Maglite XL50 LED Flashlight Review

Ken_B

Newly Enlightened
This is an awesome light. Just got one (for $30 at Home Depot) to stand in for my SF G2 while waiting for a bulb replacement. The XL50 needs some kind of anti-roll feature, as Robin24k says in the review, and also some way to attach a lanyard/wrist strap.

Ken

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I just bought this light today. Don't know why but still did:)
I bought it just because its the latest Maglite LED offering. Never owned the XL100 or any other Maglite LED before.
Well, I am not particularly impressed by it. Why?
You do get smaller, single cell lights that is more powerfull etc, but I knew that before I bought it.
I compared it to my Olight T15 powered by a 14500. It is brighter than the T15, that while Maglite claims less lumens for the XL50 than Olight claims for its T15... Good for them.
But why advertise it to have a adjustable focus if its worth nothing?? I've seen that the moment you change it to flood you loose some light! I ceiling bounced it, I could clearly see the room getting darker as I changed from spot to flood. The focussing system on my Led Lenser P5 and P14 is working so much better. I did expect more. So I can't see anyone really using this feature. If you want an area light, just ceiling bounce it.

But I'm not knocking down this light completely. At its price, how can you really complain? Its still good value taking into account its warantee etc. But its focussing system? Its a joke. They could have left it out completely...

Also a big reason for me buying it is its runtime. 8 plus hours on high is not bad at all. I get only about an hour on my T15 when using a 14500.
8 times longer for the same voltage and mah, with more bightness...Impressive, don't know how its done, but its impressive.

srfreddy

Enlightened
ut an hour on my T15 when using a 14500.
8 times longer for the same voltage and mah, with more bightness...Impressive, don't know how its done, but its impressive.

I doubt it. ANSI numbers mean that it's gonna have 8 hours to 10% light, and lumens 3 minutes after turnon. I believe that the olights are tested to 50%, and lumens at turn on. If the Mag is brighter at turnon, that probably says that the Mag is losing output fairly quickly.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Doing a runtime test now. 55 minutes past and I can report that is is now putting out less light than what it started at. So their claim of 8 hours....
One thing I've noticed is that this is the first light that dont heat up at all. Its as cold as if it was never turned on.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
With alkaline batteries, output will steadily drop with time. It's a characteristic of the battery and not the light, because alkalines don't maintain voltage well. If you use NiMH, you'll get less initially, but more consistent output.

srfreddy

Enlightened
Doing a runtime test now. 55 minutes past and I can report that is is now putting out less light than what it started at. So their claim of 8 hours....
One thing I've noticed is that this is the first light that dont heat up at all. Its as cold as if it was never turned on.

Thats because the heat transfer is like-wtf? what heat transfer? LED mounted thin metal pill, hollow with electronics inside-not too great for heatsinking.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
With alkaline batteries, output will steadily drop with time. It's a characteristic of the battery and not the light, because alkalines don't maintain voltage well. If you use NiMH, you'll get less initially, but more consistent output.

Yes you are right. I also thought of that. I just thought the times quoted on the package is with the Duracells provided.
I don't own NIMH AAA's yet. This is my first AAA light.
I once read somewhere that AAA Eneloops are not as great in the same way that AA Eneloops are? Is it true? What is the best batteries to get for this light? Or will AAA Eneloops be just fine?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The specs on the package are with the alkalines provided. Alkaline provides a longer runtime than NiMH because they can be drained further, but most of this is "at the tail end", meaning it's low output.

AAA Eneloops/Duraloops are your best bet. You can't compare AAA to AA.

LEDrock

Enlightened
Yes you are right. I also thought of that. I just thought the times quoted on the package is with the Duracells provided.
I don't own NIMH AAA's yet. This is my first AAA light.
I once read somewhere that AAA Eneloops are not as great in the same way that AA Eneloops are? Is it true? What is the best batteries to get for this light? Or will AAA Eneloops be just fine?

How did the rest of your runtime test work out? I'm curious as to how it lasted compared to what the package claims. I'm also thinking of getting my first "non-budget light" and was considering my 'dream light', the Quark 2AA, but am now wondering if the XL50 would do it for me.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Not at all. I'm not a big fan of AAA powered lights anyway, but those that use 3 just seem stupid to me as most AAA batteries are sold in multiples of 4. Having to buy 3 packs of 4 AAAs so as not to have any "left over" is ridiculous.

An adapter, like you said, would make this light ever so much more useful.
Buy a single AAA light :D.

I just got one and also found that taking the head off makes a perfect flood. I think this is pretty good for $30.

Last edited:

KijanOZ

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased one of these XL50's and I have to say, I am more than impressed with it. At only $30, it blew my 4-Cell C Maglite right out of the water - even with the optional 'better' bulb.

I just wanted to point out that the light will automatically drop down to the low-power mode after a few minutes of staying on the high-power mode. I'm sure this is in case it gets turned on accidentally or to preserve the life of the batteries or to preserve the life of the LED. Or all three. :)

I've been playing around with it for about 2 hours, on and off, strobing, testing it against other flashlights, etc., and the Duracell batteries that came with it are now down to 1.35v each. Light still seems as bright as it was initially - perhaps the light requires less than 4.5v to operate. Seems logical?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to point out that the light will automatically drop down to the low-power mode after a few minutes of staying on the high-power mode. I'm sure this is in case it gets turned on accidentally or to preserve the life of the batteries or to preserve the life of the LED. Or all three. :)

I've been playing around with it for about 2 hours, on and off, strobing, testing it against other flashlights, etc., and the Duracell batteries that came with it are now down to 1.35v each. Light still seems as bright as it was initially - perhaps the light requires less than 4.5v to operate. Seems logical?

Sorry, but I doubt the XL50 has circuitry designed to gradually dial down the output.

There are lights available that do that, such as Icon lights, but I'd bet the dimming of output that you see is just due to sagging voltage of the alkaline cells under load.

After being turned off for a while, the alkaline cells 'recover' to some extent, so the next time it's turned on it will look nearly as bright as with fresh cells.

If you use lithium or NiMh rechargable cells, then the decline of output won't be as noticeable.

KijanOZ

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, but I doubt the XL50 has circuitry designed to gradually dial down the output.

There are lights available that do that, such as Icon lights, but I'd bet the dimming of output that you see is just due to sagging voltage of the alkaline cells under load.

After being turned off for a while, the alkaline cells 'recover' to some extent, so the next time it's turned on it will look nearly as bright as with fresh cells.

If you use lithium or NiMh rechargable cells, then the decline of output won't be as noticeable.

That's incorrect. I understand what you're saying, however, all that is required is that you turn the light on and off once and it immediately goes back to just as bright as it was previously. It is, in fact, going down to the lower power mode after an amount of time. If you have one, you should try it! :)

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's incorrect. I understand what you're saying, however, all that is required is that you turn the light on and off once and it immediately goes back to just as bright as it was previously. It is, in fact, going down to the lower power mode after an amount of time. If you have one, you should try it! :)

Maybe you're right, but none of the other reviews I've seen have noted this behavior as a 'feature' of the XL50.

If it turns out that you are correct about this, then I may grab an XL50 the next time I'm at Lowes.

I think that auto-dimming, such as incorporated into the Icon lights, is a really cool design feature.

However, I'm in the minority - most people on CPF hate auto-dimming.

Siggyhk

Newly Enlightened
Mine dims after only about 5 seconds. I have Energizer Lithiums in it.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine definately doesn't do that, although I've never used lithium primaries in it before. Is the light warm when it starts to dim?

Hawkman

Newly Enlightened
Seems like a nice little light, but I think I'm going to wait until I can find them on sale for around $20. :D

Siggyhk

Newly Enlightened
Mine actually dims in more like 1-2 seconds. This occurs from room temperature. It doesn't drop to low, but somewhere between high and low, closer to high.
I read a review somewhere else (don't recall where) and the guy had the same thing happening. He sent his in to Mag for inspection and apparently they said it was fine.

Latest posts