerometer. The light would still work but just on and off and in the last mode i had adjusted it to before dropping it.

The xl50 should be another bullet proof light that will just work when needed. I love my maglites and the warranty and service is what keeps my service. When I have had a problem, it had always been replaced and was prompt.

The three modes is just about right with UI and if the tailcap switch is smooth when i get mine in, ill be blown away as its very hard to find a smooth clicky.

Ill report back when i get mine as it should be anytime this week.

Thanks for the awesome review robin as you always keep us nerds informed!!!:thumbsup:

lovecpf

Last edited by a moderator:

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I haven't set eyes on either this or a XL100 other than via this forum.

The XL100 appeared to be ridiculously complicated, it's a wonder it didn't include a Micro USB to allow Firmware updates. Possibly the only Maglite I will never own...!

Apart from the dubious 3 x AAA Battery choice, the XL50 appears to be a much more practical solution and could allow me to have an economical 'pocket rocket'

So with this Mag are back on the right road.

Roll on MagCharger LED:):):)

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yikes, add shipping, and it comes it to be quite expensive there, even with the coupon code. I think I'll wait for it to arrive at Target or Home Depot...

Glad you enjoyed the review. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I haven't set eyes on either this or a XL100 other than via this forum.

****'s Sporting Goods carries the XL100. The one out by me is currently out of stock. They have a habit of marking nearly everything just a bit above retail. (At least that's how it seems to me.) When it first came out, I considered buying an XL100. I try to order items off the internet as little as possible, and I wasn't about to pay above retail for one.

The lack of both a clip and a lanyard attachment really killed it for me though.

Chicago X

Enlightened
Yup...although not sure why you would want to do that since the rest of the light is identical, and you can't purchase XL50 tailcaps seperately... :crazy:

This light makes a nice 'parts' light for my XL100. :thumbsup:

zane2002

Newly Enlightened
I love this site!!! I didn't even know this came out. I have been too busy looking at Fenix, Quark, SF, etc that I forgot about Maglite. I have converted my trusty magmini's to LED and love em. Are they my favorite, probably not but I still keep them around and love the fact that they take AA batteries since my other ones use 123's