Man this is a good way to get the wife upset

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
"You spent $100 on flashlights?" :twak:

As you may have guessed I got my first batch of high perf lights in the mail today. To me, and to most of you, a small first step, but my wife was doing some serious eye rolling...

I started with a P1D Q5, a keychain Photon II and a couple Mag drop-in Luxeons. The Fenix was from Fenix-Store, the others from Battery Junction. Very prompt service, very pleased with that. :twothumbs

As discussed elsewhere the P1D Q5 is an amazing 'little' light. Brightness is not an issue at all - this will be a great EDC for me. I lubed it up as folks have recommended here on CPF and indeed it can be operated easily with one hand. Fenix-Store was out of natural ones (curse all of you that took them) so I got black - a few scratches won't kill me. The only disappointment was how dirty the threads were - really took some cleaning, but now it moves quite smoothly. Took it out in the backyard tonite (I live next to a big park) and OMG it's like a car headlight from 30 yards away. Love it. My next light will be a clicky but for its size this thing is amazing.

The Photon II is nothing to sneeze at either. Holy cow these things have come a long way in a couple years. Onto the keychain that one goes.

The Mag upgrades were more of an experiment - for the most part it worked out. Got a 1 watt 'MiniStar' which brightened up my car-trunk 2D considerably (after some cleaning and lubing also) and an AA upgrade from NiteIze. Not bad but given the number of really good, inexpensive AAs out there now (C-LE and such) I think I'll spend my money on new lights in the future.

Oh, and the wife? I got a 2nd Photon II, of course. "Wow, that's COOL!" :naughty:

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened
Just keep her in the loop, buy her a new light and other things once in awhile. Spend cash, dont use the bank card or credit card...or yer busted.... :nana:

daveman

Enlightened
Congrats on the P1D, it is definitely the best 1 cell twisty available in my book. :twothumbs

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible that referring to your wife as "the" wife instead of my [beautiful/ wonderful/ lovely/ amazing/ etc.] wife might get you into trouble too? :p
That said, it seems to be a common bit of contention around these parts. Good luck.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, good point. Fortunately we have one of those 'you know I'd leave you for Johnny Depp'-sort of relationships, and we laugh about everything except money.

katsyonak

Enlightened
Buy her something nice, or do something nice with her and she will forget (I think).

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
I try not to mention it until it comes in the mail. better to have done it then get yelled at then not to have done it at all. So your next light is a surefire beast II then?:huh:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
buy her a nice light, something small & shiny lika a Wee or something really girly like one of the pink maglites or the pink cheapie from DX ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8989 ). the cheapie might be good to start with as it is well... cheap. I reccommend you always give flowers with a light, as some women just don't know how to appreciate the gift of light....

sbrody

Newly Enlightened
funny, everytime i give my girl a small box as a gift she says, " is this another flashlight?" geez, occasionally its a knife! :sssh: thank goodness she likes both!

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Luckily I've always had cheap lights lying around. I tend to collect things so my wife refers to everything of mine as crap. So now she sees the expensive lights and they are also just crap. If she only knew.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
buy her a nice light, something small & shiny lika a Wee or something really girly like one of the pink maglites or the pink cheapie from DX ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8989 ). the cheapie might be good to start with as it is well... cheap. I reccommend you always give flowers with a light, as some women just don't know how to appreciate the gift of light....

the ol' throw her a bone trick eh :)
go out and buy a porche , and get her a toyota so she dont complain :devil:

Niteowl

Enlightened
Luckily I've always had cheap lights lying around. I tend to collect things so my wife refers to everything of mine as crap. So now she sees the expensive lights and they are also just crap. If she only knew.

I'm in the same boat. My beautiful/ wonderful/ lovely/ amazing/ etc. wife doesn't ask, and I don't volunteer any information. The only flak I got (other than the standard eye-rolling) was when I used the checkbook on a local purchase. "You spent $100 on a flashlight?" I asked her if she'd rather I spent $100 at a bar.........

Oh, she has commandeered at least one light for herself, and I've gotten her a few others.