Malkoff legos

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh it's more then that. Might want to see if your meter is reading right. I'll check mine at home and tell you what I get but all my 91's were well above 2.5. Unless gene changed something. Is this his new 91BN or from the GB?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the science behind it, but a pro that does told me is a short is created when the current demand is more than the battery can discharge. If you don't turn it off the battery will continue to short itself and heat up until it explodes.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
brand new, arrived only a few weeks ago from the official site
Well maybe gene has changed something because on 2X123's the 91 draws double what your getting. Cool! Can anyone else check there 91s for draw on 2 primaries?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don't know the science behind it, but a pro that does told me is a short is created when the current demand is more than the battery can discharge. If you don't turn it off the battery will continue to short itself and heat up until it explodes.
Yes that's how you get into strobe mode. 😂😂

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok with two fresh 123's@ 5.87 volts my M91 is drawing 2.56. My other is drawing 2.65.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the best way to measure current draw?

You need an amp meter and ideally a volt meter.
My negative cable is a battery cable so that resistance doesn't interfere with my readings.
Draw is directly affected by volts. The higher the volts the less current, the lower the volts the more current.

So when we say 2.56 amps, it is important to know at what volts, too.

Malkoff measures current using a benchpower and his measurements are taken at the dropin.
I take my measurements in the host being used and is more accurate for my usage since it's from my set up.
That doesn't mean Malkoff's measurement is inferior...it's just for general guidance.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I'll try mine when i get home

@fulee9999 - do you have the neutral? How do you like it?

It's pretty great in it's own term, but when I compare it to my M61N on a red surface... well... whew, not great in terms of CRI.
But all in all I'm pretty hyped with it, for the omnivore it's pretty great, I have no qualms with the CRI in day-to-day use.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe Gene upgraded the driver? what's your draw on 3xCR123?

Lesser current means lower lumens.
I can't think of any meaningful exceptions when talking about a modern day Malkoff using modern day components.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Lesser current means lower lumens.
I can't think of any meaningful exceptions when talking about a modern day Malkoff using modern day components.

To be honest I'm not even sure where the M91 falls out of regulation, so maybe 6-12 volts provide the same lumens...?
I know that on 3V it's pretty damn bright if I compare it to a M61

Edit: Also weirdly enough, with the 2x18500 I get 7.87 volts and 2.71 amps...

thermal guy

Flashaholic
At 7.6 volts "2X18650" I'm drawing 1.56. The higher the voltage the lower the draw. Not sure why your reading what you are.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
8.47 volts "3X123" I'm drawing 1.6 ish. At 11.5 volts "3X18650" I'm getting 1.04.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
You need an amp meter and ideally a volt meter.
My negative cable is a battery cable so that resistance doesn't interfere with my readings.
Draw is directly affected by volts. The higher the volts the less current, the lower the volts the more current.

So when we say 2.56 amps, it is important to know at what volts, too.

Malkoff measures current using a benchpower and his measurements are taken at the dropin.
I take my measurements in the host being used and is more accurate for my usage since it's from my set up.
That doesn't mean Malkoff's measurement is inferior...it's just for general guidance.
Thanks, can I just use a multimeter, remove the tailcap and measure?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
strobe mode can only be accessed by the hardest of hard users
Just go ask fire marshal Bill!
Screenshot_20220707-181802.png