• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Malkoff Junkies: Assemble! M361 WARM P60 drop-in

arcane

Newly Enlightened
I just saw one of these sell on WTS and I can't believe I totally missed out on the groupbuy. If anybody has another they're willing to let go please let me know!!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw one of these sell on WTS and I can't believe I totally missed out on the groupbuy. If anybody has another they're willing to let go please let me know!!

I haven't used any other flashlight for real work since I got this. I'm lucky and mine works with the Hi/Lo ring. I can't imagine needing anything else. I have some play lights but for real world purposes this is as good as I've had in a flashlight.

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened
I came to the party waaay late!
I believe I'm the first to own one of these nichia dropins second-hand. (sorry arcane)
After using it in my MD1/18350 for about a week, I just felt the need to thank nimdabew for manifesting this thing!
Freakin love it....it's just right in so many ways.

THANKS Ya'll

Russ

arcane

Newly Enlightened
I haven't used any other flashlight for real work since I got this. I'm lucky and mine works with the Hi/Lo ring. I can't imagine needing anything else. I have some play lights but for real world purposes this is as good as I've had in a flashlight.
After using it in my MD1/18350 for about a week, I just felt the need to thank nimdabew for manifesting this thing!
Freakin love it....it's just right in so many ways.
I think what you guys meant to say was, "this dropin is totally mediocre and I hardly use it. Please arcane take if off my hands and put it to good use." J/k I'm glad you guys are enjoying them!

Paypal ready to go if anyone has an extra!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I use mine pretty much exclusively as an indoor light. For work or outdoors to me it's just not bright enough.But indoors it is absolutely the light I grab. The 3 levels are perfect and the tint/color is friken awesome.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put mine in an MD2 that we keep in the kitchen for searching the pantry shelves where there is no overhead light and for looking for the dog outside at night. It replaced an M61W with a Hi/Lo switch. Poor decision. Having never had a 361 before, I'm not sure what I expected. What I got was my wife whining about how the output wasn't as bright as the "other one" and, after showing her how to click through to get to the highest output, how "annoying" it was to have to do such clicking when "the other one worked just fine." Said tapping/clicking was/is okay for me, but the Hi/Lo ring is IMO a much better solution with the M61W as long as there is no need for a medium level.

So, the M361 has been sitting on my dresser for the better part of the time since I've owned it. The tint is wonderful but it hasn't turned out us to be the perfect dropin that I had envisioned. I don't think I'm to the point of selling it yet as it was very limited in production, but...

Anyway, the moral to the story here is happy wife, happy life!!

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tested both of mine and they don't work with the Hi/Lo ring. Is it possible that it's the ring and not the drop-in?

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's on Malkoff site that 361 is not designed to work with hi/lo ring due to several outputs controled with power interuption or half press/fast click. Ring is designed for single mode drop ins having a resistor to limit the current.
My 61 works great with McE2S tailcap though[emoji41]

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya none of my M361 work 100 percent with the hi/lo ring. I have one regular M361 that works like 90 percent of the time correct but it's hit and miss. My warm M361's are about the same. I wish I could get them to work a lower low would be great with these. But the spacing is pretty good and love the tint so I'm not complaining.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best way I can describe how low my low is. If you've tried to take a picture of an illuminated LED with an iPhone 5s it's extremely hard to actually see the emitter unless it's super low. I was able to take this in a dark room.

It is finicky but I can always get the lower modes. Mine is hit or miss so it's not 100% but it's effective and I'm happy with it.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya none of my M361 work 100 percent with the hi/lo ring. I have one regular M361 that works like 90 percent of the time correct but it's hit and miss. My warm M361's are about the same. I wish I could get them to work a lower low would be great with these. But the spacing is pretty good and love the tint so I'm not complaining.

Mine will turn on and change levels, but once it's on Hi it won't drop back down to Lo.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I can get 3 levels of low and 3 levels of high. Just not when I want them. If I turn it off and back on or go to high and stay there for a bit. My lows are kinda reliable for a bit then they start going all over. I'm good with just the 3 levels. I have one in a MD2 the other in a Z2.

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Just installed mine into its new host:

20190705-201558.jpg

20190705-201542.jpg

20190705-201521.jpg

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
apparently I have missed out on some good stuff this year....guess i will eventually have to keep an eye out in the marketplace.

Bummer you are having troubles with these using the H/L rings. That's what happened to my nichia 219b M361. used to work, now it has a mind of it's own. Luckily my M361 works flawlessly and provides 6 useful modes:p

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's been a while and folks have had the chance to get to know these fine drop ins.

For some reason mine almost always starts on medium. Now to me that is perfect since it rides in a round 6P. At turn on it pretty much mimics a factory setup. A half press to high if need be and another for battery sipping.

Anybody elses frequently start on medium? Do they perhaps have a memory? I use medium most so it makes me wonder that.

Last edited: