Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I am trying to make the link section easier without scrolling for days. I am experimenting a little. I started at the top with the MDC series, let me know what you think. Once i saved it; it changed a bit from what i was seeing, so we will see, but it allows for more info in one area.

Thoughts?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Looks like my best bet with my M31W is on a single eneloop.

It's not on there but I'm thinking from my experience with other M31's. A single energizer lithium would probably be even better.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So far as I have seen and from my use. The M61T is still the leader for full power the longest. That thing is efficient!

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if he is talking current gen or previous gen. Technically we are on gen3? so the ones I've tested would be gen2

as far as the changes i've made to the link section. it looks great on my laptop but a bit weird on a phone. You have to scroll left and right and the font size turns out smaller, IDK

as far as M31W goes, it's a good module but I think single energizer lithium will behave weirdly as can be seen with 2x energizer lithiums...not sure. I think eneloops are best for any standard M31 variant.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few M361 graphs...these are the only tests that will be done for this module. Module is on the way to its new home. This will let you know how it will behave on primaries, 18650 (which is designed for), and a smaller 18350 option. This should be plenty enough info to get an idea of what can be expected. it takes 2.5v to light this module and is only rated to 6v.

I am just going to do only 2-3 tests per module from here on out. The modules I end up keeping (which won't be too many) can be further tested for comparison later down the road. Some modules like L/LL might not get much more testing as the tests will be very long.
ATMPvRQ.jpg

4eK0p2J.jpg

Iex8FnP.jpg

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My 361's always looked brighter to me then my standard 61's. Guess they are a little bit. 2.5 volts to work huh? Didn't know that. Wondering how she would work with a single 16340 or a primary even? Might make a nice low level night light. Think I'll give that a try. Great work as always my friend.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So my m361 pulls 6.5 ma off of a primary 123! Holy hell. That's probably 200 hours on low.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, M361 usually has a bit more output than M61 variants...this might explain why it seems a little brighter.

Are you measuring true low mode or low mode using H/L ring. I faintly remember a really low draw on low but not that low....maybe I just can't recall.

I imagine if you want low output for long runtimes; many of these modules will give you what you want. I was browsing some graphs last night/beginning of the day and saw some crazy low mode runtimes from various modules/lights including hound dogs.

we have so many options outside of what these lights were designed.
M61 could run on single cells or 2x eneloops but those tests are not for me....maybe one day when i have nothing to do for days. or If i let a test run while i'm out on the road. i did that once in the past and whatever module it was ran longer than I was gone IIRC.

I also want to test some modules with a modified H/L ring set to 50lm. I think i have done that in the past for woodswalker. My reasoning is this... M31L/LL or even M61; instead of having 2 modules; I can take the higher output module and set Low to match the other module. This in theory should give me both modules in one. I would lose true low mode but that would be ok, or just swap H/L rings.

I want to keep 1 M31 as i am not the biggest fan of 3v. M31 LL 219b is around 50lm I think. M31L 219b is around 125lm. If I use this in MD1 with H/L I would set low to match M31LL 219b. I think the runtime would be close enough to matching the true M31LL 219b. Both are great modules and make it difficult to choose. I need to see if i still have my H/L ring to make 50lm on low. I can then compare current draw. Anyway, you get the idea. I normally don't care about the low output modules. M361 can give me the modes i need. M361 gives me full usable output, a good general output, and good low, low low modes.

I also think an M331 would be a great idea for 123/eneloop. I don't care about runtime, like many of you. If i can get an hour or 2 from a module; I'm good. 1hr is typically good enough for my use. Okay...I'm done rambling for the moment

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just regular low.Never had a Hi/lo ring work with my 361's. But this is with a single cr123. Might be why.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're funny. I'm back, went to go buy some vinyl with my 16yr old

you haven't been able to get H/L to work on M361? I have had issues with my M361 219b. it used to work , then one day decided to act oddly. My M361N has been flawless and i imagine CW should work without issues as well. You don't know what you're missing out on.

I'm hoping i can get v3 to work without issue. I have 2x v2 but haven't played with them much to see.

I forgot, I am not going to be testing any LL modules (maybe just on primaries) I went to test the M61LL on 18650 but it's still going after nearly 24hrs. So we know runtime is great. L does very well too; but we'll see.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Hi/lo ring has issues with the M361. If yours works consider yourself lucky. Almost no one has good luck with them. Now in my elzetta, that's a different story it works great a never misses a beat with the hi/lo tail. Them 3 low levels are WAY low. Very nice.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, if it works in your Bravo, problem solved. I don't know what resistor is used in a bravo H/L. Maybe a resistor change on malkoff H/L would resolve your issue. The only downside is the lows become brighter as you change the resistor. That's what i loved about the 219b; it had the perfect ultra low mode. Neutral is brighter and with adapted eyes...slightly brighter than I usually use.

Going to go browse inventory to see what else i can list;)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Holy hell! That's some serious runtime off of a 18650! Yikes. And basically flat for over 20 hours. I didn't think you would get that long of runtime with that cell. I mean I know you would get more then on 2X123's but that's huge.

Gene list the M61LL as 100 lumens and draws 150ma at 6 volts. Can you let me know what it pulls off of a 18650? I don't have one of these.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I cut the test short because i wasn't expecting that much either...wasn't thinking i guess. When I initially tested back whenever...I am showing [email protected]; [email protected]. that would be rated/rested voltage for li-ion. I need to update my M61 current draw readings. I have a bunch done but yesterday I noticed I don't have the spec sheet updated.

for those that want killer runtime, the L, LL, LLL are definitely worthwhile

this is previous gen rated@80lm. on 2x 123; i believe it has higher output

I'm showing 140ma@6v for this particular module.

I'm showing just over 100lm from 2x 123, so it's right around that 100lm range from 6v.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Guess I never did the math. But ya 140 MA draw with a 3500 mah battery is over 24 hours so guess it makes sense.

Latest posts