Malkoff M91

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd wish to see the M91A v. Wildcat :)

I wish I had a good way of getting beam shots with a Samsung Galaxy S3,

I should say they are an amazing compliment to each other, The M91A light up a room like no other... This light will be my main light when I get to BLET, my back-up will me the WC, maybe both on MD3 bodies and not MD4, depends on what I have room for on me, Thankfully I am 6'4" so the MD4 may be just right.

But for REAL reach and and an unreal force of light in a room, the WC is awesome! It really does show it's force when you give it some space, it has a beautiful bright wall of light.

No wonder people fall in love with it so fast!

BTW I am currently trying several camera apps but none yet will let me lock an extended exposure setting, to try and get an idea of what I see with my eyes. Sure I can under or over expose, but I want a "delayed shutter" 2,3,4,5,6 seconds and so on to let the exposure capture the beam, then I can adjust white balance.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The (V4) Wildcat and M91A are different enough that it may be difficult to capture, but I can give it a shot tomorrow night.

Grizz

Glock 22

Enlightened
I just ordered a M91AW with the XM-L2, I'm very anxious to see the XM-L2 in action.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, 3000K? That's too warm for me. I really, really like my XM-L version, which is 3700K.

Grizz

Glock 22

Enlightened
dang man, I totally never did any beamshots for you either. I apologize about that! :(

but anyways, you're gonna love your new M91AW XM-L2!!

No problem at all, I forget all the time, no need to apologize.

Wow, 3000K? That's too warm for me. I really, really like my XM-L version, which is 3700K.

Grizz

Yeah 3000K I did catch that until you mentioned it, that's a bit to warm for me but lets hope it turns out good. I agree I also really like me XM-L 3700K version as well. Next time I need to read the description a little more.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up one used from the WTS section here on CPF - does anyone know if these can safely handle 3 lithium ions? I know the specs are 5.5-12v, but wondering if it could safely run at 12.6v on 3 freshly charged 17500's.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 fresh primaries in series is probably pushing 13 volts, so I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.

That said, a pair of 18650s would give you killer run time in comparison. Why the three 17500's?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thinking of playing with an A14 extender for a change, but will probably end up going with my A19 and two 17670. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donn_

Flashaholic
Even if 3x Li-Ions are fresh off the charger at 4.2V each, there is no way your host will allow 12.6V to get through to the drop-in. Losses to resistance will bring them down under 12V.

ugrey

Enlightened
The P3X is not out yet? It is rated at 1000 Lumens and the M91 is 800 or 850, and I saw where the M91 drops to 750 within a few minutes and the newer 2 battery 500 lumen SureFires, from the runtime tests I have seen, seem to drop within minutes to about 70% of rated output.

I wish Gene would go back to more beam like output, like my M60, and not room lighters like the M61. I think throw is more inmportant in the higher lumen drop ins.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does an M91 compare to a SureFire P3X Fury?

My "guess" is that the Malkoff will ultimately prove to be better, longer.

P3X = 800 lumens, but as we know the Surefires tend to lose their brightness fairly quickly. But, you have to consider that SF routinely underrates their lights.

M91 = 825 lumens initially, then settles to 750 lumens. I'm willing to bet that the Malkoff is steady at 750 lumens for over an hour on a fresh set of batteries, whereas the SF may drop to 600 or less after the first 45 minutes.

I'm sure someone will do a runtime chart (someone who has the right equipment) on the P3X when it comes out, and we'll all know for sure.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P3X is not out yet? It is rated at 1000 Lumens and the M91 is 800 or 850, and I saw where the M91 drops to 750 within a few minutes and the newer 2 battery 500 lumen SureFires, from the runtime tests I have seen, seem to drop within minutes to about 70% of rated output.

I wish Gene would go back to more beam like output, like my M60, and not room lighters like the M61. I think throw is more inmportant in the higher lumen drop ins.

Regarding malkoff M91 output, See post #16. Made in 2011, I doubt there has been a downgrade though.

"Output is greater than advertised." Made by someone who probably has good insight.

ugrey

Enlightened
Gene ought to give you a salesman's fee. I think you just sold me an M91. :) I MIGHT wait for a review of the SF P3X. Then again I might not. Many thanks.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up one used from the WTS section here on CPF - does anyone know if these can safely handle 3 lithium ions? I know the specs are 5.5-12v, but wondering if it could safely run at 12.6v on 3 freshly charged 17500's.

Gene has stated a few times in this forum that the M91 has a little bit left in it to handle 3 Li Ion's safely.

Glock 22

Enlightened
How many is a fan of the new M91AW XM-L2. I picked one up when here done his second run and I really like it. It's got a different beam profile than my other lights it's like a flood with a kind of spot in the middle, with make it different. Others may hate it, but after it grew on me I'm a big fan.