• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Manker MK38vn - Brightest Full Size Popcan R (Pre-Order)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh please watch the video I linked. It's post #21.
I believe it's a video from manker. All their mk38's have smooth reflector.

I See both OP and smooth in the video.
And for this light I think OP is a must
Even with OP there is a very slight donut hole

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waaaaay better tint on the 70.2. 70.3 looks like it may be a bit brighter or more focused though. Hard to tell as it was a lousy comparison video. Thanks for sharing though.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waaaaay better tint on the 70.2. 70.3 looks like it may be a bit brighter or more focused though. Hard to tell as it was a lousy comparison video. Thanks for sharing though.

One is 6500k, one is 5000k. We don't know how their tints compare.

Want to hear more about this SFT70 version! Modded or stock. Either way it sounds super tempting! 28k lumens 380k CD? Phenomenal combination with this setup. I'd surely take nearly double the lumens of SFT40 for only 120k cd loss.

Prior to mention of this SFT70, I was all about the SFT40, head over heels. Now the SFT70 sounds even sweeter!!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Black is always nice :)

70.2 3000K +80CRI now available
22,000L, 115Kcd, 678m
E9C49958-3943-4D6C-ABAF-4A8C53A67DF7.jpeg
9AB0F54A-ED8B-48F4-B0EE-F9DD7EFAB4A2.jpeg

Patriot

Flashaholic
0fmleOp.jpg

I ended up with the SFT-40 version. The closest thing that I had previously to a popcan thrower was the K30GT90vn @ 330Kcd and to some extent, the D18vn W @ 150 Kcd. Obviously a fraction of the performance of the MK38 and I'm glad that I went with the throw version since my popcan lights are typically floody.

vWNbYUu.jpg

The build quality and finish seem to be very good and white oxide feels fairly slippery. The handle is a big upgrade from the small afterthought handles on the X80GT and K30GT, as it's very rigid and there's no slop or play. The light box reads 17,200 lumens and the light tube reads about 1000 higher. I felt fortunate to get one with a smooth reflector and I still don't know if it's the standard for this LED. Although I haven't done any throw measurements yet, the MK38 is a big jump over the K30GTvn90. It comes in behind the T27vn90 in throw but it's like turning on four of them at the same time... at least where lumens are concerned. My T27vn90 comes in at 531Kcd and 4330L so I'm guessing my MK38 is over 450Kcd. I'll update after I have time to check.

SyA5Jk5.jpg

vebWM0P.jpg

Overall, a very fun light with a good amount of heatsink. The fan is helpful for cooling after the light is shut off but probably has very little effect while in use at high output. Still, if you're using it intermittantly on turbo, the light seems to cool down more quickly between cycles.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I love the look of white but it gets dirty WAYYY too easy. I now prefer black or gray.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I love the look of white but it gets dirty WAYYY too easy. I now prefer black or gray
Yeah I could see that happening. Mine's only seen very light use so far and I put it a ditty bag and then put it in my backpack when I've gone walking, or bike riding at night. I just liked the white because it's completely different from anything else I own. Having a lot of fun with it so far.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I feel as though you can get similar performance far cheaper using SFT70s.
I'm also very curious about this LED. I haven't looked at the sizing specifications yet but it seems as though it might be a smaller die than the SBT-90. Pure speculation on my part and only based on the pictures I've seen. I'm wondering if the SFT-70 could surpass the SBT-90 in certain lights. It will be interesting to see what Vihn could do with it.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been waiting very patiently for this light. I had this light reserved from almost the day it was announced for sale. Vinh offered small discount for the first few buyers. The lights been paid for, but after I seen mankers videos on the other led and reflector options, I decided to wait. It's the sft70 emitter that I need. The sbt90 would be tempting as well…
As far as the two led options that's available now, my x65vn mini and tn40svn both do around 10k lumens and 560kcd matches fairly closely to the manker mk38vn sft 40 version at 16.5k Lumens and 500 kcd.
And my x45vn does 25k lumens and 150kcd so that will resemble the manker mk38vn xhp70 version at 34k Lumens and 120kcd. So yes, both emitter manker mk38 versions are a upgrade, but the sft70 version at maybe 28k lumens and 380kcd is exactly what I need to fill in my collection.

And patriot, I'm quite surprised you never got yourself one of these high output throwers…. They are my favorite category in flashlights, hands down. So much fun to play with. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures of this beautiful light. I also purchased the white version as well. And beautiful backdrop, love the look of the knives and wood in the background.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
D0 you have a chef knife you would recommend for $200 or less Patriot?

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've been waiting very patiently for this light. I had this light reserved from almost the day it was announced for sale. Vinh offered small discount for the first few buyers. The lights been paid for, but after I seen mankers videos on the other led and reflector options, I decided to wait. It's the sft70 emitter that I need. The sbt90 would be tempting as well…
As far as the two led options that's available now, my x65vn mini and tn40svn both do around 10k lumens and 560kcd matches fairly closely to the manker mk38vn sft 40 version at 16.5k Lumens and 500 kcd.
And my x45vn does 25k lumens and 150kcd so that will resemble the manker mk38vn xhp70 version at 34k Lumens and 120kcd. So yes, both emitter manker mk38 versions are a upgrade, but the sft70 version at maybe 28k lumens and 380kcd is exactly what I need to fill in my collection.

And patriot, I'm quite surprised you never got yourself one of these high output throwers…. They are my favorite category in flashlights, hands down. So much fun to play with. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures of this beautiful light. I also purchased the white version as well. And beautiful backdrop, love the look of the knives and wood in the background.

Yes, that SFT70 looks amazing however the SBT-90 version will be out of my budget. Still, I'm very excited to see Vinh make this light because I'm eager to see the numbers and I know he's excited about making it. 40K lumens, 275-300Kcd perhaps? !!! Just a guess... don't know if that's realistic or not.

I've got several "high output" throwers but none of them are popcan style/sized lights, so in that regard, this is my first really high output, really throwy popcan. I'm having fun with it and I love that I can stuff it in a small hydration pack when I ride around at night on my bike. I agree with you in that it might be my favorite category of light although I've limited myself to 7 total popcan's at a time. Doing this ensures that I keep my favorites and that they all get used from time to time. I think the white and grey are both neat because they're different and not commonly available across the different manufactures.

Well, I was about to take all the lights outside and photograph them but it was quite warm and I looked at my countertop and thought to myself, "that might make a fun backdrop" so it was out of laziness that it worked out that way, haha. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
D0 you have a chef knife you would recommend for $200 or less Patriot?

Yes! and I don't even have to think about this recommendation for more than 10 seconds because they're so good for the money. Also, I'm biased toward Japanese kitchen knifes because of their center balance, handles, thin blades and shallow cutting angles.

The Miyabi Mizu and the Miyabi Artisan depending on the style of handle you like. Both come in 8" traditional or 6" compact style. There are many other knives in the Miyabi line up but those are under $200 on sale and both are SG2 core sandwiched steels, which is about the best you can do at that price point. (Note: Neither are damascus but you get the fantastic steel). The 8" is on sale now. One of my favorite kitchen knives regardless of price.

If you need/want a damasscus Chef knife, the Shun Premier is hard to beat for performance and looks with true, 69 layer damascus, VG-MAX, steel. It still very good steel and where the Miyabi is sharpened to about 10° per side, the Shun is sharpened to a 15-16° per side. It's a little more durable but will still cut through vegetables incredibly effortlessly. They often go on sale and Williams Sonoma has their exclusive "blond" colored, pakkawood handle version of the Premier Series, if you like that handle color. Cutlery and More is out of the 8" version at the moment, but here's the 6".

The best value out the bunch would be the Enso HD Series, made by Yaxell knives. A 37 layer VG-10, 12° per side edge grind, hammered finish, with Japanese kanji hand engraved on the blade. This would be like the lengthy version of V54 engraving but on the knife blade. These will go on sale for 2-3 times a year for $120

Here's a little video about how Yaxell knives are made and the Miyabi Factory is very similar in type of production but even smaller than Yaxell.

All that said, I think the Miyabi has tons of character and nearly unbeatable performance.

edIt: one of those shun links was broken but it's fixed now.

Last edited: