malkof/ streamlight stinger drop in

ch4man

Newly Enlightened
has anyone tried this yet? the price is right to make me wanna try and resurrect the dead ( an old stinger that is )

tolkaze

Enlightened
They have only just become available. Wait a few days, it hasn't been long enough for people to recieve them yet

ch4man

Newly Enlightened
thx, i havent been "around" for a while, wasnt sure when their release was.
for my work light its a perfect platform. for all other EDC i hve my r123 lights ( though not enough)

Lighteous

Enlightened
Is there one available for the Ultra-Stinger or just the Stinger? A while back I installed a TerraLux replacement in my Ultra-Stinger. It's an improvement with a blazing hotspot and greater throw. A Malkoff would be an even greater improvement.

Edit: Never mind, I answered my own question. It appears from the Malkoff site that it is only for the Stinger and not the Ultra-Stinger.

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
A while back I installed a TerraLux replacement in my Ultra-Stinger. It's an improvement with a blazing hotspot and greater throw. A Malkoff would be an even greater improvement.

How do you like the TerraLux replacement for your Ultrastinger? I actually don't like mine that much. The tint is a bit too cool for me and the hotspot is a bit too much (would prefer more spill). Plus, the module won't work when installed per the instructions (the instructions say to install with the cutout toward the exposed screw, but mine would only work when it was opposite). So, I thought that might've affected the beam quality.

Very interested in the Stinger version, though. Love the SL-20x drop-in so I hope this Stinger drop-in will be similar.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The latest generation Terralux Stinger drop-in is nice.

The Malkoff is interesting as it uses the stock head/reflector. I may have to track one down...

Lighteous

Enlightened
How do you like the TerraLux replacement for your Ultrastinger? I actually don't like mine that much. The tint is a bit too cool for me and the hotspot is a bit too much (would prefer more spill). Plus, the module won't work when installed per the instructions (the instructions say to install with the cutout toward the exposed screw, but mine would only work when it was opposite). So, I thought that might've affected the beam quality.

Very interested in the Stinger version, though. Love the SL-20x drop-in so I hope this Stinger drop-in will be similar.

I don't really care for the TerraLux replacement for my Ultra-Stinger. Confirming your observations, the tint is ice cold and the hotspot is a very concentrated. Like I said, it will throw a good distance, but it isn't useful for most applications. I always reach for a floodier beam light. The Ultra-Stinger was my first really bright light and has gone from being the envy of my neighborhood buds to being a perpetual shelf queen, as they say.

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
i know the feeling. the Ultrastinger was also my first really bright light and I tended to stick with the Streamlight brands (maybe more out of loyalty or sentimental feelings). Was hoping to get an LED drop-in to extend the battery life but the Terralux tint is too cool.

My preference to the Malkoff's is growing stronger. Good construction as well as beam quality.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything for the Polystinger?

The latest generation of the Terralux Stinger conversion is listed as working with the Poly.

I received the Malkoff Stinger "drop in." Overall, it's nicely built: a big chunk of brass, with a small tower where the LED is placed.

Remove the O-ring from the stock bezel, carefully align it over the LED tower and screw the bezel onto the body. I noticed that, on my 1994 vintage Stinger, that it needed to be pretty tight. Extended running with a new NIMH OEM-Streamlight battery stick, that the head gets fairly warm (good heat sinking).

Beam quality is nice and even with the newer, stippled, bezel. If you use an older smooth reflector bezel, the hotspot will be milky and full of artifacts.

Output is good, but not as intense as the Terralux.

-dan

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a Malkoff MDSTG for my old Stinger, and it arrived yesterday. I pulled my old Stinger off the shelf, and it looks like the power supply, charger sleeve, and probably the battery stick as well are fried. Power supply is putting out 19.5v instead of 12-13 volt. The charger sleeve is putting out 14v instead of 4.8v. Battery won't even begin to charge. I'm not looking forward to spending another $50-60 to resurrect this old friend.

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed.

5Sport

Enlightened
51.00 for the Terralux drop in. At that price I may have to keep the ican in my Polystinger. :mad:

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a Malkoff MDSTG for my old Stinger, and it arrived yesterday. I pulled my old Stinger off the shelf, and it looks like the power supply, charger sleeve, and probably the battery stick as well are fried. Power supply is putting out 19.5v instead of 12-13 volt. The charger sleeve is putting out 14v instead of 4.8v. Battery won't even begin to charge. I'm not looking forward to spending another $50-60 to resurrect this old friend.

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed.

Can you send it back to Streamlight for warranty coverage? Don't they have a lifetime guarantee?

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Can you send it back to Streamlight for warranty coverage? Don't they have a lifetime guarantee?

Streamlight warrants our products to be free of defects, including LED, for a lifetime of use. We will repair, replace or refund the purchase price, at our option, any Streamlight product that does not work as a result of a manufacturing defect for as long as you own it. This limited lifetime warranty excludes abuse, non-rechargeable batteries, bulbs, chargers, switches, electronics and normal wear and tear. Rechargeable batteries, chargers, switches and electronics have a two (2) year warranty with proof of purchase.

I guess not.

ch4man

Newly Enlightened
thats where buying from a local dealer is the way to go. for the 12 years i used my incan stinger for a work light i had 4 switches replaced free of charge while i waited at the store ( striechers) while on lunch break

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed.

Well, the saga continues. A buddy of mine is a fellow flashlight nut and he came over last night. After a little horse-trading, I came in to possession of a newer Stinger among other things. We charged up this Stinger, got it working with the standard xenon bulb just fine. However my Malkoff drop-in didn't work. We swapped some parts and tried it in the other Stinger with the working battery stick, and the MDSTG drop-in still won't work. I'm stumped, and still pretty disappointed. I sent an email to Gene Malkoff, and I'm trying my best to wait patiently for a solution from him.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the like-new UltraStinger I scored in this trade from my buddy. It's a little retro with the incan bulb, but it's a helluva thrower!

-- Frank

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the saga continues. A buddy of mine is a fellow flashlight nut and he came over last night. After a little horse-trading, I came in to possession of a newer Stinger among other things. We charged up this Stinger, got it working with the standard xenon bulb just fine. However my Malkoff drop-in didn't work. We swapped some parts and tried it in the other Stinger with the working battery stick, and the MDSTG drop-in still won't work. I'm stumped, and still pretty disappointed. I sent an email to Gene Malkoff, and I'm trying my best to wait patiently for a solution from him.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the like-new UltraStinger I scored in this trade from my buddy. It's a little retro with the incan bulb, but it's a helluva thrower!

-- Frank

Make sure the Malkoff isnt installed backwards. The notch should be pointing towards the screw that holds the switch assembly/charging contacts.

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
Well, not too long after I posted that and emailed him, I got a phone call from Gene Malkoff. After a few minutes, Gene had me up and running. Evidently, there are some differences in the Stingers over the years, and Gene is working on straightening these issues out. My particular problem was that the polarity was reversed on the pins & bulb socket. I had to back that screw out to prevent it from touching the brass base of the drop in, then flip it around and install the drop in backwards. Worked like a charm! All I need to do now is trim that screw down so I can screw it in flush without the possibility of it touching the drop in's brass base. If that happens, it will likely short out my battery or fry the flashlight.

The MDSTG is very bright, a huge improvement over the original bulb! Some of my standard tests are illuminating a street sign two blocks away from my house. It easily passed this test. I can light up the inside of a car by shining it through the tinted windows very well. The spot is fairly large, with lots of spill. It lights up a large room or a yard pretty well. I use my lights in the field, I am not a white wall hunter, but I did find that the spot was free of holes and has few subtle rings. Certainly much better than many LED lights I have paid much more money for.

All in all, this was a great investment for me, well worth the money. Gene's customer service and business ethic continues to impress me. We spent more than 20 minutes chatting on the phone, even discussing some of his current and upcoming projects.

If you've got an old Stinger on the shelf, I would highly recommend the Malkoff MDSTG.

--Frank

Last edited: