Maratac Extreme Tactical Light

TRB

Newly Enlightened
First Post and some background:

Before posting I spent a couple of hours searching this forum. Read some interesting threads. Didn't find anything to address this issue.

My main flashlights for the last fifteen years were Streamlight and Surefire. Every one of them magically grew legs.

The Maratac Extreme Tactical Light looked like a good tool on the website. Unfortunately the switch is buried below the rim making it hard to use. That I can learn to live with. The bigger problems are that it does not have a momentary function, which it doesn't do, and intensity selection. If the switch is activated and turned off the next time the switch is pushed (if under five seconds) the intensity goes from high to medium or medium to low. While it's nice to have options this is not the way I use a light most of the time.

Is there another switch that can be installed? Is there a mod that can be done to the existing switch? Or is this a light that is going to be used for general purposes?

While I have worked at the top of the craft in a couple of different trades, I know less than zip about flashlights.

mobilerd

Newly Enlightened
All the knowledge you need is here. Only limited by the amount of time you can spend researching. Tons of info in the reviews section. I feel like I have learned a bunch in the short time I have been here. You will probably be inclined to buy lights as you learn. I have a small collection going and really am enjoying the technical aspect of the higher end LED's.

TRB

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the welcome.

The volume of information on this board is overwhelming. It could take weeks to ferret out the answer. That's why I asked in hope that someone could offer some direction.

I will continue to read.

blademan

Enlightened
I have modded lights to forward clickie before by purchasing a forward clickie module but to get the modes you want you will probably have to buy another light.
What mode order do you like? I just bought a rofis er 12 which has low and high. High is chosen by tightening the head. The light is unfortunately reverse clickie.
I always opt for forward clicky but the rofis is so nice I don't mind.

TRB

Newly Enlightened
What I really would prefer is to have a momentary option and high. The medium and low are nice but not necessary.

blademan

Enlightened
You could track down a fenix e 11. It is forward clickie with high and low. It has the same ui as the rofis er 12.

TRB

Newly Enlightened
How do you get the switch out of the cap? It seems like a press fit.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I really would prefer is to have a momentary option and high. The medium and low are nice but not necessary.
I'm not sure I've grasped this right or not.

But any light that uses the main switch (i.e. a single switch) to turn on/off and mode select, could be annoying when used for momentary purposes, as using momentary can cause it to mode shift.

What you need is either a single mode light or something with dual controls.

I would suggest looking at Klarus if you are happy with Li-ion batteries. Their UI is ideal for this. Two buttons, both easy to get at.

Main switch is a forward clicky with momentary and that's it. Meaning even if you flash it on and off manually it won't change mode.

It always starts in high too.

If you prefer AA/AAA batteries then something like a Led Lenser might be worth looking at. Performance and runtime and sustained performance isn't as good as Li-ion lights. But Led Lenser do have a smart enough UI that would probably suit you. Oddly it's a single switch, but does offer what you want.

Half press = momentary @ max output, no matter what mode you are in.

Full press (so it clicks) = High

2nd full press = low

3rd full press = off

The momentary half press works in off, high and low.