Malkoff M91

BULL TERRIER

Newly Enlightened
Re: OK, who got an M91???

Mine arrives in a couple of hours, and I'm looking forward to it. I haven't decided what to run it in yet, but it'll probably be either a bored out 9P on 2x18500s or in an MD2 with a 2-speed ring.

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll say! Mine just arrived a few minutes ago, and I popped it into an MD2 with 2x IMRs, and it really cooks! 500 lumens, my eye!

hi donn.
im curious about the heat issue at say 1 hour runtime, as in is the light to hot to even hold or is it a useful light that is warm at best, and runtimes on 2x imr. will you post your findings here? thanks

Last edited:

Disintergrator66

Newly Enlightened
Malkoff M91 discussion here.

It looks the XM-L M62 model that we were anticipating materialized into a three-cell M91. My initial thoughts are that I wish the price point were a little lower and that it would run on two primaries.

It looks like a viable competitor to the Oveready L1 given its price and beam profile. That said, once you pass the $100 mark for a drop-in, you might as well buy the Oveready, IMHO.

I love Malkoff's P60 products (I have 3) but like you I'm a bit disappointed with the M91's $125 price tag. This is almost double the cost of a M61. Bummer....

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Post 666 no less or was that the point? "

Both. Evil cause he's out and it was # 666.

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
I am fortunate enough to have two of the new M91s and I love them. One is in an MD4 with two AW18650s and the other in a Surefire Z3 with three RCR123s. The output of both is visibly greater than a Nailbender SST50 rated at 650 lumens (run at 6v). My Z3 sat with no drop in for over a year waiting for the ability to run a drop in with three RCRs, and it finally is here. The beam is very floody, and perfect for either walking, taking the dog out, or for in-home use for defense purposes. It is a great room lighter. With the HI/Lo ability, it would suffice as a one flashlight does it all. (uh oh, hope my wife does not read that.)

About price, there is the CPF discount, for those who remember to ask for it.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I've ordered quite a few things from Gene. Never realized there was a discount code.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would love to see a beam shot vs the M61 :)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Me too, hopefully outdoors. :)

yangdong1112

Newly Enlightened

I prefer it too, but I can't afford it at this moment. In my opinion, a bit expensive.

ronrog69

Newly Enlightened

First of all... Man did I miss CPF, welcome back..

That said, who scored a Malkoff M91??

Got mine yesterday and all I have to say is WOW!!!! Loving the XM-L goodness.

Running mine in an FM 2x18650 tube with a new Ronac Cryos head. Gets warm after a few minutes, but not too hot and what a HUGE hotspot. Loving it.

Got one on order. These post just confirm what a smart purchase I made.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi donn.
im curious about the heat issue at say 1 hour runtime, as in is the light to hot to even hold or is it a useful light that is warm at best, and runtimes on 2x imr. will you post your findings here? thanks

I'm curious to know too. Anyone has tried running at 1 hour yet? :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
But come one a drop-in designed for 3 cells? So you're using a let's say 9P host and still get pretty low capacity. IIRC only 1.5-1.6A is given to the XM-L why not design it for a single cell?
The finalized design of the M91 (w.r.t. voltage inputs) sounds perfect IMO. There are beginning to be scads of single-cell XM-L dropins available now, but very very few options for those who want to use multiple LiIons for longer runtime. 2 large LiIons is a fantastic combo. ~3 hrs or so of max output on 2x 18650's is a very difficult configuration to put together from components we currently have available on CPF. I for one am very happy that it can take relatively high input voltages. :shrug:

srfreddy

Enlightened
Many of the cheap XML's are low voltage, but the Thrunites have 2 cell models. However, the M91 offers higher output (2 amps vs. 1.5 for the Thrunite), and Malkoff durability. The downside is the cost, 125 vs 23 for the Thrunite.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I find it a bit curious that the Malkoff XM-L products have shot up this much in price compared to the XP-G products. The diodes aren't that much more expensive. I guess it's a bit of taking what you know you'll get for them..

Either way $125 is too much, and I'll stick to the M61s, M60s and my potted Nailbender XM-L module. (apparently they're just $45 now :>)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I got my M91 yesterday, good golly Miss Molly the beam is awesome!! Makes me wonder what a monster a WildCat XML would be. :devil:

HUGE flood, decent throw. Its almost like the M60 MCE with throw.

Latest posts