Maha MH-C9000 SUPPORT / FAQ - continuation

AlphaBetaOmega88

Newly Enlightened
I am guessing that your devices are shutting off before the cells are fully discharged, therefore you're not getting the full 2700 mAh of use out of them.

run a discharge cycle on some cells, the C9000 will cut off at 0.9V and tell you what the capacity of your cells is, that'll let you know which ones are degrading.

Thank you :D

Newguy2012

Enlightened
What capacity should put in the break in mode current capacity or rated battery capacity? I did a break for 1 eneloop at the end it said 18ma. It had 1500+ from refresh and analyze. Did it just kill the battery? Or is that the difference added?

Newguy2012

Enlightened
I had the battery analyzed. Do I use that number or the rated capacity that's print on the battery? What does the end result mean for my battery? It said 18ma. Does that mean the battery is dead?

donn_

Flashaholic
What is it about what I posted that you don't understand? When you run BI, you enter the "RATED" capacity of the cell.

The charger will then proceed to charge the cell at 1/10th the "RATED" capacity for 16 hours.

It makes no difference what your analysis run told you. Run BI at "RATED" capacity.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Newguy2012,

18 mA us a charge rate. If you entered 180 as the capacity the charger would charge at 18 mA during the break in.

If the reading is 18 mAh then that means that you are missing most of the capacity of the cell,

Try running the break in again (using 1800 as the capacity) on that cell and see if the results can be duplicated.

Tom

nimanchev

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I have registered here to follow this magnificent, state of the art thread.I have more than strange experience with thee C-9000, so I would like to share some with you and ask a few questions.I currently own the C-9000, with 0L0EA written on the back of it.
My first two C-9000 chargers had died, when trying to charge cells, that had been discharged to the maximum.I first did some disharge, then rest, then discharged again at 100 ma.Fortunately, this is no longer the case, but I am struggling to ressurect some old cells...I have run over 10 break-ins and there was no capacity increase.
I have 4 X AA from LIDL, TRONIC 2500 mAH.They were charged best at 700 ma, anything else resulted in about 2100 mAH final capacity, while charging at 700 ma did reach the advertised 2500 mAH.They were dirt cheap, something like 4 $ for a pack of 4 cells, and I got two packs.It has been only a year and 3 cells showed HIGH.I then mixed them with healthy batteries in the torch, drained them all, and I was able to squeeze about 2 months more usage, before finally tossing them.Now the rest of them reach about 1800 mAH.
I have Varta LSD Ready 2 use, they are advertised as 2100 mAH and now a couple of years old.They also reach about 1800-1900 mAH, and one of them reaches only 1500 mAH.Since break-in does not help with both Varta and Tronic, could you recommend any solution? C-9000 allows up to 12 cycles.Maybe this is what I should do ?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Since break-in does not help with both Varta and Tronic, could you recommend any solution?...
Especially in the case of the "Tronic" cells, I recommend: Buy better cells. The C9000 does not have some magical ability to make rubbish cells good, no matter how many times you cycle them. Welcome to CPF, BTW :)

PS, Varta LSD aren't too bad, I have 2 dozen of them, but they aren't as good in my experience as eneloops, and if they're only giving 1500 mAh and it doesn't get better after 1 break-in, they won't get better no matter what you do, I'm afraid. Relegate them to TV remote duty or similar.

Last edited:

nimanchev

Newly Enlightened
Thank you ! I think I will continue intensivly using the Tronic cells, until I see HIGH again ( LOL ), it won`t be long.As for the Varta Ready 2 Use, the 1500 mAH cell is at least 3 years old.I have one Kodak Pre-charged sell, and two more Varta Ready 2 Use that I bought recently.I was thinking of buying two more Varta LSD for 6 €, and toss the older Kodak and Varta, but for the price, I can get 4 x Digibuddy LSD from eBay.BTW, I have 4 x AAA LSD 900 mAH from Digibuddy, they measure from 920 to 964 mAH, and I can recommend them over the Imedions - they are on par, but one of the Imedions died in a few months in a Cateye rear tail light.I have seen claims over CPF that Imedions tend to loose their LSD feature in just one year...

nimanchev

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I am about to get both standart and XX Eneloops, and GP Recyko+ AA batteries, so I have to ask a few things about both charging and discharging.I know that the C-9000 applies top-off charge, but I always charge either at 0.5C, or less ( whichever brings the best results ), and after the charger is DONE, I immediately re-insert the batteries and charge them at 200 ma - it always manages to put in from 70 to 120 mAH ! So, is there anything wrong with that, how can I improve my chargins " skills " ?
I discharge the batteries at 0.2 to 0.5 C, and at the end, I always re-insert the batteries and discharge at 100 ma.I have always thought that this avoid any memoery effect...But I have read some people recommending NEVER to discharge completely the battery, as is it unlikely to catch up with the voltage drop.

bluechunks

Newly Enlightened
Also, is the top-off charge is applied during the rest period for Refresh and Analyze mode? I would expect it to since part of the purpose of Refresh and Analyze mode is to check the batteries capacity, and the battery does not reach full capacity without the topoff charge.

Note, I am specifically asking about the reset cycle. The c9000 user manual implies that topoff is applied for Refresh and Analyze mode, but does not state when it is applied (is it applied only after the final charge, or is it applied both during the rest period and after the final charge). Thank you

bluechunks

Newly Enlightened
I ran a test with a new set of 4 Eneloop XX AAA batteries showing 3% higher capacity from break-in mode than from refresh/analyze (for same discharge current) Note sure if the difference is caused by break-in's 16 hour 0.1C charge, or could also be indication that topoff is not applied during refresh/analyze rest period.

• Brand new set of 4 Eneloop XX AAA batteries
  • Ran full break in cycle so batteries achieve peak capacity.
  • Next ran discharge cycle at 200mA. The recorded capacities during the discharge cycle were 948/939/936/968.
  • Next ran Refresh/Analise with discharge=200mA and charge=400mA. The recorded capacities for the refresh/analyze cycle were 919/914/911/941

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bluechunks,

Welcome to CPF.

I don't believe the top off charge is applied during the cycles of Refresh and Analyze. It is applied after a normal charge and it may be applied after the final charge of Refresh and Analyze. It is not done during Break In.

Tom

fridgemagnet

Newly Enlightened
Help please - I did a break in cycle on some fairly new eneloop 3rd gen. AAA's, and they finished at 955 and 932 mAh.
Voltage reading Maha m9000 was 1.52V and 1.53V
Voltage reading on my Tenma multimeter 1.486V 1.491V
I had set the charge current to 300mA for both - did they miss delta V, or was this normal????
- or is my Maha faulty?

Power Me Up

Enlightened
Also, is the top-off charge is applied during the rest period for Refresh and Analyze mode? I would expect it to since part of the purpose of Refresh and Analyze mode is to check the batteries capacity, and the battery does not reach full capacity without the topoff charge.

Note, I am specifically asking about the reset cycle. The c9000 user manual implies that topoff is applied for Refresh and Analyze mode, but does not state when it is applied (is it applied only after the final charge, or is it applied both during the rest period and after the final charge). Thank you

As far as I'm aware, the only time that the C9000 doesn't apply a top off charge is for the break in mode. All other modes have a top off after charging - both during cycling and also for the last charge.

I know I'm contradicting SilverFox with this, so I checked with a couple of C9000 chargers that I have - as far as I could tell, the chargers were making the same PWM chirping noise (indicating that the top off was occurring) after terminating a normal charge and after terminating a charge on either the cycle or R&A mode.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Power Me Up,

Now I am going to have to run some cycles and check this out.

There are 2 issues. One is that I never use the Cycle or Refresh and Analyze functions, and the other is that I am using early versions of the charger (0F and 0G) and Maha may have changed something in later models.

Tom