Maha MH-C9000 SUPPORT / FAQ - continuation

gosmond

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies. I ordered an MH-C9000 today and will share my comments & experiences with it after I've had a week or so to test it out.

-Gosmond

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the C9000 detect that a battery is inserted? Mechanically, or by detecting voltage?

Reason I ask is I have some old NiMH C-cells (probably bought from DX - yeah, I know) that I've used in one of the Task Force flashlights, they work fairly well actually. Would like to start using the C9000 to charge them but they won't physically fit. However I don't see why a C-cell battery holder, some wire, and maybe some "dummy cells" made from wooden dowel etc. wouldn't allow the C9000 to charge them. Thoughts?

I may just run to the store and get some appropriately sized dowel and experiment...

Power Me Up

Enlightened
How does the C9000 detect that a battery is inserted? Mechanically, or by detecting voltage?

It will be by voltage.

Reason I ask is I have some old NiMH C-cells (probably bought from DX - yeah, I know) that I've used in one of the Task Force flashlights, they work fairly well actually. Would like to start using the C9000 to charge them but they won't physically fit. However I don't see why a C-cell battery holder, some wire, and maybe some "dummy cells" made from wooden dowel etc. wouldn't allow the C9000 to charge them. Thoughts?

I may just run to the store and get some appropriately sized dowel and experiment...

Yes, it can certainly be done - I've done it myself. I'll give you a link to some pictures of what someone else has done - their setup looks a lot better than mine:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...n-Maha-C9000&p=3287103&viewfull=1#post3287103

Russel

Enlightened
I prefer the updated version:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...n-Maha-C9000&p=3375588&viewfull=1#post3375588

The MH-C9000 detects the presence of a battery by the voltage, then when set to charge, performs an impedance test. If the internal resistance determined by the impedance test is too high, the battery is rejected and the display shows "high" signifying excessively high internal resistance. If you install one battery and set it to charge, then watch closely for the first voltage reading, it will give you what usually appears to be a overly high voltage. You have too watch closely because the voltage reverts back to the actual battery voltage after the first reading. That first reading is the results from the impedance test. 1.5 volts or so is good, 2 or more volts (if I remember correctly) is rejected and "high" is displayed.

Also, (again, if I remember correctly) the maximum charge capacity for the MH-C9000 (current versions) is about 4000 mAh. With the exception of break in mode. The adapters that I made for connecting D cells to a C9000 were for discharge testing and to perform break in. I normally charge D cell NiMH cells in a MH-C808M charger.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice find and thanks for the heads up. Anyone tried them yet?

picrthis

Enlightened
PICRTHIS: thanks for the info on the C9000 adaptor-- ordered a pair
Your very welcome, I never seen anybdoy mention these before.

Nice find and thanks for the heads up. Anyone tried them yet?
Did you see my picture on my actual charger?

Cool! I had to have a pair of those adapters for my D cells.
I don't blame you, they are very nicely made and fit perfectly.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using the C9000, do you charge your high-capacity D cell (8500mah+) 2.5X for it to be 'filled it to the brim', so to speak?

Last edited:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the pic but wasn't sure if that was yours or a stock photo. I'm assuming then since you actually have them that they work well, off to the bay!

picrthis

Enlightened
Using the C9000, do you charge your high-capacity D cell (8500mah+) 2.5X for it to be 'filled it to the brim', so to speak?
I only have used it to test some D cells with it.

I saw the pic but wasn't sure if that was yours or a stock photo. I'm assuming then since you actually have them that they work well, off to the bay!
That's an actual picture of my personal charger and adapters that I put on the couch and took a quick picture of so I could post it here, I thought that was obvious; my bad I guess it wasn't.

Russel

Enlightened

Yes. Technically, it would be three times, assuming the batteries are fully discharged. Break in mode doesn't have that limitation, but isn't the best way to charge the cells on a daily basis.