MBI #3 - Codename: HF

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies Guy, Jon & Windy. I'll be interested in your findings Guy.

I think Jon is probably correct in that the small size of the light is the most relevant factor in the heat dissipation.

Nevertheless it would be interesting to know if the "safe" time that the light can be kept on is increased for the 4th and 5th levels, for example.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies Guy, Jon & Windy. I'll be interested in your findings Guy.

I think Jon is probably correct in that the small size of the light is the most relevant factor in the heat dissipation.

Nevertheless it would be interesting to know if the "safe" time that the light can be kept on is increased for the 4th and 5th levels, for example.

Hi easilyled,

Was going to grab my IR thermometer but can't see it (too many boxes of things out right now).

I did a quick comparison and it does definitely seem to me that the copper transfers the heat further down the body of the light with the part towards the tail feeling warmer, faster on the copper than with the titanium version, which does make sense.
In terms of performance impact, having tested a fair number of experimental copper PCBs, drop-ins, etc..
the difference in performance is often visible the longer a light is kept on, because as heat builds up, there's no where else for it to go and performance starts to drop.
Often times I found little difference (but some) during the first 10 sec... (in other tests) and as time went beyond the 30sec mark, the diff became far more apparent and easily measurable over the course of 60-120 sec.

Size is a key limiting factor as Jon mentioned though, but as a guess, I'd say there should be "some" performance advantage in mode 4 (lower temp at the LED means more power is converted to light OR less power is used to deliver the same amount of light) less advantage at lower levels where heat is a less of an issue, and at mode 5, some slight advantage as the battery becomes drained and output drops. When the battery is fully charged, at mode 5, the heat build up is (most likely) going to be way faster than the possible dissipation with either Cu/Ti until I can further improve the thermal link from the LED to the body (which I have worked on, made some proto's but for now are proving to be very expensive to make in small sizes.

eg. the cost of making a 3mm ~ 4mm thick pure copper MPCB with some "special" design innovations (beyond just direct thermal bonding) was almost as expensive as making the entire HF-R head.

Fortunately, there is STILL room for further optimization (which could improve peak output by ~20%)

Tgwnn

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks for the fascinating insight Guy. All the more reason for me to also buy the Cu version in addition to the Ti version then. :thumbsup:

Puppet

Newly Enlightened
I just want to add my voice to the chorus of hosannas here. My order with Guy got a little mixed up. Oh, well: these things happen. What doesn't happen (not often anyway -- OK, not ever) is the graciousness and alacrity with which he made it right. He's a true mensch.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

I'm very close to be completely caught up on orders (about another 2-3days), thank you all for your patience.
Had my head down in total focus mode working through things. :cool:

The first packages have started travelling, (some notifications sent too) and this evening I plan to send out a mega batch including some tritted HF-Rs too.

I'll send out plenty more notifications approximately this time tomorrow (as I want to get things out to you all as quickly as possible and will catch up on notifications after posting).

Do feel very welcome to mail me directly if there's anything I can be of help with.

Thanks for the fascinating insight Guy. All the more reason for me to also buy the Cu version in addition to the Ti version then. :thumbsup:
Hi easilyled,

Again my pleasure entirely ;)

Those copper HF-R look absolutely amazing. Email sent :grin2:

Thanks ibeQuint, received warmly :D

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of hosannas here. My order with Guy got a little mixed up. Oh, well: these things happen. What doesn't happen (not often anyway -- OK, not ever) is the graciousness and alacrity with which he made it right. He's a true mensch.

Hi Puppet,

Thank you kindly for the new hosanna :grinser:

To prevent it sounding cheesy, imagine Bob Marley saying it "It's all about love!".

Pleasure is mine.

Tgwnn

Roboholic

Enlightened
Hey Guy,
I am really wanting a Cu in an XPL. Do you have any hiding around that you could make up?
Also is it possible to order a STT tail only?
Thanks

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guy,
I am really wanting a Cu in an XPL. Do you have any hiding around that you could make up?
Also is it possible to order a STT tail only?
Thanks

Hi Roboholic,

Sure, I have quite a few Cu hiding in plain site at this very moment :D
I'm close to being totally caught up on orders (which will be 100% done by the weekend at latest) and wanted to do that, come up for some air, and then make the Cu models available (I'll have them up on my website by the weekend).

STT tail, sure its possible too ;)

Do feel welcome to mail me directly.

Thanks,
Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to let you know that I emailed you earlier today Guy (in case it has gone into your spam folder). Thanks, Daniel. :)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post and let me know :thumbsup:

I've replied and sent out your tracking mail too :D

Update:
Thank you kindly to all who've been waiting on orders placed whilst I was away.

I've just sent out a bunch of "It's shipped" mails for those who've been waiting.

I do still have one final batch of packages to send out (almost all of them are trit-install orders) and I do think I'll get very close to sending out every last one by tomorrow evening.

Of course, please do feel most welcome to mail me directly if there's anything I can assist with in the meantime. When I'm hammered with orders, my modus operandus is usually to handle emails in my daytime (when I'm away from home) and focus on fulfilment during the late hours of the night.

:bow:
Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:
A quick note to say I've added some HF-R Cu (Copper) to my website :party:

As I am still somewhat floundered with requests, please note orders will take approximately 1 week to fulfill.

IMG_5930_zps0g6tkmvq.jpg

IMG_5929_zpsfrmnfe75.jpg

IMG_5949_zpsydjlkanh.jpg

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get those Cu HF-Rs before they're gone! :), Brass HF-Rs soon? ;)
Thanks jonwkng :D
Brass... hmm maybe for 2016 ;)

Order in.:eek:, Copper with 6
HF-R Cu (Copper),Trit Install,Charger,Additional 2x10250 nukes.
Ordered a copper!
Order placed!
Thank you very much :bow:

Hey I was wondering if any zoom heads with XML were in the works.
Hi greatabpe,

I think I have just 2 or 3 XML-2 ZoomHeads hidden away.
I made just a handful a while back but as the quantity was low, I'd never added them to my website.
Please mail me directly for more details.

Tgwnn