Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have updated the spec sheet images (showing current draw readings). Somewhere along the way, I seemed to have missed a few modules. I think the same will be for my runtime graphs. I could have sworn I had more data than what I'm seeing. I have a bunch of tests to go through. Looking at the link page; it appears that I have missed some tests.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little update to my 76 Crewcab Project: Sorry It was getting dark...Decided to go with 37/1350/17 Cooper SST Pro's on Fuel Anza 17x9
xL1YmPU.jpg
JDylTk0.jpg
kfJUqkC.jpg

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, I don't know how I got into only spending a lot of money; rather than just spend what I need to. It's fun though and rewarding in the end.

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the M61LL 18650 test. Extremely impressed with the runtime, and very glad I bought the LL. That will be my go-to Blackout flashlight from now on.

Looking through the graphs, I may have missed it, but have you ever tested the Runtime for the 'Low' on the High-Low ring? I'm very curious what the runtime would be, and whether it's worth it for my current M61LL.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not do too many low mode tests because they take forever to run, but several members have done their own testing on low. The results are scattered, so they would be hard to find now.

I also don't recall what m61 produces on low, around 5-10lm depending on cell configuration i believe. I am not sure what your family of Malkoff is, but if you have a H/L ring you could try it out. It should run for a very long time in low mode.

I also did M61LL primaries which still does really good as well. I did a special test with a modified H/L ring set to 50lm on the M61NL, with killer results.

There are endless possibilities on what you can do. Just depends on what you want or are after.

I also could have sworn I ran at least 1 test per module, but I'm seeing a bit of missing tests. I'll have to find all my notes/data,etc. Not sure what happened.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in the thread, but can we assume that the M31 Nichia modules listed are all v2 unless otherwise specified?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thank you for the M61LL 18650 test. Extremely impressed with the runtime, and very glad I bought the LL. That will be my go-to Blackout flashlight from now on.

Looking through the graphs, I may have missed it, but have you ever tested the Runtime for the 'Low' on the High-Low ring? I'm very curious what the runtime would be, and whether it's worth it for my current M61LL.

I just tested my M61WLL on low in my MD2. She draws 50ma at 6 volts. 18 ma at 4.2! That's crazy.

If my math and logic is correct "and it never is" this should equate to way over 50 hours on a 3500/18650.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo (Weekly Updates!)

Re: M61LLL 219b 3x Eneloop Pro

On alkalines. The initial output will be much higher lumens wise. But it will drop about halfway below NiMH lumens and stay there. However, it will keep going at a very low output well beyond nimh and have total runtime thats 50% bigger than nimh.
Maybe even twice as long but very dim. Think 5 lumens for 24 hours or 3 lumens for 36 hours.

It will look sort of like the hound dog 18650 on low.

I have been testing the hell out of my M61LLL V3 for the past week. Right now I'm actually running it on 4 Duracell Alkaline AA's It just passed the 50 hour mark and is Down to a level that is slightly higher then my Malkoff AA on low. It doesn't seem like much but you can easily read, walk and it's throwing a good 10-12 feet.Ill let you all know end results.

Update. I am now at 93 hours and the output has dropped to just under what my Malkoff AA puts out on low.Despite what the stated output is for the Malkoff AA on low I find it hard to believe it's under 1lumen. Even at the 93 hour mark it is still throwing 10 feet or so and in the dark I have no problem walking around and navigating with it.

So I just finished a run test with my M61LLL V3. 108 hours on 4 Duracell AA's. It was full power for probably 15 hours or so then dropped down to twice the output of my Malkoff AA on low sat there until the 40 hour mark and then stayed at the exact output "to my eyes' as my Malkoff AA on low till the 108 hour mark which is a very usable level by the way. Great runtime no question and im glad I did the test so now I know but, it's kinda pointless isn't it? What I mean Is For emergencies I can run this dropin for over 100 hours off of 4AA's in a pretty long host or over 800 hours with the same supply of batteries with my Malkoff AA to begin with. lol yes you get more output for awhile with the M61LLL but for most of the time it's really not any brighter then my AA. Think I'm starting to learn some valuable lessons here😁

I posted this I the Front porch section as well. Figured it would be useful there as well.

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere in the thread, but can we assume that the M31 Nichia modules listed are all v2 unless otherwise specified?
Yes all Nichia lights/modules in my tests are V2 with the exception of the v1 that a fellow member sent me for testing.

Same applies to all other modules; they are previous to driver update as far as i'm aware. Everything was purchased in 2017 to early 2018. The updated driver modules started in March 2018 and extended through 2018. My last couple of purchases were early 2018, so I am unsure if they had any updates from 2017. From memory and talking to Gene i thought they were all previous to the updated driver versions.

If there was anything different tested, it is noted.

Darvis

Enlightened
I've been away from the forum for a while and have been slowly diving back in.. By God man, his thread literally brings me tears if joy. So much awesomeness...

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, hope these graphs help you guys in future decisions.

I have several more graphs waiting to be done, just been very busy lately.

These should help give an idea of what can be expected. current version of lights and modules (updated driver) should be somewhat similar; slightly brighter, a bit less runtime (depending on module) possibly more heat.

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
I just tested my M61WLL on low in my MD2. She draws 50ma at 6 volts. 18 ma at 4.2! That's crazy.

If my math and logic is correct "and it never is" this should equate to way over 50 hours on a 3500/18650.

Thank you so much. If it's drawing 18mah from a 3500mah 18650, that would be 194 hours!

Do we know if the 'Low' on the High/Low rings provide a regulated output? Ie is it a conistent 5 lumens for x hours?

And actually, is there confirmation on 'Low' being 5 lumens with an 18650? Malkoff lists "10-20" lumens with 2xCR123.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
"Thank you so much. If it's drawing 18mah from a 3500mah 18650, that would be 194 hours!"

Yes and no.And I learning this stuff as I go as well. So yes at 4.2 volts on a 18650 it's drawing 18 ma. But as the volts change it will draw different. At 3.6 or 3.8 it might draw 50 ma or 75 who knows. So I'm still betting you will get 200 hours off of it. It will not be full power. And below 3.6 I think it is it goes into Direct drive which changes things as well.What i always do and most definitely will do once I get mine is test her out and see what real world results are.

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
"Thank you so much. If it's drawing 18mah from a 3500mah 18650, that would be 194 hours!"

Yes and no.And I learning this stuff as I go as well. So yes at 4.2 volts on a 18650 it's drawing 18 ma. But as the volts change it will draw different. At 3.6 or 3.8 it might draw 50 ma or 75 who knows. So I'm still betting you will get 200 hours off of it. It will not be full power. And below 3.6 I think it is it goes into Direct drive which changes things as well.What i always do and most definitely will do once I get mine is test her out and see what real world results are.

Ah, thank you. That is good to know.

Kind of another question comes to mind as well - does the introduction of the Hi/Lo ring at all change the previous runtimes / regulation of the M61/M61L/M61LL modules when on 'Hi'?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You will get the same draw with the hi/lo ring set on high as you will with the standard ring. That was a good question as the two rings have very different composition but I just checked and nope you get the same.

spyderco monkey

Newly Enlightened
You will get the same draw with the hi/lo ring set on high as you will with the standard ring. That was a good question as the two rings have very different composition but I just checked and nope you get the same.

Awesome, thank you.

I guess my next question is about how the Hi/Lo mode works.

Would it be possible to have a 'Hi/Medium' ring? So say, M61/425lm HI ; M61LL/100lm 'Medium'. Would the Medium 100lm mode have the same runtime as the M61LL module, or is there something about the resistor in the ring that would lower the overall efficiency / light regulation?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome, thank you.

I guess my next question is about how the Hi/Lo mode works.

Would it be possible to have a 'Hi/Medium' ring? So say, M61/425lm HI ; M61LL/100lm 'Medium'. Would the Medium 100lm mode have the same runtime as the M61LL module, or is there something about the resistor in the ring that would lower the overall efficiency / light regulation?

When the head is tightened for hi mode, the circuit is completed from the body through the ring to the dropin, just as it is through the normal ring.

When the head is loosened, the body no longer contacts the ring, but rather a spring-loaded pin in the ring. There is a resistor mounted on the back side of the contact ring, attached at one end to the ring and the other end to the spring-loaded pin. Therefore, when the head is loosened, rather than the body directly contacting the ring to complete the circuit to the head/dropin, the body contacts only the pin, and the circuit is routed through the resistor to the contact ring and the head/drop-in.

The value of the resistor can be changed to affect the output on low. However, it isn't quite as easy as just de-soldering the resistor and soldering in a new one, as the resistor is mounted to the ring with a dab of epoxy. You can pretty easily cut out the resistor with a dremel and replace it though. The lower the resistance of the resistor you use, the higher the output, and also slightly higher efficiency on "low" will be achieved. Likewise, the higher the resistance, the lower the output and slightly lower efficiency will be achieved.

Simply adding a resistor in the circuit as this switch does is not the most efficient way to regulate a circuit to a lower output, but it does work well and is reliable. If you select a resistor to set low to the same output as an M61LL using an M61 drop-in, you will not achieve the same circuit efficiency as the M61LL by itself.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco, sorry I went on and on there... I realize now that you were asking a specific question about the h/l ring and not needing a full explanation.