Maha MH-C9000 SUPPORT / FAQ - continuation

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not necessarily. If you're in your teens then you can expect to hear frequences higher then 16kHz. Even then there is good chance you won't be hearing sounds as high as 20kHz. If you're an adult then hearing a 17kHz or higher is an excellent result. In reality high frequency hearing starts to go down at very early age. In general humans have best high frequency hearing at age of 8. For some reason males suffer more high frequency hear loss then females.

Also there is a possibility that when testing high frequency hearing your system might start anti-aliasing the sound so there is chance that no sound comes out of your system at very high frequencies.

define, "teen". (I'm 18) when the final clock struck and I legally became an adult, did my eardrums relinquish their hold on higher frequencies? :nana:

I ran the test on a few systems and a cowon J3, using Etymotic ER-4Ss. :wave:

Meku

Newly Enlightened
define, "teen". (I'm 18) when the final clock struck and I legally became an adult, did my eardrums relinquish their hold on higher frequencies? :nana:

I ran the test on a few systems and a cowon J3, using Etymotic ER-4Ss. :wave:

:) In scientific studies you are seen as an adult. Regarding the ability to hear high frequencies, your ability to hear them starts to diminish at age of 8. So statistically when you become 18 you should hear sound in 16 kHz range. Therefore your high frequency hearing is at least normal / above average. It is possible that in proper hearing test you could achieve slightly better results (it wouldn't be lower then 17 kHz).

vali

Enlightened
I can hear some whine too, but from the AC adapter and ONLY when there is no cells in the charger itself.

The noise appeared after some months of use.

hagbard

Newly Enlightened
I hear a high pitched buzz too, but it isn't the charger. I have tinnitus and hear it all the time, day and night. Some might be starting to experience that.

bcwang

Enlightened
With iPhone and such there is a "problem" of high frequency anti-aliasing. Set ups like these start to anti-aliase sound somewhere between 20 kHz and 24 kHz. Also you need to have high frequency measurement microphone to monitor high frequencies reliably. High frequency measurement microphones go to very high frequencies such as 150 kHz. Normal recording microphones top out at 20 kHz. After that they are not reliable. Since you managed to record 46db at 21.76khz it would suggest that there is a good chance 0j0ca MH-C9000 makes lot of noise at very high frequencies.

Not quite related, but I just wanted to mention I just measured a new lenovo laptop at work from a foot away and noticed a 21.87 khz sound at 95db! 95db! Those who can hear the new c9000 buzz will be completely driven crazy by what that laptop is outputting. I can't hear the sound, but after being in that room for half an hour, for some reason my ears are aching right now. Don't know if it's phantom or if it really did do something to my ears.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear a high pitched buzz too, but it isn't the charger. I have tinnitus and hear it all the time, day and night. Some might be starting to experience that.
I have it as well; it's really annoying.

Background music as well as the noise from my wife's CPAP machine masks it enough so that I can sleep.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have been using Uniross 2700 mAh cells for a couple of years now. I cycle 8 of them through a GPSr unit that I have and up to recently have been getting fairly decent performance out of them.

Sadly they seem to be dropping off a little and running out very quickly so I decided to look at something to recondition them and the other AA/AAA cells we use for various devices.

This thing looks the bees knees but one feature that didn't show up on any of the blurb was 'ramp up' that the C204W has. This feature I'm assuming is there to blow away 'micro shorts' as one review stated.

Does anybody know if this feature is built into the MHC9000, or is it even valid?

Cheers,

Andy

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I have been using Uniross 2700 mAh cells for a couple of years now. I cycle 8 of them through a GPSr unit that I have and up to recently have been getting fairly decent performance out of them.

Sadly they seem to be dropping off a little and running out very quickly so I decided to look at something to recondition them and the other AA/AAA cells we use for various devices.

This thing looks the bees knees but one feature that didn't show up on any of the blurb was 'ramp up' that the C204W has. This feature I'm assuming is there to blow away 'micro shorts' as one review stated.

Does anybody know if this feature is built into the MHC9000, or is it even valid?

Cheers,

Andy
Hi,

NiMH cells have a finite service life, which for a regular kind of cell in constant use is about two years, give or take. They wear out due to gradual chemical and physical deterioration of the electrode materials and loss of electrolyte. In your case it sounds like your cells might simply be due for replacement. Remember they have already saved you a lot of money over alkaline batteries.

In some cases fading cells can be rejuvenated a bit, and the C9000 can do this, but it can't work miracles. The C9000 is a very good charger, however the best way to use it is to preserve and prolong the life of new cells rather than resurrecting dead ones.

Another good feature of the C9000 is it will tell you the true capacity of your cells. You might find your "2700 mAh" cells are nowhere near in reality, especially after some use. Some lower capacity cells like Eneloops start out with a bit less capacity but hold up for many more charge cycles. This would be a point to keep in mind when shopping for new batteries.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Mr. Happy,

I maybe misunderstood the best way of prolonging the life of the cells. Having 8 and cycling them means they have probably had only about 60 cycles or so each (if that) but yes, they are probably approaching 2 years old.

Sounds like it's best to stick with a smaller number of cells and keep them in constant service then.

Anyway, I'll see what happens with the MH-C9000.

Thanks again,

Andy

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I maybe misunderstood the best way of prolonging the life of the cells. Having 8 and cycling them means they have probably had only about 60 cycles or so each (if that) but yes, they are probably approaching 2 years old.
This is generally fine, but the higher capacity cells like the 2700 mAh ones will sustain fewer cycles before they wear out. The only way to squeeze the higher capacity into those cells is to make the parts thinner, smaller and more fragile so that more can fit into the same volume. A rule of thumb is that 2700 mAh cells will tend to wear out after less than 100 cycles, whereas 2000 mAh cells might last for 200 cycles or more. The latest Eneloops are advertised to last for 1500 cycles, but those are special marketing department cycles and should not be taken as an indication of what you will actually achieve. It will however be way more than 60.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again! :)

Anybody know for sure about that 'ramp up' feature I mentioned?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know for sure about that 'ramp up' feature I mentioned?
Applying carefully timed high current pulses before charging is not a generally recognized way to revive or recondition NiMH batteries. There was a possible reason for doing it to NiCd batteries but that reason does not apply to NiMH.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
Picked one up today from Maplins and put the first batch of 4 on to Refresh and Analyse. It immediately showed up High on one so that has been discarded and we'll see what happens with the others. Nice unit! :D

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
One more question, sorry :), when doing the Refresh and Analyse (which I note goes through steps Charge, Rest, Discharge, Rest Charge) as suggested from 1 to 3 times when attempting to rescue batteries is it recommended to intersperse the Refresh and Analyse stages with a Discharge stage in between or simply repeat them?

I assume the charger will on the 2nd and 3rd runs just check and top off then go into rest and then discharge, rest and charge so no harm done but I wanted to check that this was the way it was intended to be used.

Also, I'm assuming that if Break in is used on a cell then one should use Discharge before doing this (unless brand new and not pre charged)?

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more question, sorry :), when doing the Refresh and Analyse (which I note goes through steps Charge, Rest, Discharge, Rest Charge) as suggested from 1 to 3 times when attempting to rescue batteries is it recommended to intersperse the Refresh and Analyse stages with a Discharge stage in between or simply repeat them?

I assume the charger will on the 2nd and 3rd runs just check and top off then go into rest and then discharge, rest and charge so no harm done but I wanted to check that this was the way it was intended to be used.

Also, I'm assuming that if Break in is used on a cell then one should use Discharge before doing this (unless brand new and not pre charged)?
With Refresh and Analyze the idea is to repeat until there is no further improvement. So if you do a Discharge after the Refresh has finished you can compare that reading to what the R&A reported. If the new discharge reading has increased it might be worth doing another R&A, otherwise not. If you have any plans on storing the cell rather than using it immediately, then discharging it is also a good idea, since traditional NiMH cells (not the new low self-discharge variety) last better if they are stored in a discharged state and cycled every six months or so.

As for the Break-In question, opinions vary. Many of us like to do a discharge first, but in theory it shouldn't make a lot of difference either way.

Also, when you run a Break-In you should set the capacity to what was measured by Refresh and Analyze, rather than the number printed on the cell.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
Also, when you run a Break-In you should set the capacity to what was measured by Refresh and Analyze, rather than the number printed on the cell.

Thanks again, that sounds like it might be important but wasn't obvious from anything I read about the charger. I'm not really sure why you would lower the Break-In mAh setting, it doesn't seem obvious if you are trying to reactivate a cells full capacity and in any case Maha say that Break-In will attempt to slowly deliver 1.6 times the value entered for Break-In anyway.

Sorry for all the newbie questions btw :)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again, that sounds like it might be important but wasn't obvious from anything I read about the charger. I'm not really sure why you would lower the Break-In mAh setting, it doesn't seem obvious if you are trying to reactivate a cells full capacity and in any case Maha say that Break-In will attempt to slowly deliver 1.6 times the value entered for Break-In anyway.
You are right, it is not obvious. However, the Break-In cycle applies a measured and deliberate overcharge to the cell, which relies on the recycle reactions inside the cell being able to absorb and throw away the excess charge. If a cell happens to be somewhat worn out, then the ability to dissipate excess charge may be worn out as well. Therefore it is best to start gentle, and increase the charge rate if the cell can handle it. If the first Break-In cycle on the cell gives a higher capacity, then by all means use that capacity for the next Break-In.

iamasmith

Newly Enlightened
2 out of the 5 so far tried (one showed High and was discarded immediately) seem OKish at about 83% capacity, they are doing their second R&A right now.

The other 2 that are in the charger are doing discharge capacity readings of 1880mAh and 1788mAh (remember these started out as 2700mAh cells) :eek:

Do you think it's worth trying to run a break in on these or just dump them? (I did pick up some Eneloops today also btw as a replacement)

Interestingly (and I think shockingly) the output current on the charger I HAD been using that came with these Uniross cells was a full 2.7A.... no wonder it charged them quick.. this could explain why they haven't survived all that long - that's going in the bin.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other 2 that are in the charger are doing discharge capacity readings of 1880mAh and 1788mAh (remember these started out as 2700mAh cells)
Remember they started out as claimed 2700mAh cells, which doesn't necessarily mean they ever got anywhere near 2700mAh.
If you're getting 1800/1900mAh now, that might still be ~80% of actual original capacity.