Malkoff M91

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overpriced, most likely yes. Malkoff reliability and customer service is worth it, if that is what you have to pay. $89.99 would have been a better price for it.

I find it a bit curious that the Malkoff XM-L products have shot up this much in price compared to the XP-G products. The diodes aren't that much more expensive. I guess it's a bit of taking what you know you'll get for them..

Either way $125 is too much, and I'll stick to the M61s, M60s and my potted Nailbender XM-L module. (apparently they're just $45 now :>)

The new higher voltage driver specs look promising, and It is versatile because of compatibility with primaries. For sure more versatile than some of it's closest competitors like the famed Modoo V3 triple and others which are not compatible at all with primary cells. Like most all of Gene's products, brightness and runtime are probably under-rated with the M91's specs. If and when I pick up a M91, I will most likely use it in a 2x18500 set-up.

The finalized design of the M91 (w.r.t. voltage inputs) sounds perfect IMO. There are beginning to be scads of single-cell XM-L dropins available now, but very very few options for those who want to use multiple LiIons for longer runtime. 2 large LiIons is a fantastic combo. ~3 hrs or so of max output on 2x 18650's is a very difficult configuration to put together from components we currently have available on CPF. I for one am very happy that it can take relatively high input voltages. :shrug:

stoli67

Enlightened
So I reread the specs.... seems that it only goes up to 9volts .... so 2 x 26650 it is then!

Can't wait till a few with non-green tints come back in...

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taken from the Malkoff website: .....The input voltage is 6.5 - 12 volts.........

Your setup will work nicely otherwise.

So I reread the specs.... seems that it only goes up to 9volts .... so 2 x 26650 it is then!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
So I reread the specs.... seems that it only goes up to 9volts
From the Malkoff web page:
"The input voltage is 6.5 - 12 volts. [...] The current draw is only 800ma at 9v and 600ma at 12v."
Perhaps Gene can verify that it will operate within spec with 3 LiIons (voltage under load = 3x 3.7V = 11.1)

Edit: kyhunter1, looks like you're the faster draw this morning. :)

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

How do you know it won't be green? Does Mr. Malkoff guaranty the tint?

recDNA

Flashaholic
My M91 is not green, at all. Cool white.

I was just replying to stoli67's remark that he can't wait for some more non-green ones to come in. Does Mr Malkoff throw the green ones away? He must get stuck with some of them. Maybe that is part of the reason the price is so high?

Does he still make the MD2 camo models? There's one for sale in the CMP that is gorgeous but I don't like the drop in that it comes with. A nice camo MD2 with an M91 and the dual mode ring and a couple of 18350's sounds really nice.

Last edited:

alex987

Newly Enlightened
i really like the malkoff quality and feel but the prize difference between the oveready triple and the m91 is to small i would rather have the oveready triple if you can find it there always out of stock sadly :(

recDNA

Flashaholic
I had the Oveready triple and found I do not like pure flood. Because of its beam profile it didn't look as bright to me as I know it actually is. I'm not sure I wouldn't prefer the M91 to the Oveready triple. It all depends on the beam profile you like. I know now I do like a floody spill but I miss the hotspot when there isn't one.

Darvis

Enlightened
Alrighty, for those interested, a little runtime test.

I took two AW RCR123's off my PILA IBC at 4.2 volts, waited until they settled down to 4.15 and then fired up the M91 in the following rig:

Moddoo (oveready) 1x18650 host with the P60 adaptor
Moddo triad tailcap with a VANisleDSM FETtie switch
Ronac's Cryos cooling head

I tailstood the light during the entire test, there was NO perceptible change in brightness at all from start to finish.

The light ran exactly 31 minutes and then shut off. I tested the batteries and they were at 3.33 volts.

I let everything cool for 15 minutes, then fired it back up, it ran for about 30 seconds and shut back off (just to make sure I did not trip any heat cut-offs).

The light was hot, not warm, hot; but not painfully hot.. I feel using it for this amount of time would have been no issue had I been holding it the whole time.

31 minutes on RCR123's, that a lot of output and runtime for such a small light....!!!

I had the light pointed at a white ceiling, the beam color is pure white in the hot spot with a noticable purple corona at the outskirts. This was the beam color throughout, so heat did not cause it to go blue. The purple is not noticable at all outside or when not pointing it at a white wall.

I compared the brightness to other 500-ish lumen lights in my collection and it appears much brighter, so I suspect this thing is really closer to 650-700 lumens. It's MUCH brighter than the M61 and after this test, I am definitely NOT in the camp of the M61 is better; I think this is the most versitile light Malkoff has at the moment given the flexibilty of battery configuration and output.. it's stunning. If you are on the edge of whether to spend the 125 bucks or not, think about all of the possibilities with this light and then add the Malkoff reputation for quality, durability and customer service.

My take: A 9P rig (2x18500) will be the most flexible, giving one the option of rechargables with good capacity and practical runtime, with the option of running three primaries as needed. The length of this combo would be no issue at all.

EDIT: 30 minutes later, I checked battery voltage and they had both settled at 3.5 volts. I popped them into the PILA and they started charging with no issues, so this thing will not kill your RCR's. Nice!!

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
I was offered one from a vendor with a greenish tint

"Neutral with a bit of green in it." was his comment... 2T tint

I want a cool white with no green so I am waiting.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I took two AW RCR123's off my PILA IBC at 4.2 volts, waited until they settled down to 3.7........

Question, how long did you have to wait till they "settled down" to 3.7 volts? My RCR123's take about a month, or more to drop from 4.2-3.7 or so volts. Most Li-Ion cells hold their voltage quite well unless they are damaged, even those with protection circuits. Are you using a different chemistry, not Li-Co cells? Just wondering. :)

Bill

optodoofus

Newly Enlightened
Just when I thought I had beaten my habit and stopped spending money on flashlights, the M91 comes along. I already feel myself getting sucked back in. When CPF was down, I went cold turkey and got along surprisingly well. But then I swung by here tonight and saw this.

<sigh>

optodoofus

Darvis

Enlightened
Question, how long did you have to wait till they "settled down" to 3.7 volts? My RCR123's take about a month, or more to drop from 4.2-3.7 or so volts. Most Li-Ion cells hold their voltage quite well unless they are damaged, even those with protection circuits. Are you using a different chemistry, not Li-Co cells? Just wondering. :)

Bill

Ha!, Thanks for catching that Bill.They were 4.15 volts after settling, I must have been thinking "3.7v Nominal" and typed that for some reason. I'll fix that up.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you know it won't be green? Does Mr. Malkoff guaranty the tint?

the first batch had a bunch of varying tints.

The second batch will only have 1D - a pure cool white tint (on the blackbody radiator line).

-Craig

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
From reading through the threads I think some find this M91 a bit too pricey considering alternative Oveready.com Tripples offer more lumens.

I too thought the M91 was too much $$$$, but then I remembered my Malkoff M60, M61, ect.....all make the same OTF lumens regardless of voltage input.
Most lights with multiple cell inputs drop in lumens and total watts with less voltage input, but the Malkoff drop-ins offer the the same lumens (minus M30 & M31) regardless of the voltage input. This is why I typically always test my lights with as many cell combinations and discover which cell/voltage input the lights or drop-ins like best.

While the XM-L is a less expensive LED, the driver might be trully regulated which is probably justifiable price if it is.

bigC

recDNA

Flashaholic
the first batch had a bunch of varying tints.

The second batch will only have 1D - a pure cool white tint (on the blackbody radiator line).

-Craig

Thanks for the 411!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk